Posted to alt.home.repair

Default recommended free news servers for text only

I know this topic has come up before but couldn't find the relevant
posts. What are the recommended free news servers that most here
recommend for text only? Thanks guys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/12 09:26 am, wrote:

I know this topic has come up before but couldn't find the relevant
posts. What are the recommended free news servers that most here
recommend for text only? Thanks guys.

www.eternal-september.org

Free registration required.

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

83LowRider wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I know this topic has come up before but couldn't find the relevant
posts. What are the recommended free news servers that most here
recommend for text only? Thanks guys.

www.eternal-september.org

Free registration required.

+1

It's been working great for years for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/02/2012 08:46 PM, Bob F wrote:
83LowRider wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I know this topic has come up before but couldn't find the relevant
posts. What are the recommended free news servers that most here
recommend for text only? Thanks guys.

www.eternal-september.org

Free registration required.

+1

It's been working great for years for me.

Eternal-September does work, but I find their servers can be sluggish at
times. I use AIOE because it's always zippy fast.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/03/12 03:59 pm, Nil wrote:

I cannot even tell you what my user name and password for
eternal-september a Thunderbird saved them when I first entered
them and resends them as needed.

You can see what your saved password is by looking in Thunderbird's
Security options.

I know that. I was merely responding to somebody who was implying that
to use eternal-september required entering a user name and password for
access every time.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote:

nntp.aioe.org

No authentication (no username or password)

+10

Much better than maternal-september.

A free, open-access server. No hassles with user-names/passwords.

-20

aioe is a haven for spammers, trolls, and forgers. They take no
responsibility for their output and they don't acknowledge or act
on complaints.

Sorry - I was having a stroke when I wrote that.

AIOE is no different than eternal september when it comes to the
"quality" of posts, or those that do the posting.

Having an authenticated user-name and password obtained by using a
throw-away e-mail address and being able to change your posting identity
at will makes ES equivalent to AIOE.

Note that I don't post to this group very often, but when I do, it's
usually to put down AIOE and spread false information about it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2012 4:02 PM, Nil wrote:
On 03 Oct 2012, Jon Danniken wrote
in alt.home.repair:

Eternal-September does work, but I find their servers can be
sluggish at times. I use AIOE because it's always zippy fast.

Maybe it's your location. e-t is aways quite fast for me.

I too use both e-s and aioe. Sometimes e-s gets crowded and you cannot
get on. I find both equally fast and prefer e-s as it allows more lines
to a post and more cross posting if desired. I sometimes use the dreaded
Google Groups when on a business machine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

I too use both e-s and aioe. Sometimes e-s gets crowded and you
cannot get on. I find both equally fast and prefer e-s as it
allows more lines to a post and more cross posting if desired.

Ok, I call total bull**** on the AIOE line-limit comment.

The vast majority of my posts on AIOE are 1 kb or less, but the single
largest message that I ever posted on AIOE was 25 kb in size - 437
lines of text (none of it being quoted text).

If you are a full-quoting FOOL and you end up posting an inordinate
amount of quoted text in your posts, then it's totally correct that AIOE
is rejecting your posts. That should be a clue that your posts do not
conform to proper usenet message composition style.

If ES accepts the same posts that AIOE rejects (for reasons of obscene
amount of quoted material) then ES should be lambasted and ridiculed for
that, and ES should be called "The Usenet Home for Full-Quoting Fools".
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 Oct 2012, a forger wrote in alt.home.repair:

AIOE is no different than eternal september when it comes to the
"quality" of posts, or those that do the posting.

Having an authenticated user-name and password obtained by using a
throw-away e-mail address and being able to change your posting
identity at will makes ES equivalent to AIOE.

The parent of this message is a forgery - it wasn't written by me.

Eternal-september can identify the account of anything posted through
their service. Forgers are explicitly forbidden by their terms of
service, and abusers can and have had their accounts closed. This
doesn't prevent all abuse, as is obvious from the forgery of me, but it
helps keep a lid on it and it shows that they care.

aioe does not explicitly forbid any particular abuse behavior, and
since they can't accurately identify abusers, they don't act on
complaints.

Eternal-september is a responsible usenet citizen. Aioe is a safe
harbor for abusers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote:

The parent of this message is a forgery - it wasn't written by me.

