Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Did you know this about The Gas Company?

On 10/9/2012 10:02 PM, G. Morgan wrote:
harry wrote:

The recommendation here is that if you smell gas, shut off the gas,
open the windows, don't operate electrical appliances and call the gas
company.

Call from a cell phone OUTSIDE or the neighbor's home. Phone line
voltage *can* produce a spark in rare circumstances just by lifting the
receiver.

It would have to be a very old phone that weighs a ton to have open
mechanical contacts on the handset hook switch. I'd be more worried
about static electric discharge from your hand to something like a
metal door knob. I've seen some nice big sparks and I would often spray
fabric softener on the carpets back in the old days when computer gear
was more susceptible to static electricity discharge. Oh yea, be sure to
flip the light switch on your way out the door. We must conserve energy. O_o

TDD