Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Did you know this about The Gas Company?

I don’t know about other states or gas companies but here in Southern California, unless it’s an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I don’t know about other states or gas companies but here in Southern
California, unless it’s an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a
licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before you
can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter?

{{

Call your local gas company.

That said I don't know about California but all the states I've lived there
was a gas cut off a the meter that the homeowner could shut off the gas
(same with water and electric).

Disconnect is another matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

wrote in message
I don’t know about other states or gas companies but here in Southern
California, unless it’s an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a
licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before
you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter?

How would they even know if you turned off the gas and then turned it back
on? I is simply a valve before the meter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If the meter reader happens to come and see that the valve is turned-off,
he calls it in and you get a “closing bill” at the end of the month
where you will have to pay $25.00 to re-start your bill/service.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
If the meter reader happens to come and see that the valve is turned-off,
he calls it in and you get a “closing bill” at the end of the month
where you will have to pay $25.00 to re-start your bill/service.

Must be a local thing not the case where I've lived.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012 18:42:23 -0400, "EXT"
wrote:

wrote in message
I don’t know about other states or gas companies but here in Southern
California, unless it’s an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a
licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before
you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter?

How would they even know if you turned off the gas and then turned it back
on? I is simply a valve before the meter.

Done right, they won't know. Done wrong, they will know because they
have to send out a serviceman to light your pilots, bleed the lines,
etc. Usually, these rules are to protect themselves from ignorant
homeowners.

I've also known a few people to make gas connections without turning
the gas off. It is low pressure so they just broke the connection and
made a quick reconnection with a valve and piped the rest of the line
from there.

Depending on local and state laws, you may have to have a licensed gas
fitter do the work and have an inspection done afterwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

“and how are they to know it wasn't an emergency?”

I’m afraid I have a lot of trouble lying.

“I know in northern california most of the meters are remotely read, can't imagine what with the subsidies they got that gas companies in southern california aren't remotely read, so no problem with meter readers.”

No remote anything where I turned-off the gas.

"or if everything you say is true, you can just state that the meter reader was
wrong...who are they going to believe?"

I don’t have any trouble leaving out certain facts but it’s almost impossible for me to lie about anything. One of the reasons my spouse married me I guess.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm a licensed contractor and I didn't know about this law until today.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 1:48*pm, wrote:
I don’t know about other states or gas companies but here in Southern California, unless it’s an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter?

Please provide cite.....

cheers
Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 9:48*pm, wrote:
I don’t know about other states or gas companies but here in Southern California, unless it’s an emergency, per The Gas Company rules, as a licensed contractor or resident, you have to call the gas company before you can turn-off the gas to a house from the meter?

Weird.
The recommendation here is that if you smell gas, shut off the gas,
open the windows, don't operate electrical appliances and call the gas
company.
I can't imagine it being different anywhere else.

A danger is that air might get into the pipes so they need to be
purged before turning back on.

Virtually no appliances here have pilot lights any more.

Lots of people turn off the gas, water and electricity when they go
away/vacation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 8, 10:10*pm, wrote:
I'm a licensed contractor and I didn't know about this law until today.

Law gas company rules
Posted to alt.home.repair

Under the regulations of the California Public Utilities
Commission (CPUC), General Order 112-E, only SoCalGas
is authorized to operate the gas service shut-off valve

See page 10

http://www.socalgas.com/documents/sa...ergy_guide.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 11:20*am, wrote:
Under the regulations of the California Public Utilities
Commission (CPUC), General Order 112-E, only SoCalGas
is authorized to operate the gas service shut-off valve

See page 10

http://www.socalgas.com/documents/sa...ergy_guide.pdf

Yes, I see where the gas company document says that.
However, I pulled up the actual CPUC General Order 112-E,
which they use as their basis:

http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PUBLISHED/GE...DER/126869.htm

It's not that long and little of it actually applies to residential
gas systems. And I don't see anything in there that says what the gas
company claims.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
" wrote:

On Oct 9, 11:20*am, wrote:
Under the regulations of the California Public Utilities
Commission (CPUC), General Order 112-E, only SoCalGas
is authorized to operate the gas service shut-off valve

See page 10

http://www.socalgas.com/documents/sa...ergy_guide.pdf

Yes, I see where the gas company document says that.
However, I pulled up the actual CPUC General Order 112-E,
which they use as their basis:

http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PUBLISHED/GE...DER/126869.htm

It's not that long and little of it actually applies to residential
gas systems. And I don't see anything in there that says what the gas
company claims.

