Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing damaged kitchen cabinet doors

The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become quite damaged
from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair.

Are there any companies or contractors who could replace them with a
similar finish? Since all the other kitchen cabinets and their doors
and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all the cabinets
just because two doors are damaged.

I live in northern Massachusetts.

--
Steven L.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/13/2012 11:04 AM, Steven L. wrote:
The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become quite damaged
from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair.

Are there any companies or contractors who could replace them with a
similar finish? Since all the other kitchen cabinets and their doors
and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all the cabinets
just because two doors are damaged.

I live in northern Massachusetts.

If in doubt, post some photos. Surface damage? Split? Loose veneer?

If they truly need to be replaced, you might try a Habitat for Humanity
home store....the one I have shopped at had loads of cabinet doors.
Chances of perfect match are probably nil, but refinishing might be
satisfactory.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 10:06*am, "Steven L." wrote:
The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become quite damaged
from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair.

Are there any companies or contractors who could replace them with a
similar finish? * Since all the other kitchen cabinets and their doors
and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all the cabinets
just because two doors are damaged.

I live in northern Massachusetts.

--
Steven L.

Photos would give everyone here a much better chance of giving you an
intelligent answer about refinishing vs replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:
The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become
quite damaged
from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair.

Are there any companies or contractors who could replace
them with a
similar finish? Since all the other kitchen cabinets and
their doors
and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all
the
cabinets just because two doors are damaged.

I live in northern Massachusetts.

http://woodworking.rockler.com/c/cabinet-doors-drawers

they come unfinished, so you would have to finish them or
have someone else try to match the old finish

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 13, 1:31*pm, "ChairMan" wrote:
Steven L. wrote:
The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become
quite damaged
from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair.

Are there any companies or contractors who could replace
them with a
similar finish? * Since all the other kitchen cabinets and
their doors
and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all
the
cabinets just because two doors are damaged.

I live in northern Massachusetts.

http://woodworking.rockler.com/c/cabinet-doors-drawers

they come unfinished, so you would have to finish them or
have someone else try to match the old finish

I'd take one of the doors to a few local kitchen cabinet
companies and see what they say. They may be able
to quickly identify them, know if they are available, etc.
And see if there is any identifying info as to the local
company that installed them, who made them, etc.
If they are not available, there isn't something very close
that could work, etc then they could almost certainly be
reproduced or repaired. How much will depend on if
it's a simple cabinet door or one with a lot of detail, etc.

Cabinet makers can do some cool things. I
recently replaced a fridge and ovens. In both cases
I needed to have the cabinets above shortened. Local
guy did both of them for $225. Now I have a nice
tall fridge and shiney new double ovens. In the case of
the ovens, I also went from 27" to 30". I performed that
part of the cabinet matching magic myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 13 Oct 2012 11:04:59 -0400, "Steven L."
wrote:

The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become quite damaged
from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair.

Are there any companies or contractors who could replace them with a
similar finish? Since all the other kitchen cabinets and their doors
and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all the cabinets
just because two doors are damaged.

I live in northern Massachusetts.

Lot of "ifs" in a situation like this. If you know the builder of the
house you may be able to find out if he used a particular brand of
cabinet. If you live in a subdivision with all kitchens the same, you
may get lucky and find someone updating and getting rid of their
cabinets that are identical to yours.

My guess though, the cabinets have not been made for a number of years
so you will be looking for similar style doors and refinishing to
match. It may be easier to freshen up the kitchen by refinishing all
the doors so they are the same.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steven L. wrote:
[...]

Thats another alternative and probably the easiest

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Photos was: Replacing damaged kitchen cabinet doors

wrote:

The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become quite damaged
from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair.

Are there any companies or contractors who could replace them with a
similar finish? Since all the other kitchen cabinets and their doors
and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all the cabinets
just because two doors are damaged.

I live in northern Massachusetts.

Lot of "ifs" in a situation like this. If you know the builder of the
house you may be able to find out if he used a particular brand of
cabinet. If you live in a subdivision with all kitchens the same, you
may get lucky and find someone updating and getting rid of their
cabinets that are identical to yours.

The cabinets were made by a company called Cardell Cabinetry. I tried
to contact their sales rep, but it turns out he just departed on a
business trip to Europe and won't be back for a number of weeks.

Here is a photo of the relatively undamaged upper cabinets:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2eocl78.jpg

And here is a photo of the lower right damaged cabinet door:

http://oi46.tinypic.com/34nl4bd.jpg

--
Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Shoot, that looks like solid oak. I'd take it apart, strip it and
refinish. If joints are loose, reglue and clamp them. If panel is
veneer, reglue, clamp, sand. Looks like some sort of golden oak
stain...to match that, I would take a good door to a real paint store
and see if they can match the stain. If you get a close match, consider
refinishing the adjoining doors and face so there is less contrast. You
might not be able to remove all of the black with just light sanding,
but solid oak is good stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

but solid oak is good stuff.- Hide quoted text -

I pretty much agree. If new doors are readily available, then
would be an option. But from the pics it looks like those
doors could be refinished and come out looking nice.

