Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drill press rips out student's hair

"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2012 6:17 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

What would you bet that the 17 year old girl texts while driving too. ^_^

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2012 7:17 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

Good god! So much better than being scalped!!!

"They should have had the professional courtesy and the professional
obligation to call a parent and to inform them what occurred and to call
911 to air on the side of caution," Carrera told MyFoxOrlando.

Air on the side of caution? Go, Fox!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 06:17:38 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

Had to be the teacher's fault, not the student taking some
responsibility for her actions.

Calling 911? Only for life threatening emergencies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-09-16, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Had to be the teacher's fault, not the student taking some
responsibility for her actions.

Didn't hafta be, but mighta been.

Not every person is born with an inate knowledge of safety around
machines. Humans have been at odds with machines since the first
stone hammer hit the first caveman thumb. I thought I had all the
saftey bases covered while lathe turning stainless steel until my wise
ol' shop forman came up and told me to grind a chip breaker into my
turning tool. He told me those long strands of stainless coming off
my lathe would cut through my boots and leg flesh like a razor through
butter, should I trip and entangle myself. A safety lesson learned
before a fall, thank goodness.

The teacher should have warned the girl ...nay, the entire class... of
long hair, loose clothing, rings on fingers, etc. After all, not like
he hadn't taught a few thousand students including some long haired
guys. If he DIDN'T! ....hello unemployment line and likely lawsuit.

OTOH, I find it hard to believe a shop teacher with that long a tenure
did NOT warn everyone and preach constant safety all the time. My
shop teachers ragged on it endlessly. Signs on every wall, every
machine, etc. The mom sounds like a classic golddigger. Hope the
teacher is not one of those who is disliked by his entire class and
has some friendly pupils to stand up on his behalf. If not, he's
screwed. :\

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 07:40:00 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

Good god! So much better than being scalped!!!

"They should have had the professional courtesy and the professional
obligation to call a parent and to inform them what occurred and to call
911 to air on the side of caution," Carrera told MyFoxOrlando.

Air on the side of caution? Go, Fox!

That statement was made by the mother, and quoted as such.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

Good god! So much better than being scalped!!!

"They should have had the professional courtesy and the professional
obligation to call a parent and to inform them what occurred and to call
911 to air on the side of caution," Carrera told MyFoxOrlando.

Air on the side of caution? Go, Fox!

That statement was made by the mother, and quoted as such.

Another genius!! Did the mother spell it out "a-i-r" for the
r-e-p-o-r-t-e-r?
Posted to alt.home.repair

What would you bet that the 17 year old girl texts while driving too. ^_^

TDD

The same that I would bet that the girl was texting during the shop
safety lecture. ^_^
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

Good god! So much better than being scalped!!!

"They should have had the professional courtesy and the professional
obligation to call a parent and to inform them what occurred and to call
911 to air on the side of caution," Carrera told MyFoxOrlando.

Air on the side of caution? Go, Fox!

That statement was made by the mother, and quoted as such.

Another genius!! Did the mother spell it out "a-i-r" for the
r-e-p-o-r-t-e-r?

I missed it and apologize. Do you want me to go to my room AND have a
time out? :-\

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

In my school, we had a picture of a male drill press "victim", of a
similar nature, taped to the side of our drill press. Now I see, I
think that is smart for the teacher too!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

Now we need to get a law passed that you have to have hair no longer than
say about 4 inches to work around machines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...ripped-out-by-....

Good god! *So much better than being scalped!!!

"They should have had the professional courtesy and the professional
obligation to call a parent and to inform them what occurred and to call
911 to air on the side of caution," Carrera told MyFoxOrlando.

Air on the side of caution? *Go, Fox!

That statement was made by the mother, and quoted as such.

Must run in the family!

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...ripped-out-by-...

Had to be the teacher's fault, not the student taking some
responsibility for her actions.

Calling 911? *Only for life threatening emergencies.

Lawyers probably lined up 10 deep outside momma's door 2 minutes after
it happened.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...ripped-out-by-...

Had to be the teacher's fault, not the student taking some
responsibility for her actions.

Calling 911? *Only for life threatening emergencies.

Didn't you get the memo? Calling 911 resets time so it doesn't
happen.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

Good god! So much better than being scalped!!!

"They should have had the professional courtesy and the professional
obligation to call a parent and to inform them what occurred and to call
911 to air on the side of caution," Carrera told MyFoxOrlando.

Air on the side of caution? Go, Fox!

That statement was made by the mother, and quoted as such.

Another genius!! Did the mother spell it out "a-i-r" for the
r-e-p-o-r-t-e-r?

I missed it and apologize. Do you want me to go to my room AND have a
time out? :-\

naw......just have a cuppa coffee )
Posted to alt.home.repair

So, of course, Fox is in the business of airing?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Norminn" wrote in message
m...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

"They should have had the professional courtesy and the professional
obligation to call a parent and to inform them what occurred and to call
911 to air on the side of caution," Carrera told MyFoxOrlando.

Air on the side of caution? Go, Fox!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-09-16, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Had to be the teacher's fault, not the student taking some
responsibility for her actions.

Didn't hafta be, but mighta been.

Not every person is born with an inate knowledge of safety around
machines.

The teacher should have warned the girl ...nay, the entire class... of
long hair, loose clothing, rings on fingers, etc. After all, not like
he hadn't taught a few thousand students including some long haired
guys. If he DIDN'T! ....hello unemployment line and likely lawsuit.

That was my point. First day of class and some additional
reinforcement as they progress, safety should be taught.

The teacher may have some percentage of guilt though. With kids, you
cannot assume anything and he should be making periodic looks around
to check for things like that. We don't know the entire story. Was
the girl even supposed to be using that tool? Was her hair tied at
start of class, but later let go? Teenagers do things like that.