Is it unheard of to put another valve on the house side of the meter?
Seems like that would keep everyone happy. I put a valve just before the
line enters the house, but that's about 300 yards from the meter. So, I
can work on stuff inside, but if the line breaks (again) between the
meter and the house, I'd have to go to the gas company owned valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

This might be a good opportunity to sell
a house gas valve installation to clients.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I've seen, and installed, gas valve with a turn
handle. No wrench needed.

Good idea.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
This might be a good opportunity to sell
a house gas valve installation to clients.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/9/2012 10:54 AM, wrote:
On Oct 9, 11:20 am, wrote:
Under the regulations of the California Public Utilities
Commission (CPUC), General Order 112-E, only SoCalGas
is authorized to operate the gas service shut-off valve

See page 10

http://www.socalgas.com/documents/sa...ergy_guide.pdf

Yes, I see where the gas company document says that.
However, I pulled up the actual CPUC General Order 112-E,
which they use as their basis:

http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PUBLISHED/GE...DER/126869.htm

It's not that long and little of it actually applies to residential
gas systems. And I don't see anything in there that says what the gas
company claims.

Well, the problem w/ that link is that it has a page-and-a-half of
addenda/updates listed that are thereby incorporated by reference. So,
unless one looks through all of those to find the latest that is
applicable one doesn't have the full story. In particular, I see a
reference to a Section 192 that isn't there and it seems to bear the
brunt of activity.

That said, if certainly seems to be another case of overkill in
nanny-stateism. (I forget, is CA one of the "can't pump your own
gasoline 'cuz you're too stupid to put the hose back up" states, too?)

Posted to alt.home.repair

As I understand it Section 192
is a part of Title 49 of CFR (Code of Federal Regulations).
Looks like the same nanny is in your house too.
Senior Member

Here in Manitoba, you're not allowed to do your own gas fitting unless you have a gas fitters licence. They enforce that rule by giving gas fitters special lead tags with their own distinct number on them. When the gas fitter finishes his work, he crimps a wire tag onto the gas valve sealing it open. The only way to change the gas valve position is by breaking that wire, thereby showing that the tag was tampered with. The wire is small enough so that in an emergency, you can close the valve if you need to.

They're pretty strict about that kinda stuff. Even though a reasonably competent person should be able to do their own gas fitting and check for leaks with dish washing detergent, the consequences of a gas leak can be so enormous that gas line work is restricted to people specifically trained for that kinda stuff.

Last edited by nestork : October 9th 12 at 08:04 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 09 Oct 2012 14:26:38 -0500, Gordon Shumway
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012 09:59:47 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

This might be a good opportunity to sell
a house gas valve installation to clients.

Just a minor rant.

It would be a lot easier to follow this thread if you wouldn't snip
all of the relevant parts of the previous post.

Rant over.

True.

Rant over.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Harbor Freight used to have item 94310, I have one. Gas shut off wrench.
Good idea to have one near the meter, but they are no longer for sale.

Ebay to the rescue:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/House-Gas-Sh...em35c068 bea5

Or, you can save your life! With the made in USA tool:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earthquake-H...em35bfb8 2895

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
wrote:
Under the regulations of the California Public Utilities
Commission (CPUC), General Order 112-E, only SoCalGas
is authorized to operate the gas service shut-off valve

See page 10

http://www.socalgas.com/documents/sa...ergy_guide.pdf

In my area, there is always a valve ahead of the meter and another just
past it on the customer side. The gas company has a seal on the valve
ahead of the meter and a tag that says it's for their use only. The
other valve, after the meter, is for the consumer's use.

plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Done right, they won't know. Done wrong, they will know because they
have to send out a serviceman to light your pilots, bleed the lines,
etc. Usually, these rules are to protect themselves from ignorant
homeowners.

+1

It's a safety thing, not a scam to charge you for turning it off.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

The recommendation here is that if you smell gas, shut off the gas,
open the windows, don't operate electrical appliances and call the gas
company.

Call from a cell phone OUTSIDE or the neighbor's home. Phone line
voltage *can* produce a spark in rare circumstances just by lifting the
receiver.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/9/2012 10:02 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
harry wrote:

The recommendation here is that if you smell gas, shut off the gas,
open the windows, don't operate electrical appliances and call the gas
company.