I put in new ovens a couple years ago. Beneath the ovens
there was a drawer that had been damaged by something
running over it. Most likely oven cleaner, because there
were long drip marks that were black and would not come
out. I sanded it, found a stain that matched, and it came
out so nice you'd never know it was damaged.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I agree...Those are also the most common cabinets I see here in New
England..Atleast here in midcoast Maine which isn't far from you...I think
you could find used ones at a salvage place quite easily... I bet they are
still made as well...Take your photos into a kitchen outlet or local
building supply place that sells cabinets..HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 07:28:17 -0400, "Steven L."
wrote:

The cabinets were made by a company called Cardell Cabinetry. I tried
to contact their sales rep, but it turns out he just departed on a
business trip to Europe and won't be back for a number of weeks.

Here is a photo of the relatively undamaged upper cabinets:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2eocl78.jpg

And here is a photo of the lower right damaged cabinet door:

http://oi46.tinypic.com/34nl4bd.jpg

Replacing them, if available, may be easy, but they are definitely
able to be refinished. Strip, sand, stain, finish coat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Those are both excellent suggestions.

I bought sandpaper and stain, and I'll try restoring the doors to a
reasonable state.

If that fails, I'll look around for a salvage place that might stock
doors from Cardell Cabinetry.

Thanks.

-- Steven L.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

-- Steven L.- Hide quoted text -

When doing the stain, I'd consider trying it on the inside
surface first, so you can see how it works and looks.
There is a lot of variability from wood to wood, how long
it's left on, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:45:08 PM UTC-4, Tranna wrote:
replying to Steven L. , Tranna wrote:

sdlitvin wrote:

The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become quite damaged

from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair.

Are there any companies or contractors who could replace them with a

similar finish? Since all the other kitchen cabinets and their doors

and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all the cabinets

just because two doors are damaged.

I live in northern Massachusetts.

I live in Atlanta and have a similar situation. I need two Cardell cabinet

doors replaced. I've contacted so many places but have yet to find a place

that can replace the doors. Please let me know if you had any luck. Thank

you.

Cardell has a website. It lists who carries their cabinets.
Did you contact any of them? What did they say? Contact
Cardell? What did they say? I would think you could find
a company that carries their product, email them a pic and
see if the doors are still made, etc. If they are, then
you could probably get them from any company, not just local.
Send them a good door if needed to match the finish, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 13, 2012 10:06:06 AM UTC-5, Steven L. wrote:
The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become quite damaged from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair. Are there any companies or contractors who could replace them with a similar finish? Since all the other kitchen cabinets and their doors and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all the cabinets just because two doors are damaged. I live in northern Massachusetts. -- Steven L.

It looks just like the Oak cabinet doors I put on my kitchen cabinets form Kraft-Maid. Have you been to any localHD, Lowes, etc to sere aht kind of cabinets they have. There are a limited number of possibilities for cabinet door styles, I'd be very surprised if you could not match the style fairly easily.

IO insisted on Oak when myt wife really wanted Maple, becuase I knew that Oak can be refinished much more easily and is almost indestructable. From the color of the photos, I would say something sounding like Golden Oak would be the first stain I would try, and on the inside of a door as someone else suggested.. Mostly you will have a lot of sanding and working of the finish remover into all the cracks using old toothbrushes, but you should be able to come up with a perfectly fine looking pair of doors when you are done.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 26, 2013 9:46:12 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, October 13, 2012 10:06:06 AM UTC-5, Steven L. wrote:

The two kitchen cabinet doors under the sink have become quite damaged from water over the years, probably beyond easy repair. Are there any companies or contractors who could replace them with a similar finish? Since all the other kitchen cabinets and their doors and drawers are in good shape, I would hate to replace all the cabinets just because two doors are damaged.. I live in northern Massachusetts. -- Steven L.

It looks just like the Oak cabinet doors I put on my kitchen cabinets form Kraft-Maid. Have you been to any localHD, Lowes, etc to sere aht kind of cabinets they have. There are a limited number of possibilities for cabinet door styles, I'd be very surprised if you could not match the style fairly easily.

The pics are from an original post by someone else a year
ago that also had Cardell cabinets. This new poster has
cabinets from that company, but the pics are not of their
cabinets. It gets very confusing when someone re-opens an
old thread instead of starting a new one.