But it was posted through ES - to prove a point.

That your various praise of how ES can do this or that is bull****.

Because it means nothing.

Anyone can have multiple ES accounts and get them by using throw-away
e-mail accounts, and they can change their posting identity at will just
as easily on ES as they can on AIOE.

The AIOE server is connected to URIBL which means it automatically
blocks any posts that contain spammed domains. The AIOE server has
limits on the number of posts that can originate from a given IP address
within a 24 hour period.

Eternal-september can identify the account of anything posted
through their service. Forgers are explicitly forbidden by
their terms of service, and abusers can and have had their
accounts closed.

And they can open a new account within seconds. Why is that so hard for
you to understand?

This doesn't prevent all abuse,

Go and find us an example of REAL SPAM that was posted through AIOE.

Google is the king of usenet abuse. If you've got an axe to grind
against someone for ****ing up usenet, it should be google groups.

Eternal-september is a responsible usenet citizen. Aioe is a
safe harbor for abusers.

I've shown how it's just as easy to post anything, using any identity,
on ES. I've shot your arguments to hell.

But the strangest thing is this:

Regardless how hard or easy it is for someone to forge or post spam on
one server or another - what the hell has that got to do with someone
asking for a recommendation as to what free servers are available?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 Oct 2012, Frank Stein wrote in
alt.home.repair:

That your various praise of how ES can do this or that is
bull****.

I'm not praising e-s as much as condemning aioe.

Because it means nothing.

Anyone can have multiple ES accounts and get them by using
throw-away e-mail accounts, and they can change their posting
identity at will just as easily on ES as they can on AIOE.

It means they try to control abuse. aioe doesn't try and they don't act
on complaints.

The AIOE server is connected to URIBL which means it automatically
blocks any posts that contain spammed domains. The AIOE server
has limits on the number of posts that can originate from a given
IP address within a 24 hour period.

Not very effective against abusers.

And they can open a new account within seconds. Why is that so
hard for you to understand?

And they can be closed within seconds. Why is that so hard for you to
understand?

Google is the king of usenet abuse. If you've got an axe to grind
against someone for ****ing up usenet, it should be google groups.

Nice straw man ya got there.

Regardless how hard or easy it is for someone to forge or post
spam on one server or another - what the hell has that got to do
with someone asking for a recommendation as to what free servers
are available?

I recommend eternal-september. I don't recommend aioe. The point seems
obvious to me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote:

Anyone can have multiple ES accounts and get them by using
throw-away e-mail accounts, and they can change their posting
identity at will just as easily on ES as they can on AIOE.

It means they try to control abuse. aioe doesn't try and they
don't act on complaints.

As a matter of fact - AIOE does act on complaints.

But your idea of "abuse" is likely a free-speech issue, and not pure
machine-generated commercial spam or links to malware.

The AIOE server is connected to URIBL which means it automatically
blocks any posts that contain spammed domains. The AIOE server
has limits on the number of posts that can originate from a given
IP address within a 24 hour period.

Not very effective against abusers.

Again, what most people would consider to be usenet abuse is
machine-generated spam and malware links, or sporge floods, and it is
EXACTLY those sorts of posts that are ****-canned by the methods that
AIOE has in place.

And they can open a new account within seconds. Why is that
so hard for you to understand?

And they can be closed within seconds. Why is that so hard for
you to understand?

In order for a new account to be "closed within seconds" you need to go
through another complaint-reporting cycle. Not likely to be able to do
that in such a short period of time, and certainly not until there are
new posts made using new credentials.

Google is the king of usenet abuse. If you've got an axe to grind
against someone for ****ing up usenet, it should be google groups.

Nice straw man ya got there.

Nice avoidance of a relevant point ya pulled there.

- what the hell has that got to do with someone asking for a
recommendation as to what free servers are available?

I recommend eternal-september. I don't recommend aioe. The point
seems obvious to me.

No, it's not obvious.

From a technical pov, AIOE works just as well as a news server as ES.
You can't put up a technical argument why ES is better than AIOE.

You obviously have a free-speech issue, and you seek to denigrate any
server that is SUPERIOR in allowing or facilitating free speech because
you refuse to give an example of what you consider abuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank wrote:

Eternal-September does work, but I find their servers can be
sluggish at times. I use AIOE because it's always zippy fast.

