Posted to alt.home.repair
JTeller JTeller is offline

Default problems with sewer line

Hi All,

Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor.

Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a
three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. Sealed up the system by
installing a 3-foot section of 4" PVC (sch-40) using two 4" Fernco
rubbers.

I can't get the Ferncos to seal. The top Fernco weeps just enough to
show a moisture ring at the top. The bottom fernco has significant
leakage at the bottom. I tightened the clamps in stages with a
screwdriver and then switched to a ratchet with 1/4" bit. The Fernco
rubbers are simply not sealing on the cast iron.

Ugh. I'm at a loss. How can I seal this beast and still be able to get
access in the future???