Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage Disposal Problem

When I turn on my garbage disposal I can hear the motor spin up, and down
when I turn it on/off.

The turntable with the hammers is not spinning, though. The table plus
hammers kind of wobbles around in the grinding chamber when I poke at it
with a stick. It seem loose. Maybe not connected to the motor drive shaft??

Water flows freely through the unit.

Any ideas for repairs or do I buy a new one? It is 25 years old.

Any recommended brand?

Thanks

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 14, 5:55�pm, "Walter R." wrote:
When I turn on my garbage disposal I can hear the motor spin up, and down
when I turn it on/off.

The turntable with the hammers is not spinning, though. �The table plus
hammers kind of wobbles around in the grinding chamber when I poke at it
with a stick. It seem loose. Maybe not connected to the motor drive shaft??

Water flows freely through the unit.

Any ideas for repairs or do I buy a new one? It is 25 years old.

Any recommended brand?

Thanks

--
Walterwww.rationality.net
-

buy a new one, they arent worth messing with.

just buy a mid price any brand, the cheapest anything is usually built
for cheap, the highest price to atrtract the high end $$$ buyer.

thus mid priced stuff is usually the best for all around value
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 14:55:09 -0700, Walter R. wrote:
When I turn on my garbage disposal I can hear the motor spin up, and down
when I turn it on/off.

The turntable with the hammers is not spinning, though. The table plus
hammers kind of wobbles around in the grinding chamber when I poke at it
with a stick. It seem loose. Maybe not connected to the motor drive shaft??

Water flows freely through the unit.

Any ideas for repairs or do I buy a new one? It is 25 years old.

If your time is worth more than a dollar an hour, you should just
replace the thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:49:00 -0400, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Walter R. wrote:
When I turn on my garbage disposal I can hear the motor spin up, and down
when I turn it on/off.

The turntable with the hammers is not spinning, though. The table plus
hammers kind of wobbles around in the grinding chamber when I poke at it
with a stick. It seem loose. Maybe not connected to the motor drive shaft??

Water flows freely through the unit.

Any ideas for repairs or do I buy a new one? It is 25 years old.

Any recommended brand?

Thanks

Get rid of it. It's an unnecessary appliance. You have a garbage can
don't you? Put your swill in a zip lock bag before you toss it and it
won't stink. Zip locks come in sizes from half sandwich size all the way
up to 'real big'.

I just use plastic rap
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 16, 2:49*pm, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
Walter R. wrote:
When I turn on my garbage disposal I can hear the motor spin up, and down
when I turn it on/off.

The turntable with the hammers is not spinning, though. *The table plus
hammers kind of wobbles around in the grinding chamber when I poke at it
with a stick. It seem loose. Maybe not connected to the motor drive shaft??

Water flows freely through the unit.

Any ideas for repairs or do I buy a new one? It is 25 years old.

Any recommended brand?

Thanks

Get rid of it. It's an unnecessary appliance. You have a garbage can
don't you? Put your swill in a zip lock bag before you toss it and it
won't stink. Zip locks come in sizes from half sandwich size all the way
up to 'real big'.

Put your swill in a zip lock

Brilliant!

And what happens to the Zip-locked "swill"?
Goes to the landfill, incinerator or ?

Ground up food waste goes to a sewage treatment plant;
gets primary, secondary & perhaps tertiary treatment and into the
ocean or a river to be truly recycled.

If you really want to get rid of your GD.....compost food waste (less
fat & meat)

cheers
Bob