Maybe it's your location. e-t is aways quite fast for me.

I too use both e-s and aioe. Sometimes e-s gets crowded and you
cannot get on. I find both equally fast and prefer e-s as it allows
more lines to a post and more cross posting if desired. I sometimes
use the dreaded Google Groups when on a business machine.

I check usenet a couple times every day. E-S has run
flawlessly for me for many years (previous to their name
change). There is never any 'wait' time, my username and
password were entered once and never to be seen again.
(Unless of course, a format becomes necessary) In the
approx. decade of use, it's been down maybe 4 times and
each of those were for very short periods. I use it via
Outlook Express with the addition of QuoteFix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03 Oct 2012, Frank Stein wrote in
alt.home.repair:

But your idea of "abuse" is likely a free-speech issue, and not
pure machine-generated commercial spam or links to malware.

You got it.

Again, what most people would consider to be usenet abuse is
machine-generated spam and malware links, or sporge floods, and it
is EXACTLY those sorts of posts that are ****-canned by the
methods that AIOE has in place.

I think "most people" consider abuse to include such things as
harassment and forgery. I have already seen that you support that kind
of activity.

Nice avoidance of a relevant point ya pulled there.

Like I said, nice strawman ya got there. Google's behavior has nothing
to do with either eternal-september or aioe.

I recommend eternal-september. I don't recommend aioe. The point
seems obvious to me.

No, it's not obvious.

Well, OK, I'm glad I could help you out of your confusion.

You obviously have a free-speech issue, and you seek to denigrate
any server that is SUPERIOR in allowing or facilitating free
speech because you refuse to give an example of what you consider
abuse.

I don't consider aioe's support of abusers to be "superior." At least
they have a comfortable spot for you.

I like eternal-september. I recommend them. They are responsible a
usenet citizen. I don't recommend aioe. They support usenet abusers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil wrote:

But your idea of "abuse" is likely a free-speech issue, and not
pure machine-generated commercial spam or links to malware.

You got it.

Uh huh.

I think "most people" consider abuse to include such things as
harassment and forgery. I have already seen that you support
that kind of activity.

I could give two ****s about people that bitch and complain about
harassment and forgery, mainly because crap like that happens in
screwball newsgroups like alt.usenet.kooks.

I dare you to show examples of forgery here in this newsgroup (minus the
example that I posted yesterday).

I don't consider aioe's support of abusers to be "superior."

AIOE doesn't "support" abusers any more than ES does.

At least they have a comfortable spot for you.

I could just as easily use ES full-time. How would that square with
your argument?

I like eternal-september. I recommend them. They are responsible a
usenet citizen. I don't recommend aioe. They support usenet
abusers.

Again I dare you to give an example of an abusive post that came from
AIOE.

Or will you again be a coward and duck that challenge and show that you
have a hollow argument?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 04 Oct 2012, Frank Stein wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I dare you to show examples of forgery here in this newsgroup
(minus the example that I posted yesterday).

I dare you to find your own examples. There are plenty and I don't have
the time or interest to do your homework for you. But I expect that you
know just what I'm talking about and you are one of them.

Or will you again be a coward and duck that challenge and show
that you have a hollow argument?

No, #3: I will be bored with you and not bother to continue this
"conversation." You will have to find some other outlet to express your
personal problem with eternal-september.

I like eternal-september and I recommend them. They have policies that
clearly discourage usenet abuse and they do their best to enforce them.
They are a responsible usenet citizen. I don't recommend aioe. Their
policies are intentionally vague and unenforceable. They support and
harbor usenet abusers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/3/2012 8:15 PM, Frank Stein wrote:
Frank wrote:

[...]

Don't get ****y now. Sure, I bottom post and don't clip unless file is
huge, but aioe will often reject and will limit cross posts. e-s
doesn't. So go call the computer police

[OT] Usenet/news servers D.M.Chapman UK diy 9 July 19th 10 08:24 AM
News Servers cavelamb Metalworking 10 October 23rd 09 02:40 AM
Earthink has changed news servers, again Michael A. Terrell Electronics Repair 7 April 2nd 08 10:38 PM
news servers which filter looney spam? John Stumbles UK diy 9 January 2nd 08 09:46 AM