Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default (OT) Stinky candle disposal problem

I like to go to auctions and find bargains. A few weeks ago I bought a
boxfull of oddball items because there was one item in the box that I
wanted. I loaded that box in my car and several other buys from that
sale and drove home. On the way home I was near choking from an
extremely obnoxious potent sweet smell in the car that was NOT pleasant.
In fact I could not wait to get home and find the cause of this odor.
As soon as I got home I began to unload. That odor was coming from the
oddball box. In there I found everything from tools to kitchen
utensels, and a plastic bag with 4 candles. Those candles were the
cause of the odor. It said "scented candles" on them. Scented (my
ass), stinky is a better word. Maybe the combination of 4 different
colored (probably four different scents) made it worse. All I knew is
that they were not coming in the house, in fact I'd invite a skunk in
the house before those candles came in.

I left them in the bag, outside my garage, near the door. The next day
I got within 25 feet of the garage and could smell them already. This
time I moved the bag to the rear of the garage. I sort of forgot about
them until yesterday when I opened the rear window in the garage. There
was that annoying odor again, and it nearly floored me. It seems the
hot sun on that bag is making the odor worse.

I know, someone is going to ask me why I dont just toss them in the
trash. It's because I live on a farm in the country and we have no
garbage pickup. We burn it, bury it, or find another way. We can take
recycleable cans and bottles to a certain place, which is only open on
certain days and hours, and quite honestly I dont have time for that
nonsense, since they are only open about 3 hours a week. I just haul
all the aluminum cans and anything else they will buy, to the metal
recyclers once a year, and try to find places for other containers.
(like friends who live in the city's garbage cans). Everything else
gets burned.

Anyhow, I now have these stinky candles, and I really want them gone.
The thought occurred to suffer that odor long enough in my car, back to
town, and drop them in the garbage barrel at the gas station, or just
toss them out the window onto the highway and risk a fine for littering.
But I really dont want them in my car again. Burying them on some
distant place on my acreage comes to mind, but I just know that either
some animal will dig them up, or a plow or machinery will do it, and
that odor will haunt me forever.

The last thought is burning......
I have a large pile of brush, feed bags, baling twine and other debris
to burn. I could just toss them in that pile and let them burn......
But MAYBE the odor will remain????? The last thing I need is to have to
smell that stink in my burn pile for the next 5 or 10 years, and that
pile is near my barn......

Do you think burning will kill that odor?
What else can I do?

*** Whoever invented scented candles should be SHOT by a firing
squad!!!!

By the way, some wild animal (probably a raccoon) ate part of one of
them. I sure wish it would have ate ALL of them (and the plastic bag).
But I suspect the animal died after a few bites. I know I would!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:42:59 AM UTC-7, (unknown) wrote:
[...]

Mail them to Martha Stewart.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 02:42:59 -0500, wrote:

Anyhow, I now have these stinky candles, and I really want them gone.

Post office will pick them up if you box them.

Send them to friends/relatives along with a birthday card.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Do you have an old cooking pot? Put the candles in the pot, with some diesel
oil, and brush. Put the cooking pot on the burn pile. That way, if the odor
sticks to the cooking pot, you can put the pot in layers of bags, and suffer
with it, to take it to town to put in someone's dumpster.

Choose a day when the wind blows away from your home.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Light them.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Aug 9, 3:02*am, ktos wrote:
wrote :

[...]

fake story.

Yep. Anyone with not enough brains to bury them deep is lying about
the whole thing.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On 09 Aug 2012 10:02:43 GMT, ktos wrote:

*** Whoever invented scented candles should be SHOT by a firing
squad!!!!

By the way, some wild animal (probably a raccoon) ate part of one of
them. I sure wish it would have ate ALL of them (and the plastic bag).
But I suspect the animal died after a few bites. I know I would!!!!

fake story.