My impression though, was that the mother blamed everything on the
teacher and school, nothing on careless daughter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:59:04 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

Now we need to get a law passed that you have to have hair no longer than
say about 4 inches to work around machines.

.... and not having droopy pants showing cracks in the ass. Plumber
shop class is expressly exempted.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2012 10:59 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

Now we need to get a law passed that you have to have hair no longer than
say about 4 inches to work around machines.

Funny, I do work on network and telecom equipment in retail stores and
if I go back into the deli, I am required by law/regulation to put on a
hair net. Odd, that the kids in wood shop class aren't subject to "hair
control" regulations. Girls in wood shop, boys in home economics, what's
this world coming to?! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-09-16, Oren wrote:

... and not having droopy pants showing cracks in the ass. Plumber
shop class is expressly exempted.

lol....

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:04:31 -0400, "__ Bøb __"
wrote:

Now we need to get a law passed that you have to have hair no longer than
say about 4 inches to work around machines.

SO ... they school should be required to notify Mommy that her daughter
injured herself in a stupid accident which she, herself caused ... BUT
... they can help her get birth control and/or an abortion WITHOUT such
a notification !!! !!! !!!

And sex with teachers, videos, foolish stuff. If I only had such
generous teachers when I went to skewl.

Look at Chicago this past week or so. I never witnessed anything
about the teachers. Me Me Me. Selfish *******s.

No wonder the Arabs think we should all be killed ... we don't deserve
to live !!!

....but we educate female children and let women drive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:33:17 -0400, Norminn
wrote:

That statement was made by the mother, and quoted as such.

Another genius!! Did the mother spell it out "a-i-r" for the
r-e-p-o-r-t-e-r?

I missed it and apologize. Do you want me to go to my room AND have a
time out? :-\

naw......just have a cuppa coffee )

Good. I was worried about the time out part...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 13:05:03 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Girls in wood shop, boys in home economics, what's
this world coming to?! ^_^

Hope and Change?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Watch... Kayla's Law, now requiring hair nets when working with shop
equipment.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Funny, I do work on network and telecom equipment in retail stores and
if I go back into the deli, I am required by law/regulation to put on a
hair net. Odd, that the kids in wood shop class aren't subject to "hair
control" regulations. Girls in wood shop, boys in home economics, what's
this world coming to?! ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Carbon dioxide fire extinguisher, and give em a good honk?
Hold a whipped cream pie out?

Others will have good ideas.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

Me and JH were installing a phone system, network and POS system in a
women's clothing store and several times I had near collisions with
cute young women who were texting while walking full speed. They look
at their not so smart phone and don't pay a lot of attention to where
they're going. I thought how fun it would be to carry one of those freon
powered boat horns around with me to wake them up when they're on
a collision course with me at a mall or on a sidewalk. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/16/2012 4:18 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Carbon dioxide fire extinguisher, and give em a good honk?
Hold a whipped cream pie out?

Others will have good ideas.

I don't want to harm them or their hair/clothing unless I scare them and
they pee themselves. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drill press rips texting airhead

Well, that rules out stuffing ferrets in thier pant suits? Might want to
forget that I suggested napalm, or sneezing powder from the Mad magazine
classified section. Also, neglect the mention of Van deGraff generator, or
Tesla coils, or cow shockers. Did I mention silly string, or gas leaf
blowers, or escaped sex offenders in clown costumes?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"The Daring Dufas" wrote in message

I don't want to harm them or their hair/clothing unless I scare them and
they pee themselves. ^_^

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 15:18:54 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Watch... Kayla's Law, now requiring hair nets when working with shop
equipment.

And to be fair, everyone must wear them, even boys with a buzz cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/16/2012 07:17 AM, HeyBub wrote:
"[DELTONA] A Florida school district is investigating whether a teacher
violated safety procedures after a student's hair was ripped out by a wood
shop machine... Deltona High School senior Kayla Carrera, 17, was in wood
shop class when her long brown hair got stuck in a drill press machine."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/15...#ixzz26d9EPhir

I couldn't find any regulations regarding texting while operating
machinery but I did find this:

http://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3170.pdf

"Employees should not wear loose-fitting cloth-
ing, jewelry, or other items that could become
entangled in machinery, and long hair should be
worn under a cap or otherwise contained to pre-
vent entanglement in moving machinery."

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a high school shop teacher who was a walking billboard for shop
safety since he was missing parts of 4 or 5 fingers, all cut off by
accident. safety was always stressed in school........

I took a electronics course, a vo tech class. we had some tools like a
grinder and drill press......

the teacher who is still my best friend was very happy one day not
long after I graduated.....

OSHA came thru the school and prohibited the wearing of ties for
safety reasons. up till then ties were REQUIRED for all instructors.
my buddy hated wearing a tie and was thrilled at the new rule.. this
was sometime after 1975

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 16:15:12 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

They look
at their not so smart phone and don't pay a lot of attention to where
they're going. I thought how fun it would be to carry one of those freon
powered boat horns around with me to wake them up when they're on
a collision course with me at a mall or on a sidewalk. ^_^

Short Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=m_aAnKhbhCw&feature=endscreen

....batteries / power not included.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:20:53 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And to be fair, everyone must wear them, even boys with a buzz cut.

World's tallest mohawk:

Published: Sept. 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM

NEW YORK, Sept. 13 (UPI) -- The Guinness World Record holder for the
world's tallest mohawk said while visiting New York to promote the
record book he is protesting against conformity.

Read mo
http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2012/09/13/Worlds-tallest-mohawk-grown-in-protest/UPI-26551347549732/#ixzz26klvc8BO

git the net....