Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to cut a 4" round hole in soffit - no hole saw.

I need to cut a 4" round hole in a soffit, from underneath, while
standing on a ladder. The soffit is not horizontal, it slants upward
from the gutter towards the house.

We may have some access to the soffit from above, perhaps enough to
drive a screw through with a right angle drill to locate the position
on the outside, but I don't think I have enough room to get a jig saw
in there.

My guess is that it will all have to be done from the ladder. I don't
want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw and arbor for this one
hole, so I'm looking for creative suggestions from this fine group.

I'm think that I don't want to use a router, upside down, while
standing on a 28' ladder. I'm not even sure a jig saw will be that
easy to use.

The hole will be covered with the cover shown at the link below, so it
doesn't have to be perfect, I just need to feed (and attach) a 4"
aluminum elbow to the hole.

http://cdn.oneprojectcloser.com/wp-c...5/DSC_0135.jpg

Maybe just a series of holes drilled in a circular pattern will be
good enough, but I'd prefer soemthing a bit neater.

Suggestions?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

My suggestion is a cheaper hole saw, since it's a one-off project:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8624_200518624

Standing on a 28' ladder, working overhead on a slanted surface, I'd not
risk my neck trying to save a couple of dollars by using the wrong tool.
So even if it was $45, I'd pony up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/1/2012 9:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

My guess is that it will all have to be done from the ladder. I don't
want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw and arbor...

Surely you already have a holesaw arbor???

The 4" holesaw shouldn't be but $15 or so even at the local Ace; if you
have a HF it's probably half of that or less...a 3-piece set of large
sizes is $20 or there's bound to be a bargain-tool bin around various
outlets...

Of course, the few pilot holes and a keyhole saw works...or a small trim
router wouldn't be too hard to handle or even one of the multi-tools.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 10:42*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

So even if it was $45, I'd pony up.- Hide quoted text -

Project is tonight...no time order any tools.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Actually, I don't have a hole saw arbor. The very few round holes I've
needed to cut have always been small enough that no arbor was needed.

I do however have a set of keyhole saws so I'll bring those along.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/01/2012 07:32 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

If it's going to be covered by a plate or cover of some type (and it
would need to be unless you want to make another post asking about how
to get rid of pests from the attic), a circular drill pattern would
work, but I'd just spend the $15 at HF and buy the set of hole saws.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw
and arbor for this one hole...

If you are going to do the work yourself, you need
to use the RIGHT tools!

I would also rent some scaffolding and NOT stand on
a ladder to do this work*. Medical bills can be
a LOT more expensive that what you would save
not using the correct tools.

*What happens when the hole saw gets stuck and
the electric drill starts to turn your body in
a circle? (While standing on a ladder.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 11:07*am, Jon Danniken
wrote:
[...]

Jon- Hide quoted text -

The HF near me has a set in stock. I'll pick it up this afternoon. $12
w/coupon.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/1/2012 10:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Actually, I don't have a hole saw arbor. The very few round holes I've
needed to cut have always been small enough that no arbor was needed.
However, a friend has a hole saw kit that goes up to 3 1/2". Maybe I
could use his arbor and just buy the 4" holesaw. Are arbors brand-
specific or generic?

That haven't ever had need for holesaw seems most unusual but guess
everybody has done different stuff...

Anyway, the inexpensive arbors are standard w/ some exceptions--in all
likelihood his will work.

One thing since apparently you've not used one before--a large diameter
holesaw can exert a _LOT_ of torque and on a ladder it's going to be
pretty spooky as well...whatever you do, be prepared to let go; don't
even think of locking the power level...

Drill a few practice holes on the ground first (and trying one overhead
wouldn't be a bad idea, either) to get a feel; you may change your mind
and go back to the holes and keyhole saw after you do...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:31:57 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 10/1/2012 10:01 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Actually, I don't have a hole saw arbor. The very few round holes I've
needed to cut have always been small enough that no arbor was needed.
However, a friend has a hole saw kit that goes up to 3 1/2". Maybe I
could use his arbor and just buy the 4" holesaw. Are arbors brand-
specific or generic?

That haven't ever had need for holesaw seems most unusual but guess
everybody has done different stuff...

Anyway, the inexpensive arbors are standard w/ some exceptions--in all
likelihood his will work.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion-- I was just in my hole saw drawer
the other day and I have 4 arbors.

