Posted to alt.home.repair

Default problems with sewer line

Hi All,

Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor.

Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a
three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. Sealed up the system by
installing a 3-foot section of 4" PVC (sch-40) using two 4" Fernco
rubbers.

I can't get the Ferncos to seal. The top Fernco weeps just enough to
show a moisture ring at the top. The bottom fernco has significant
leakage at the bottom. I tightened the clamps in stages with a
screwdriver and then switched to a ratchet with 1/4" bit. The Fernco
rubbers are simply not sealing on the cast iron.

Ugh. I'm at a loss. How can I seal this beast and still be able to get
access in the future???

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 2:12*pm, JTeller wrote:
Hi All,

Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor.

Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a
three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. *Sealed up the system by
installing a 3-foot section of 4" PVC (sch-40) using two 4" Fernco
rubbers.

I can't get the Ferncos to seal. *The top Fernco weeps just enough to
show a moisture ring at the top. *The bottom fernco has significant
leakage at the bottom. *I tightened the clamps in stages with a
screwdriver and then switched to a ratchet with 1/4" bit. *The Fernco
rubbers are simply not sealing on the cast iron.

Ugh. *I'm at a loss. *How can I seal this beast and still be able to get
access in the future???

How rough is the surface of the cast iron pipe? Also, maybe you are
just being too weak in your tightening.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/12 2:12 PM, JTeller wrote:
Hi All,

Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor.

Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a
three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. Sealed up the system by
installing a 3-foot section of 4" PVC (sch-40) using two 4" Fernco
rubbers.

I can't get the Ferncos to seal. The top Fernco weeps just enough to
show a moisture ring at the top. The bottom fernco has significant
leakage at the bottom. I tightened the clamps in stages with a
screwdriver and then switched to a ratchet with 1/4" bit. The Fernco
rubbers are simply not sealing on the cast iron.

Ugh. I'm at a loss. How can I seal this beast and still be able to get
access in the future???

Could you put some type of caulking or silicone sealant under the
Ferncos? Would a couple wraps of the stretchable electrical tape under
the Ferncos do any good?
Posted to alt.home.repair

JTeller wrote in news:k2vvj5$npg$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

Hi All,

Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor.

Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a
three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. Sealed up the system by
installing a 3-foot section of 4" PVC (sch-40) using two 4" Fernco
rubbers.

I can't get the Ferncos to seal. The top Fernco weeps just enough to
show a moisture ring at the top. The bottom fernco has significant
leakage at the bottom. I tightened the clamps in stages with a
screwdriver and then switched to a ratchet with 1/4" bit. The Fernco
rubbers are simply not sealing on the cast iron.

Ugh. I'm at a loss. How can I seal this beast and still be able to

get
access in the future???

Fill the whole connection with silicon paste, then tighten the clamp.
Posted to alt.home.repair

My guess is that your corrosion crack
is extending past the point that you cut.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/14/2012 2:12 PM, JTeller wrote:
Hi All,

Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor.

Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a
three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. Sealed up the system by
installing a 3-foot section of 4" PVC (sch-40) using two 4" Fernco
rubbers.

I can't get the Ferncos to seal. The top Fernco weeps just enough to
show a moisture ring at the top. The bottom fernco has significant
leakage at the bottom. I tightened the clamps in stages with a
screwdriver and then switched to a ratchet with 1/4" bit. The Fernco
rubbers are simply not sealing on the cast iron.

Ugh. I'm at a loss. How can I seal this beast and still be able to get
access in the future???

I suspect that you used a flexible coupling like one of these:
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings
these make no attempt to keep the piping lined up. I also suspect that
your new pipe is not a good fit in the old pipe run.

Change out the couplings to one of the shielded type:
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings
"No Hub" clamps work well on cast iron/PVC connections.
These hold the pipe intersection in line. The new pipe should have an
1/8 to 1/4 gap at each coupling.

--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven
Posted to alt.home.repair

JTeller wrote:
Hi All,

Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor.

Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a
three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. Sealed up the system
by installing a 3-foot section of 4" PVC (sch-40) using two 4" Fernco
rubbers.

I can't get the Ferncos to seal. The top Fernco weeps just enough to
show a moisture ring at the top. The bottom fernco has significant
leakage at the bottom. I tightened the clamps in stages with a
screwdriver and then switched to a ratchet with 1/4" bit. The Fernco
rubbers are simply not sealing on the cast iron.

Ugh. I'm at a loss. How can I seal this beast and still be able to
get access in the future???

One person wrote,

"My guess is that your corrosion crack
is extending past the point that you cut."

I think that may be a possibility, especially since you wrote, "The top
Fernco weeps just enough to show a moisture ring at the top". Seeing that
on the top connection seems unusual to me.

But, if it is not a cast iron pipe that is still cracked, the other thing
that I would try is to sand/grind the outside of the cast iron to make a
smoother surface for the Fernco to seal with, and also add 100% silicone
caulk in the connection between the Fernco and the cast iron to help it seal
better.

Roots In Sewer Line diablo[_3_] Home Repair 1 July 18th 09 08:03 PM
Clog in main sewer line or drain lines running to main line. CJ Home Repair 1 May 30th 07 09:56 PM
Sewer Line Problems DHD Home Repair 9 March 8th 07 02:10 AM
Roots in sewer line? Walt Home Repair 12 April 22nd 06 08:54 PM
sewer line replacement jeff Home Repair 11 September 2nd 03 02:17 AM