Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.rural

Default (OT) Stinky candle disposal problem

I like to go to auctions and find bargains. A few weeks ago I bought a
boxfull of oddball items because there was one item in the box that I
wanted. I loaded that box in my car and several other buys from that
sale and drove home. On the way home I was near choking from an
extremely obnoxious potent sweet smell in the car that was NOT pleasant.
In fact I could not wait to get home and find the cause of this odor.
As soon as I got home I began to unload. That odor was coming from the
oddball box. In there I found everything from tools to kitchen
utensels, and a plastic bag with 4 candles. Those candles were the
cause of the odor. It said "scented candles" on them. Scented (my
ass), stinky is a better word. Maybe the combination of 4 different
colored (probably four different scents) made it worse. All I knew is
that they were not coming in the house, in fact I'd invite a skunk in
the house before those candles came in.

I left them in the bag, outside my garage, near the door. The next day
I got within 25 feet of the garage and could smell them already. This
time I moved the bag to the rear of the garage. I sort of forgot about
them until yesterday when I opened the rear window in the garage. There
was that annoying odor again, and it nearly floored me. It seems the
hot sun on that bag is making the odor worse.

I know, someone is going to ask me why I dont just toss them in the
trash. It's because I live on a farm in the country and we have no
garbage pickup. We burn it, bury it, or find another way. We can take
recycleable cans and bottles to a certain place, which is only open on
certain days and hours, and quite honestly I dont have time for that
nonsense, since they are only open about 3 hours a week. I just haul
all the aluminum cans and anything else they will buy, to the metal
recyclers once a year, and try to find places for other containers.
(like friends who live in the city's garbage cans). Everything else
gets burned.

Anyhow, I now have these stinky candles, and I really want them gone.
The thought occurred to suffer that odor long enough in my car, back to
town, and drop them in the garbage barrel at the gas station, or just
toss them out the window onto the highway and risk a fine for littering.
But I really dont want them in my car again. Burying them on some
distant place on my acreage comes to mind, but I just know that either
some animal will dig them up, or a plow or machinery will do it, and
that odor will haunt me forever.

The last thought is burning......
I have a large pile of brush, feed bags, baling twine and other debris
to burn. I could just toss them in that pile and let them burn......
But MAYBE the odor will remain????? The last thing I need is to have to
smell that stink in my burn pile for the next 5 or 10 years, and that
pile is near my barn......

Do you think burning will kill that odor?
What else can I do?

*** Whoever invented scented candles should be SHOT by a firing
squad!!!!

By the way, some wild animal (probably a raccoon) ate part of one of
them. I sure wish it would have ate ALL of them (and the plastic bag).
But I suspect the animal died after a few bites. I know I would!!!!

Garbage Disposal Problem patga Home Repair 3 March 11th 10 10:14 PM
Garbage Disposal Problem Walter R.[_2_] Home Repair 4 September 17th 09 04:30 AM
Sink Disposal Problem Les Home Repair 7 July 5th 06 06:25 PM
My GE has a stinky powedery ice problem Shel Home Ownership 5 June 8th 05 08:53 PM
Garbage Disposal Problem dave Home Repair 6 March 7th 04 12:49 PM