Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Giant plastic water pipe maker accused of fraud

(CBS News) Few things are as crucial to everyday life as clean water, carried in PVC plastic pipe.

Much of it is made by JM Eagle, the biggest pipe manufacturer of plastic PVC pipe on the planet.

http://www.kxlf.com/news/giant-plast...used-of-fraud/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 18:15:56 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

(CBS News) Few things are as crucial to everyday life as clean water, carried in PVC plastic pipe.

Much of it is made by JM Eagle, the biggest pipe manufacturer of plastic PVC pipe on the planet.

http://www.kxlf.com/news/giant-plast...used-of-fraud/

Wow, IMO, that is a major problem. Most of us buy plumbing supplies,
electrical supplies and the like and expect it to meet specifications
and codes. Our investment in our homes and even our lives depend on
the reliability of those products. If this is true, they should be
closed down and people should do jail time. .
Posted to alt.home.repair

The article you posted, doesn't mention where the products are made. I had a
look around the web site, briefly.
http://www.jmeagle.com/jmeagle/locations.html
HQ in Los Angeles. does that mean the plant is there, or do they import from
China?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
(CBS News) Few things are as crucial to everyday life as clean water,
carried in PVC plastic pipe.

Much of it is made by JM Eagle, the biggest pipe manufacturer of plastic PVC
pipe on the planet.

http://www.kxlf.com/news/giant-plast...used-of-fraud/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 7 Oct 2012 10:47:36 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

The article you posted, doesn't mention where the products are made. I had a
look around the web site, briefly.
http://www.jmeagle.com/jmeagle/locations.html
HQ in Los Angeles. does that mean the plant is there, or do they import from
China?

JM Eagle is an American corporation and the world’s largest
manufacturer of plastic pipe.[1] At its 22 plants in North America,
the company manufactures polyvinyl chloride and high-density
polyethylene pipe for a variety of industries including utility,
plumbing, electrical, natural gas, irrigation, potable water, drainage
and sewage.

JM Eagle employs more than 1,000 people at its corporate office and in
its 22 plants located in 15 states and Mexico.[2]

[edit] History

In 1982, Formosa Plastics purchased the eight plants comprising the
plastic-pipe operations of Johns Manville to form J-M Manufacturing,
headquartered in Livingston, N.J.[3]

In November 2005, Walter Wang acquired 100 percent of the company from
Formosa Plastics. J-M Manufacturing grew to a 14-plant enterprise by
2007, when it acquired the second largest plastic-pipe manufacturer,
PW Eagle.[4] The company relocated its headquarters to Los Angeles in
2008.[5]

JM Eagle offers full range of common product lines, as well as
specialty and unique pipe products.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm not sure if they import from China
but this might be a clue:

http://www.trenchlessonline.com/inc/...2009-02-01.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/7/2012 9:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The article you posted, doesn't mention where the products are made. I had a
look around the web site, briefly.
http://www.jmeagle.com/jmeagle/locations.html
HQ in Los Angeles. does that mean the plant is there, or do they import from
China?

Didn't look very hard, apparently...

http://www.jmeagle.com/pdfs/MadeinUSALetter.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/6/2012 8:15 PM, wrote:
(CBS News) Few things ...

http://www.kxlf.com/news/giant-plast...used-of-fraud/

I don't know why they posted this now; the lawsuit was filed nearly 2
years ago...I've not seen nor does the article mention any resolution or
even recent activity thereupon so appears just attempting to stir up
controversy or traffic on a slow day...can't _imagine_ that from CBS

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Maybe a JM Eagle**** water pipe broke at KXLF and did thousands in
damage? ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

FPE american circuit breaker manufacturer falsified documents to get
NEC approval.

Their breakers which failed to trip once they tripped the first time
became known as fire makers. the american FPE went bankrupt and out of
business.

theres a company in canada that still produces replacement breakers
for the panels, these are supposed to be safe....

greed has caused these problems before
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

"bob haller" wrote in message
FPE american circuit breaker manufacturer falsified documents to get
NEC approval.

Their breakers which failed to trip once they tripped the first time
became known as fire makers. the american FPE went bankrupt and out of
business.

theres a company in canada that still produces replacement breakers
for the panels, these are supposed to be safe....

Federal Pacific Electric breaker replacements are made and sold in Canada by
Federal Pioneer Electric. Apparently, changes were made to get Canadian
approval, so I understand, but cannot vouch for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

(CBS News) Few things are as crucial to everyday life as clean
water, carried in PVC plastic pipe.

Much of it is made by JM Eagle, the biggest pipe manufacturer of
plastic PVC pipe on the planet.

http://www.kxlf.com/news/giant-plast...used-of-fraud/

Wow, IMO, that is a major problem. Most of us buy plumbing supplies,
electrical supplies and the like and expect it to meet specifications
and codes. Our investment in our homes and even our lives depend on
the reliability of those products. If this is true, they should be
closed down and people should do jail time. .

It sounds like it might be more of a large piping problem. They wern't talking
about ho,e size pipes breaking.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ah, thanks. Mostly LA, but all made in USA?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, only spent a moment looking. Figured someone out there would tell me.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 10/7/2012 9:47 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
The article you posted, doesn't mention where the products are made. I had
look around the web site, briefly.
http://www.jmeagle.com/jmeagle/locations.html
HQ in Los Angeles. does that mean the plant is there, or do they import
from
China?

Didn't look very hard, apparently...

http://www.jmeagle.com/pdfs/MadeinUSALetter.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/7/2012 5:49 PM, bob haller wrote:
FPE american circuit breaker manufacturer falsified documents to get
NEC approval.

Not NEC, UL. NEC doesn't "approve" anything; they publish the Code...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

The article you posted, doesn't mention where the products are made. I had a
look around the web site, briefly.
http://www.jmeagle.com/jmeagle/locations.html
HQ in Los Angeles. does that mean the plant is there, or do they import from
China?

Whether made in China or not, the article says "In his first TV
interview, he says his own company cut corners for profit and hid
internal tests allegedly showing some pipe had a high failure rate and
was too weak to meet industry standards....
He says tests had "anywhere from 50 to 80 percent failure rates. ...
When you're at 50-80 percent, you're buying a lottery ticket that's
going with odds in the wrong way....
Hendrix says when the claims came in, he was encouraged to lie.
He says he was told to blame contractor error and say the pipe had
been installed improperly."

If true, none of that would be China's fault, including the "cutting
corners for profit" which started the problem.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

wrote in message
(CBS News) Few things are as crucial to everyday life as clean water,
carried in PVC plastic pipe.

Much of it is made by JM Eagle, the biggest pipe manufacturer of plastic PVC
pipe on the planet.

http://www.kxlf.com/news/giant-plast...used-of-fraud/

Posted to alt.home.repair

The people who live in and are from China are Chinese.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/7/2012 6:49 PM, bob haller wrote:
FPE american circuit breaker manufacturer falsified documents to get
NEC approval.

Their breakers which failed to trip once they tripped the first time
became known as fire makers. the american FPE went bankrupt and out of
business.

theres a company in canada that still produces replacement breakers
for the panels, these are supposed to be safe....

greed has caused these problems before

And price being the only basis for buying something. There are folks
that want as possible stuff and FPE catered to that market. The quality
difference was very noticeable just by looking at their quality compared
to their competitors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Some where in that system, ought have been at least one person with a brain
cell, that would have known the system was a disaster. I'm wondering if it
was deliberate sabotage, or if it was negligence, or what? I have a hard
time thinking that competent people would have done something so obviously
wrong.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org