Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to attach wooden dowel to fascia board invisibly

I want to attach two 4" long, 1.5" dowels to the fascia board. The free
end of each dowel will hold a Y Screw Hook like this:
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/28...ok-506281.aspx

The two dowels will be 13" apart, so I can place my aluminum extension
ladder between the two hooks to prevent side-side motion. Without
extending the hooks away from the fascia, the ladder will press against
the 1.5" overhang of the first row of (brand new) shingles.

I am aware of hanger hooks like this:
http://monsterfastener.com/sizelist....lt&icstyl=Wood

But I'm not sure how to use them, especially with machine screw threads
on one end.

Another factor which may or may not be a problem: the fascia board is
off-vertical by 18 degrees, the pitch of the ranch house roof.

I welcome your suggestions for other approaches.

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

end of each dowel will hold a Y Screw Hook like this:http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/28...y-screw-hook-5...

The two dowels will be 13" apart, so I can place my aluminum extension
ladder between the two hooks to prevent side-side motion. Without
extending the hooks away from the fascia, the ladder will press against
the 1.5" overhang of the first row of (brand new) shingles.

I am aware of hanger hooks like this:http://monsterfastener.com/sizelist....lt&icstyl=Wood

But I'm not sure how to use them, especially with machine screw threads
on one end.

Another factor which may or may not be a problem: the fascia board is
off-vertical by 18 degrees, the pitch of the ranch house roof.

I welcome your suggestions for other approaches.

R1

You can get gadgets that fix to the ladder that space it away from the
wall at the top. This kind of thing.
http://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers....og/Universal--
Complete--Ladder-Stand-Off-Stay.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
I want to attach two 4" long, 1.5" dowels to the fascia board. The
free end of each dowel will hold a Y Screw Hook like this:
http://hardware.hardwarestore.com/28...ok-506281.aspx

The two dowels will be 13" apart, so I can place my aluminum extension
ladder between the two hooks to prevent side-side motion. Without
extending the hooks away from the fascia, the ladder will press
against the 1.5" overhang of the first row of (brand new) shingles.

I am aware of hanger hooks like this:
http://monsterfastener.com/sizelist....lt&icstyl=Wood

But I'm not sure how to use them, especially with machine screw
threads on one end.

Another factor which may or may not be a problem: the fascia board is
off-vertical by 18 degrees, the pitch of the ranch house roof.

I welcome your suggestions for other approaches.

Buy a pair of ladder standoffs. Or just fasten a couple of wooden blocks to
the rails to bear on the fascia.

BTW, if you are getting side to side motion from your ladder, you are doing
something wrong.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Maybe just ready for a change? Check it out...
http://www.floridaloghouse.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2012 2:41 PM, dadiOH wrote:
Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

One time I made the mistake of trying to step onto the roof from one
rung too low. Naturally, the ladder shifted in the opposite direction.
So I'm being very cautious.

R1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2012 11:55 AM, harry wrote:
On Sep 17, 4:37 pm, Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Now I know enough to look for
ladder standoffs in the U.S.

R1

Posted to alt.home.repair

Rebel1 wrote:
[...]

Also helps if you are using an extension cord or water hose up on the
roof. I managed to knock over the ladder with a hose while cleaning
the swamp cooler. As a widower, there was no one home to help. Had to
wait 2 hours for a neighbor to come home. After that, I always
bungee-corded the ladder to a gutter bracket !

needed help with threaded wooden dowel D. Raynor Woodworking 4 November 20th 11 11:14 PM
fascia board HomerS Home Repair 6 March 30th 08 03:17 AM
Wooden Dowel Connectors Annie Hedden Woodworking 7 November 24th 05 06:17 AM
Proper way to attach fascia boards [email protected] Home Repair 5 June 22nd 05 08:21 PM
Wooden Dowel Rod People Question Skip Summer Woodworking 6 November 15th 04 06:57 PM