You sound like the guy I'd like to mail them to!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote in message
On 09 Aug 2012 10:02:43 GMT, ktos wrote:

*** Whoever invented scented candles should be SHOT by a firing
squad!!!!

By the way, some wild animal (probably a raccoon) ate part of one of
them. I sure wish it would have ate ALL of them (and the plastic bag).
But I suspect the animal died after a few bites. I know I would!!!!

fake story.

You sound like the guy I'd like to mail them to!!!!

Sounds like a story that I read once by J.K. Jerome (1889). His stinky
object was a cheese he was transporting for a friend. He eventually buried
it on a seaside beach where for years afterward people came to enjoy and
comment upon "the bracing air".

Tomsic

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote the following on 8/9/2012 3:42 AM (ET):
[...]

Bury them with your next load of garbage?

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 12:55:37 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

wrote in news:atp62810s91dqbjmvr7pqkc1sc0ae7hs9f@
4ax.com:

[...]
Anyhow, I now have these stinky candles, and I really want them gone.

Sell them on eBay. Seriously. There are a *lot* of people in the world that actually *like* that
stuff.

Would the OP enjoy man scented candles?

BACKYARD BARBEQUE
BEEF JERKY
FISHING DOCK
FOOTBALL
FRESH CUT GRASS
POT ROAST
ROAD KILL
CUP O' JOE
PAR 4
POKER ROOM
EX WIFE
KEGGER
MARY JANE
HOOPS
7TH INNING STRETCH
ONE ARMED BANDIT
MOTHER IN LAW
MONKEY BUTT
GREASE MONKEY
DANIELS, BEAM & WALKER
BALLS OF STEEL

Don't burn those wussy candles! Get a scented candle a man will love

http://thescentofaman.com/index.php
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

clipped

Do you think burning will kill that odor?
What else can I do?

*** Whoever invented scented candles should be SHOT by a firing
squad!!!!

By the way, some wild animal (probably a raccoon) ate part of one of
them. I sure wish it would have ate ALL of them (and the plastic bag).
But I suspect the animal died after a few bites. I know I would!!!!

Get a good fire going and throw them in on top of some corrugated cardboard.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 07:53:18 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

Yep. Anyone with not enough brains to bury them deep is lying about
the whole thing.

Harry K

You think I'm going to spend $500 or more to hire an excavation company
to dig the hole? A shovel is what I was referring to for the hole.
However, you did give me an idea. I know where they are demolishing a
house and will then fill the basement with dirt. Of course that still
requires hauling them in my car......

But I have an idea for that. A large gallon sized plastic bottle filled
with water. Shove them in the bottle, duct tape it shut, and haul them.
I just hope they sink to the bottom..... Then I'll just toss the whole
bottle in the hole. (No, they didn't melt in the sun, which surprises
me). What also amazes me, is that the odor came right thru that plastic
bag that they are in.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

Yep. *Anyone with not enough brains to bury them deep is lying about
the whole thing.

Harry K

You think I'm going to spend $500 or more to hire an excavation company
to dig the hole? *A shovel is what I was referring to for the hole.
However, you did give me an idea. *I know where they are demolishing a
house and will then fill the basement with dirt. *Of course that still
requires hauling them in my car......

But I have an idea for that. *A large gallon sized plastic bottle filled
with water. *Shove them in the bottle, duct tape it shut, and haul them..
I just hope they sink to the bottom..... Then I'll just toss the whole
bottle in the hole. (No, they didn't melt in the sun, which surprises
me). *What also amazes me, is that the odor came right thru that plastic
bag that they are in.

!!!!!!!!TROLL ALERT!!!!!!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

Yep. *Anyone with not enough brains to bury them deep is lying about
the whole thing.

Harry K

You think I'm going to spend $500 or more to hire an excavation company
to dig the hole? *A shovel is what I was referring to for the hole.
However, you did give me an idea. *I know where they are demolishing a
house and will then fill the basement with dirt. *Of course that still
requires hauling them in my car......

