Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Have you had to replace your fuel pump?

If you own a fuel injected vehicle, have you had to replace your (in the
gas tank) fuel pump in the last 2 years?

I'm asking this because everyone I know who owns a fuel injected vehicle
has had this problem in the last year or two. The local mechanic said
that 2/3 of his business is replacing those in the gas tank pumps, and
the average cost is $600.

I have a 23 year old car with a carburetor and I've never replaced the
mchanical fuel pump which is mounted on the engine block. If I needed
to replace it, the pump costs $24, and takes a half hour or less to
replace. (No gas tank removal).

At the same time, I have another vehicle, a newer pickup truck, with
fuel injction, and an in tank electric pump, and I've replaced it 3
times in 4 years. In fact I finally cut an access panel (above th gas
tank) in the truck bed, because I refused to drop the tank again. Each
pump has cost around $120 just for the pump itself, and once the whole
pump/float unit had to be replaced at a cost of $275.

They call this *PROGRESS*. I call it *GARBAGE*.

I'm just curious how many of you have had to replace yours?
I think a class action lawsuit is in order against the manufacturers of
the vehicles as well as the pump makers.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a manifold for my truck that will allow
me to fit a carburetor in place of the fuel injection system, which by
the way sucks more gas than the old carb engine.

We'll just check that old fuel pump and -- eew! Tim Wescott Metalworking 15 June 1st 09 01:35 AM
oil furnace fuel pump Hawk352 Home Repair 3 October 11th 08 07:22 AM
Fuel transfer pump Roger UK diy 16 February 21st 08 06:04 PM
dual fuel heat pump and gen. Gary Home Repair 13 February 2nd 07 12:57 AM
dual fuel heat pump Gary Home Repair 2 October 25th 05 06:01 PM