-snip-
Drill a few practice holes on the ground first (and trying one overhead
wouldn't be a bad idea, either) to get a feel; you may change your mind
and go back to the holes and keyhole saw after you do...

Amen-- and drill that hole all the way through the same material as
the soffit-- and do it at a slight angle like you're liable to have
off the ladder.

Take it slow. . . .

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
[...]

Call your local tool rental places to see who can rent you a 4" hole saw

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Suggestions?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202717398/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=holse+saw+kit&storeId=10051

$13 for a kit includes 4"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message
t...

*What happens when the hole saw gets stuck and
the electric drill starts to turn your body in
a circle? (While standing on a ladder.)

Back off the pressure and take my finger off the trigger is what I do
Works every time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 12:41*pm, "Atila Iskander" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Suggestions?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202717398/h_d2/ProductDisplay...

$13 for a kit includes 4"

$12 at HF. Just picked up a set...and got a free flashlight!. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 11:32*am, dpb wrote:
[...]

I guess I should have said what I said differently. I've used large
hole saws before, but I've always been able to use someone else's.
I've not needed them often enough to buy one. In this instance, we
have to get the job done tonight and I have not been able to put my
hands on anything larger then 3 1/2" with such short notice.

Anyway, I just picked up the $15 set at HF for $12.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Holesaw cheaper than ambulance ride, and six weeks off the job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Smitty Two" wrote in message

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...8624_200518624

Standing on a 28' ladder, working overhead on a slanted surface, I'd not
risk my neck trying to save a couple of dollars by using the wrong tool.
So even if it was $45, I'd pony up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hole saw cheaper than ambulance. Call the local hardware stores, and see if
you can rent one. But, that one will probably be dull.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I got some HF metal cutting hole saws -- totaly useless. You may do better
with one from HD or L.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

The HF near me has a set in stock. I'll pick it up this afternoon. $12
w/coupon.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wobble the drill around, a lot. This will make the drilling easier, and also
make the saw cut wider. So, the wood plug comes out a lot easier.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

-snip-
Drill a few practice holes on the ground first (and trying one overhead
wouldn't be a bad idea, either) to get a feel; you may change your mind
and go back to the holes and keyhole saw after you do...

Amen-- and drill that hole all the way through the same material as
the soffit-- and do it at a slight angle like you're liable to have
off the ladder.

Take it slow. . . .

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hope it actually drills. I've had HF hole saws which were useless.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202717398/h_d2/ProductDisplay...

$13 for a kit includes 4"

$12 at HF. Just picked up a set...and got a free flashlight!. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yourself, or next of kin, please tell us how the job went.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"DerbyDad03"
wrote in message

Anyway, I just picked up the $15 set at HF for $12.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Yourself, or next of kin, please tell us how the job went.

WTF is up with this idiotic trend of misusing "yourself" and "myself"
lately. This b.s. is even more annoying than the "where's it at" thing.

99.999% of y'all would *never* say "Myself went to get a cup of coffee"
so why the hell would you say "Myself and my friends went to get a cup
of coffee?" Is the whole world illiterate now?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Yourself, or next of kin, please tell us how the job went.

I was going to pick on your choice of "yourself," but I guess I'll just
criticize your sentence structure instead.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Turn a router into a compass...

1. fasten a piece of ply to bottom, needs to extend more than 2" on one side

2. drive a nail thru the ply 2" from center

3. have at it

But since you don't want to use a router, draw a 4" circle with a regular
compass and cut it out with whatever. As you suggest, a series of holes
works just fine. Router is easier/faster though.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/1/2012 11:02 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion-- I was just in my hole saw drawer
the other day and I have 4 arbors.

I've at least three and they're all interchangeable although not
identical...one has points for a driving hole but it's not difficult to
adapt to them...

As said, it depends but I'll risk that odds are good...anyway, if
borrows the neighbor's arbor and heads to the hardware store he'll
likely have no trouble.

Again of course it's always possible the neighbor has the oddball...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've bought nested multi sized multi blade hole saws in the bargain
bins at various hardware and drug stores over the years. You remove
all of the nested saw blades but the size you need. Usually about $5.
Not sure it goes as big as 4" though, might only be 3 or 3.5

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 2:40*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Winters getting colder? *Tired of the rat race?
Maybe just ready for a change? *Check it out...http://www.floridaloghouse.net- Hide quoted text -

I like your suggestion, I've even used something similar in the past -
at ground level. ;-)

Issue here is I don't think I have enough room to use the extended
base on a full size router up in the limited width of the soffit.

