Posted to rec.woodworking

Default needed help with threaded wooden dowel

My nephew broke the thumbscrew on my marking gauge. I have not been able to
find a replacement but could make one if I had a couple of wooden dowels
about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long with about 1 inch threaded 1/2 x 8 tpi. Can
anyone here help me or tell me where I might obtain a replacement wooden or
plastic thumbscrew
Thanks

Doug

Posted to rec.woodworking

D. Raynor wrote:
My nephew broke the thumbscrew on my marking gauge. I have not been
able to find a replacement but could make one if I had a couple of
wooden dowels about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long with about 1 inch threaded
1/2 x 8 tpi. Can anyone here help me or tell me where I might obtain
a replacement wooden or plastic thumbscrew
Thanks

Doug

You could make your own if you are willing to spend a pretty fair amount of
money for the tool(s).
http://www.garrettwade.com/product.a...1X 7AodVhTzpQ

If the thread pitch was a standard 1/2 - 13 (UNC) you could do it with a
standard die but on long grain like a dowel the threads tend to chip off as
you cut; nevertheless, it can be done...the head of my cane is attached to
the shaft with 1/2 - 13 threads.

If I were you I would put a threaded insert into the gauge and go buy a nice
brass thumbscrew. Maybe even a knurled one

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 07:52:47 -0500, "Joe" [email protected] wrote:

freeze the dowel

"dadiOH" wrote in message ...

D. Raynor wrote:
My nephew broke the thumbscrew on my marking gauge. I have not been
able to find a replacement but could make one if I had a couple of
wooden dowels about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long with about 1 inch threaded
1/2 x 8 tpi. Can anyone here help me or tell me where I might obtain
a replacement wooden or plastic thumbscrew
Thanks

Doug

You could make your own if you are willing to spend a pretty fair amount of
money for the tool(s).
http://www.garrettwade.com/product.a...1X 7AodVhTzpQ

Griz has them for less than half that price. I bought a 3/4 for brooms
and such. http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood...-1-2-Die/G1866

If the thread pitch was a standard 1/2 - 13 (UNC) you could do it with a
standard die but on long grain like a dowel the threads tend to chip off as
you cut; nevertheless, it can be done...the head of my cane is attached to
the shaft with 1/2 - 13 threads.

If I were you I would put a threaded insert into the gauge and go buy a nice
brass thumbscrew. Maybe even a knurled one

I strongly second that idea.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 16, 1:25*am, "D. Raynor" wrote:
My nephew broke the thumbscrew on my marking gauge. *I have not been able to
find a replacement but could make one if I had a couple of wooden dowels
about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long with about 1 inch threaded 1/2 x 8 tpi. *Can
anyone here help me or tell me where I might obtain a replacement wooden or
plastic thumbscrew
Thanks

Doug

Wrap masking tape in a spiral around the right sized
dowel. Follow the "lines" with a triangular file until
you have your thumbscrew. For a single piece, no
need to spend bucks on a specialized tool.