Posted to alt.home.repair

Default phone charger adapter?

I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just say there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair
rlz rlz is offline

On Sep 12, 8:05*am, heathcliff wrote:
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just say there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? *Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? *-- H

My guess is that there are two basic differences in the two chargers.
1. the physical plug where it fits into the phone. 2. The voltage/
amperage of electricity that the charger produces. This is usually
listed on the charger. If the output voltage/amperage match on both
chargers, then it may be possible to buy an adapter that converts the
plug of the old one to match the new one. If the voltage/amperage
don't match, then you'll need to get new chargers that are for that
make/model of phone.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 10:24*am, rlz wrote:
[...]

i suggest you just buy new chargers, check e bay if you want to save
money, or try wall mart....

the verizon store markups must be 5 times cost
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/12/2012 10:05 AM, heathcliff wrote:
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just say there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

You didn't reveal the new phone model for some reason but it might be
micro USB . If so that is the standard for newer phones so just get a
charger and you are set. Nice part is they are inexpensive and fit all
new devices.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"rlz" wrote in message
[...]

The only phones and other portable devices I buy in the near future, will
ALL have a USB connector for charging
This has made standardization of chargers in the house, 2 cars and 5 phones
a lot easier.

The first question to ask is, what is the connector to the phone from the
power supply ?
If it's NOT USB, then the OP is stuck buying separate chargers for house and
car.
If it's USB, you can buy a standard lighter plug that takes standard USB
cords for your car and house
You can even charge your phone off your computer,

Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 9/12/2012 7:05 AM, heathcliff wrote:
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just say there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

If there is an adapter, and there isn't, it would almost certainly cost
as much as an entire charger.

Most new phones now use a Micro-USB connector for charging. You can buy
an 800mA Micro-USB charger for about $3. The "Trisonic TS-CP600T MICRO
USB HOME & TRAVEL CHARGER" sells for $3 at the "$1.50 store" near me,
http://www.trisonic.com/TelephoneAccessories/Cell-Phone-Accessories.aspx.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/12 10:59 am, George wrote:

I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's
just say there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than
the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old
one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I
have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an
adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new
phone? -- H

You didn't reveal the new phone model for some reason but it might be
micro USB . If so that is the standard for newer phones so just get a
charger and you are set. Nice part is they are inexpensive and fit all
new devices.

It was reported that even the new iPhone to be revealed today will have
the micro-USB connector rather than the Apple-proprietary one.

Perce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 9:05*am, heathcliff wrote:
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just say there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? *Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? *-- H

Sink or toilet drop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:05:13 AM UTC-4, heathcliff wrote:
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just say there was a water immersion event. Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

Car adaptor for Samsung, I got for, I believe, $9 at Walmart. I think there are adaptors with multiple plugs too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 12, 10:05*am, heathcliff wrote:
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . .
well let's just say there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different
end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia)
For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag -
do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? *Or does someone
carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? *-- H

Others have already suggested that you should buy new chargers and
some have suggested eBay or sources other than the phone manufacturer
in order to save money.

While I agree with that, let me warn you about some of the choices
that are out there. The really cheap ones available on eBay and other
sites can be dangerous to your phone.

I once purchased a set of 2 chargers for my Droid 3 for something like
$15 on eBay. Each time I'd use either one, the phone would do weird
things like re-boot or open apps, etc. It only happened with those 2
cheap chargers.

A friend of mine bought a cheap charger from a different source and it
did the same things to his phone. Unfortunately he used his charger
one time too many and it turned his phone into a brick. Luckily it was
under warranty and Verizon replaced it.

I now try to stay in the middle of the road with off-brand chargers.
Stay away from the really cheap ones if you value your phone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:

i suggest you just buy new chargers, check e bay if you want to save
money, or try wall mart....

the verizon store markups must be 5 times cost

Meh!

Battery for my Blackberry: Verizon: $32.50, Ebay miscellaneous seller: $3.50

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:08:21 -0500, "Atila Iskander"
wrote:

"rlz" wrote in message
[...]

And there are at least 4 different "mini and micro" USB plugs in use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"rlz" wrote in message
[...]

My wall and car plugs all have USB sockets
So the ONLY thing I need to worry about is the USB cable
Right now only one of my 5 cell phones has a different US (male) cable. But
that's because it's an older phone.
Also by using my desktop and laptop computers as power sources, we have
eliminated the wall sockets as well.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"rlz" wrote in message
[...]

I only know of one "Mini-B" and one "Micro-B" USB plug. There are others,
like the one's that cameras often use but they're not called "Micro-B", AFAIK.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/12/2012 10:08 AM, Atila Iskander wrote:

[snip]

The only phones and other portable devices I buy in the near future,
will ALL have a USB connector for charging
This has made standardization of chargers in the house, 2 cars and 5
phones a lot easier.

The first question to ask is, what is the connector to the phone from
the power supply ?
If it's NOT USB, then the OP is stuck buying separate chargers for house
and car.
If it's USB, you can buy a standard lighter plug that takes standard USB
cords for your car and house
You can even charge your phone off your computer,

My phone (Motorola Entice) has started displaying "UNAUTHORIZED CHARGER"
with most chargers (including PC USB ports), even the one it came with.
The only thing that works is an external battery (Scoche).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Difference of religion breeds more quarrels than difference of
politics." [Wendell Phillips, Speech, 7 November 1860]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I've never seen adaptors. But, the chargers are fairly cheap, online. Many
chargers can also be found at Dollar Tree, or Family dollar.

Sorry to hear your phone hit the briney deep. Barnacle's Grave?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"heathcliff" wrote in message
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just
say there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the
old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also
had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new
ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me
convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:05:13 AM UTC-5, heathcliff wrote:
I recently had to get a new mobile after my old one . . . well let's just say there was a water immersion event.

Needless to say the charger for the new phone has a different end than the old one. (New phone is a Samsung, old one was Nokia) For the old one, I also had chargers at the office and in my travel bag - do I have to buy 2 new ones for the new phone? Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

Thanks for the replies. The old phone went through the wash in a pants pocket. As I discovered when I noticed something clunking around in the dryer.. The new phone model is Samsung SGH t139, if it matters. It's a cheap non-smart phone. (Fits me!) The charger plug on it is "S20-pin," not sure if that corresponds to micro-USB or mini-USB, it is kind of USB-shaped but smaller. I think on the phone it doubles as a headset connector.

Chargers at W*Mart are around $15 or $20, looks like that might be the only option. I'll probably check the local dollar store. -- H
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 10:16*am, Mark Lloyd wrote:
[...]

I used to get a similar message from my old LG-Touch when using some
aftermarket chargers.

My Droid 3 doesn't care whose charger I use, except for the really
cheap ones that I posted about earlier. Those just messed up my phone
by re-booting it, opening apps, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 07:05:13 -0700 (PDT), heathcliff
wrote:

Or does someone carry an adapter that would let me convert the old
chargers to use on the new phone? -- H

Go to Dollar General and buy a charger for under $10. They sell them
for most phones and have built in adaptors. That's cheaper than
screwing around trying to fit some old adaptor, which might be the wrong
voltage anyhow. DG has chargers for many brands of phones. Other
places sell them too.