Now that I have the 1" deep hole saw set from HF I'm hoping against
hope that there is enough room above the soffit to get the hole saw
started with the right angle attachment for my drill. We'll see.

I also bought new blades for my HF MF tool, so if all else fails, a
bunch of plunge cuts should do the trick.

Oh yeah, I'll be lighting the project with my HF 500W work lights. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 2:21*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 1, 2:40*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah, I'll be lighting the project with my HF 500W work lights. ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Send us the final debriefing, and a picture if you can get one after
dark with the HF light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, that's a bit interesting. Of course, I may
be totally wrong, and this is a chance to learn.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Yourself, or next of kin, please tell us how the job went.

WTF is up with this idiotic trend of misusing "yourself" and "myself"
lately. This b.s. is even more annoying than the "where's it at" thing.

99.999% of y'all would *never* say "Myself went to get a cup of coffee"
so why the hell would you say "Myself and my friends went to get a cup
of coffee?" Is the whole world illiterate now?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hopefully, I won't do anything else stupid with?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Smitty Two" wrote in message news:notpublicinfo-

I was going to pick on your choice of "yourself," but I guess I'll just
criticize your sentence structure instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please report back, but not yourself. You'z goys. (Brooklyn)

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Now that I have the 1" deep hole saw set from HF I'm hoping against
hope that there is enough room above the soffit to get the hole saw
started with the right angle attachment for my drill. We'll see.

I also bought new blades for my HF MF tool, so if all else fails, a
bunch of plunge cuts should do the trick.

Oh yeah, I'll be lighting the project with my HF 500W work lights. ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
I don't want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw
and arbor for this one hole...

If you are going to do the work yourself, you need
to use the RIGHT tools!

I would also rent some scaffolding and NOT stand on
a ladder to do this work*. Medical bills can be
a LOT more expensive that what you would save
not using the correct tools.

*What happens when the hole saw gets stuck and
the electric drill starts to turn your body in
a circle? (While standing on a ladder.)

You would rent scaffolding to cut one hole? Having never rented
scaffolding, my guess is it would be cheaper/easier to just call a
contractor and have him/her cut the hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 1, 2:40 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

The final debriefing will have to wait.

Once we pulled back the insulation we found that there is not enough room
in the soffit area to use the 4 aluminum 90 that we were going to put in
there.

We're going to either have to find some flat ductwork that will fit down
into the soffit area or go out through the roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

Well, that's a bit interesting. Of course, I may
be totally wrong, and this is a chance to learn.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" wrote:

Yourself, or next of kin, please tell us how the job went.

WTF is up with this idiotic trend of misusing "yourself" and "myself"
lately. This b.s. is even more annoying than the "where's it at" thing.

99.999% of y'all would *never* say "Myself went to get a cup of coffee"
so why the hell would you say "Myself and my friends went to get a cup
of coffee?" Is the whole world illiterate now?

Thanks for the comment Stormy. You aw-'ite.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

Is the whole world illiterate now?

Prolly

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bill wrote:
I don't want to spend upwards of $45 for a 4" hole saw
and arbor for this one hole...

If you are going to do the work yourself, you need
to use the RIGHT tools!

I would also rent some scaffolding and NOT stand on
a ladder to do this work*. Medical bills can be
a LOT more expensive that what you would save
not using the correct tools.

*What happens when the hole saw gets stuck and
the electric drill starts to turn your body in
a circle? (While standing on a ladder.)

After falling backwards 4 foot off the ground, I would not even try doing
work at 28 feet.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote:
I got some HF metal cutting hole saws -- totaly useless. You may do better
with one from HD or L.

I would think most metal cutting hole saws would be useless. But, my HF
hole saws have done me right through wood.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Perhaps you can just cut a rectangular or any other convenient shape hole,
then cover it with a piece of wood that you've cut the hole in while on
the ground.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i45_jQJYfY

This should do it though you might need to touch up the edges with a
wood rasp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

A courteous reply on Usenet? There oughta be a law.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..