But I have an idea for that. *A large gallon sized plastic bottle filled
with water. *Shove them in the bottle, duct tape it shut, and haul them..
I just hope they sink to the bottom..... Then I'll just toss the whole
bottle in the hole. (No, they didn't melt in the sun, which surprises
me). *What also amazes me, is that the odor came right thru that plastic
bag that they are in.

I can have a 4ft hole dug in short order with nothing but a shovel.
That is more then deep enough to keep them from ever being dug up.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Aug 9, 11:38*am, "Tomsic" wrote:
wrote in message

On 09 Aug 2012 10:02:43 GMT, ktos wrote:

*** Whoever invented scented candles should be SHOT by a firing
squad!!!!

By the way, some wild animal (probably a raccoon) ate part of one of
them. *I sure wish it would have ate ALL of them (and the plastic bag).
But I suspect the animal died after a few bites. *I know I would!!!!

fake story.

You sound like the guy I'd like to mail them to!!!!

Sounds like a story that I read once by J.K. Jerome (1889). *His stinky
object was a cheese he was transporting for a friend. *He eventually buried
it on a seaside beach where for years afterward people came to enjoy and
comment upon "the bracing air".

Tomsic

At least that stoooryyyy is sorta believable.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote:

Yep. Anyone with not enough brains to bury them deep is lying about
the whole thing.

Harry K

You think I'm going to spend $500 or more to hire an excavation company
to dig the hole? A shovel is what I was referring to for the hole.
However, you did give me an idea. I know where they are demolishing a
house and will then fill the basement with dirt. Of course that still
requires hauling them in my car......

But I have an idea for that. A large gallon sized plastic bottle filled
with water. Shove them in the bottle, duct tape it shut, and haul them.
I just hope they sink to the bottom..... Then I'll just toss the whole
bottle in the hole. (No, they didn't melt in the sun, which surprises
me). What also amazes me, is that the odor came right thru that plastic
bag that they are in.

????? I am surprised. How many plastic bags did you use?

We live in the country too but have a few days access each week to a garbage
tip but have to take the rubbish there ourselves. I've always found that
putting a stinky thing in a plastic bag and knotting it and then putting it
in another plastic bag and then knotting that is enough to keep the smell
in. I think the most bags I've ever needed was 3.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:23:13 +1000, "Farm1"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

They are just in one ziplock bag. Good idea about using more bags.
I'll try that. We have 2 dump locations. One is open on Sat. mornings
from 9 to noon, the other is a weekday (not sure of the hours), but it's
only about 3 hours too, and mornings. I have to do chores in the
mornings. It's not convenient at all. We have to haul the stuff too.
Years ago they just had dumpsters that we could go to anytime. I'd go
there when I had some free time, sometimes at night even. Those days
are gone. The last time I went camping, I took several bags of garbage
along and put it in the dumpster at the campgrounds. I suppose shutting
down the 24/7 dumpsters is what they call progress!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

wrote in message
On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:23:13 +1000, "Farm1"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

When we've had a small amount of stuff that really, really needed to go, but
on days when the tip wasn't open, I'd put them into municipal garbage bins
in parks or beside roads. 'Domestic waste' dumping is such places
supposedly attracts a fine, but since I've always just put in a plastic
carrier bag sized thing, I don't think anyone would ever have noticed or
commented or even been able to object. How big are these candles and can
you find a roadside garbage bin anywhere on your travels?

Garbage Disposal Problem patga Home Repair 3 March 11th 10 10:14 PM
Garbage Disposal Problem Walter R.[_2_] Home Repair 4 September 17th 09 04:30 AM
Sink Disposal Problem Les Home Repair 7 July 5th 06 06:25 PM
My GE has a stinky powedery ice problem Shel Home Ownership 5 June 8th 05 08:53 PM
Garbage Disposal Problem dave Home Repair 6 March 7th 04 12:49 PM