Call from a cell phone OUTSIDE or the neighbor's home. Phone line
voltage *can* produce a spark in rare circumstances just by lifting the
receiver.

It would have to be a very old phone that weighs a ton to have open
mechanical contacts on the handset hook switch. I'd be more worried
about static electric discharge from your hand to something like a
metal door knob. I've seen some nice big sparks and I would often spray
fabric softener on the carpets back in the old days when computer gear
was more susceptible to static electricity discharge. Oh yea, be sure to
flip the light switch on your way out the door. We must conserve energy. O_o

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Harbor Freight used to have item 94310, I have one. Gas shut off wrench.
Good idea to have one near the meter, but they are no longer for sale.

Ebay to the rescue:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/House-Gas-Sh...em35c068 bea5

Or, you can save your life! With the made in USA tool:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earthquake-H...em35bfb8 2895

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

10-12 in crescent wrench does the job and has for over 50 years in our
world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Those, or pipe wrenches do the job nicely. The dorky gas tool is nice, for
people who don't know about Crescent wrenches.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"NotMe" wrote in message ...

10-12 in crescent wrench does the job and has for over 50 years in our
world.

Posted to alt.home.repair

harry wrote:

The recommendation here is that if you smell gas, shut off the gas,
open the windows, don't operate electrical appliances and call the gas
company.

Call from a cell phone OUTSIDE or the neighbor's home. Phone line
voltage *can* produce a spark in rare circumstances just by lifting the
receiver.

It would have to be a very old phone that weighs a ton to have open
mechanical contacts on the handset hook switch. I'd be more worried
about static electric discharge from your hand to something like a
metal door knob. I've seen some nice big sparks and I would often spray
fabric softener on the carpets back in the old days when computer gear
was more susceptible to static electricity discharge. Oh yea, be sure to
flip the light switch on your way out the door. We must conserve energy. O_o

Some (old?) light switfches make sparks, don't they? I've heard of
somone polyurethaning his wood floor and causing an explosion with the
lightswitch.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/09/2012 09:17 PM, wrote:

[snip]

-"wild" pilots are no longer
allowed, so the chance of an unlit pilot causing a safety issue are
extremely remote today.

I know someone who lost a house because on one in 1989. It was an old
gas stove.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"We discover in the gospels a groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things
impossible, of superstition, fanaticism and fabrication." -- THOMAS
JEFFERSON

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 9, 3:41*pm, micky wrote:
Just a minor rant.

It would be a lot easier to follow this thread if you wouldn't snip
all of the relevant parts of the previous post.

Rant over.

True.

Rant over.

Why the rant? You do not remember what you read 10 seconds ago?
I'm confused. Why re-read everything?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 7:33*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Those, or pipe wrenches do the job nicely. The dorky gas tool is nice, for
people who don't know about Crescent wrenches.

I wonder of the people who buy the special wrench,
how many can find it when they need it......

..
Posted to alt.home.repair

A very few people put the wrench next to the
gas meter. But, those folks usually have a
crescent or pipe wrench.

The rest of folks can't find the special wrench.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

I wonder of the people who buy the special wrench,
how many can find it when they need it......

..

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Those, or pipe wrenches do the job nicely. The dorky gas tool is nice,
for
people who don't know about Crescent wrenches.

I wonder of the people who buy the special wrench,
how many can find it when they need it......

I have a cheap wrench tied to the pipe with a small-link chain right next to
the valve.
The chain is long enough for the wench to be used and big enough not to be
easily removed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:19:52 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

On Oct 9, 3:41*pm, micky wrote:
Just a minor rant.

It would be a lot easier to follow this thread if you wouldn't snip
all of the relevant parts of the previous post.

Rant over.

True.

Rant over.

Why the rant? You do not remember what you read 10 seconds ago?
I'm confused.

I'm so sorry you are confused. I will try to help alleviate that
confusion.

The reason it is beneficial to not only see the relevant text that is
being replied to but also who is being replied to as well is because
once the original post, and possibly the first replies, have been read
those messages will disappear from the message window, assuming you
are using a news reader which you are not. Later, much longer than 10
seconds, when you retrieve new messages you see a message and you
won't know who is being replied to or what they said without viewing
old messages.

Why re-read everything?

See above.

I think you and HomeGuy must be related.