Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default problems with sewer line

On 9/14/2012 2:12 PM, JTeller wrote:
Hi All,

Had a problem with the sewer system on the second floor.

Ended up opening up the wall on the first floor and had to cut out a
three-foot section of 4" cast iron sewer line. Sealed up the system by
installing a 3-foot section of 4" PVC (sch-40) using two 4" Fernco
rubbers.

I can't get the Ferncos to seal. The top Fernco weeps just enough to
show a moisture ring at the top. The bottom fernco has significant
leakage at the bottom. I tightened the clamps in stages with a
screwdriver and then switched to a ratchet with 1/4" bit. The Fernco
rubbers are simply not sealing on the cast iron.

Ugh. I'm at a loss. How can I seal this beast and still be able to get
access in the future???

I suspect that you used a flexible coupling like one of these:
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings
these make no attempt to keep the piping lined up. I also suspect that
your new pipe is not a good fit in the old pipe run.

Change out the couplings to one of the shielded type:
http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/shielded-couplings
"No Hub" clamps work well on cast iron/PVC connections.
These hold the pipe intersection in line. The new pipe should have an
1/8 to 1/4 gap at each coupling.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G