Default "Charlick" plastic water pipe

Dear All

I was digging up some pavers around my house and managed to rupture one
of my water pipes. Problem is that it seems to be something
non-standard (in Australia anyway) and I'm having trouble finding out
what bits I can use to fix it.

The pipe is black plastic, like polypipe except thicker and stiffer.
It has
'Charlick HI-POL 3/4" B class" written on it (although that might be R
class, it's hard to tell). It's being used for mains pressure, but I
have no idea if it's actually rated for mains. It appears to have
lasted ok for 15 years or so, so I guess it must be. The previous
owner has no idea about it (or at least, that's his story...)

Has anyone seen this stuff before, maybe know what it is or some more
info about it?

Cheers
Richard

Hi Roy

Thanks for the help. After a fair bit of department-hopping Iplex
managed to figure out what it probably is, even though they didn't know
who Charlick are.

It's more commonly known as "rural poly", and is probably "Class 6",
which is a bit of a problem because it's only rated to 87 psi (600 kPa)
and it's currently at full mains pressure. In Adelaide (where I live)
this might be up to 800 kPa and the water pipe is supposed to be "Class
12". The previous owner was a bit of a half-arsed handyman and I keep
finding little surprises where he did some renovations but didn't quite
do it right. I guess this is another one.

Well at least I now know what fittings to use, and just hope our mains
pressure never gets too high (luckily we're on top of the hill).

Thanks again for the pointers!

Cheers
Richard

Roy Starrin wrote:
On 31 Oct 2005 04:22:39 -0800, wrote:
'Charlick HI-POL 3/4" B class" written on it (although that might be R
class, it's hard to tell). Has anyone seen this stuff before, maybe know what it is or some more
info about it?

These guys in Adelaide?????:
Charlick Operations Pty Ltd 55 Waymouth St, ADELAIDE 5000
William Charlick Ltd, London Road, Mile End South 5031
Otherwise I would ask folks like plumbers, well drillers, etc., if
they know the name.
Or call Iplex
http://www.iplex.com.au/segments/plumbing.shtm
or any of these guys:
http://www.infolink.com.au/Directory...Fittings-Other

grounding water pipe William Deans Home Repair 50 February 19th 05 04:09 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM