Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garbage Disposal Problem

Hello,

Have an in the sink garbage disposal.

Will not turn when power is applied, but does make a "buzzing noise", so the
circuit breaker apparently
is not the problem.

Also, the impeller turns easily and smoothly when turned by hand.
Also, putting an Allen wrench in the bottom hole also turns very easily.

Usually, the impeller gets jammed, and won't turn until it's cleared.
But that does not seem to be the case here.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello,

Have an in the sink garbage disposal.

Will not turn when power is applied, but does make a "buzzing noise", so
the circuit breaker apparently
is not the problem.

Also, the impeller turns easily and smoothly when turned by hand.
Also, putting an Allen wrench in the bottom hole also turns very easily.

Usually, the impeller gets jammed, and won't turn until it's cleared.
But that does not seem to be the case here.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hmmmmm....

That's all.

Hmmmmmmm.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert11 wrote:

Hello,

Have an in the sink garbage disposal.

Will not turn when power is applied, but does make a "buzzing noise", so the
circuit breaker apparently
is not the problem.

Also, the impeller turns easily and smoothly when turned by hand.
Also, putting an Allen wrench in the bottom hole also turns very easily.

Usually, the impeller gets jammed, and won't turn until it's cleared.
But that does not seem to be the case here.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
Bob

The starting switch (centrifugal) is not
contacting for the start winding.
Replacement parts *might* be available.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 5:01 pm, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Have an in the sink garbage disposal.

Will not turn when power is applied, but does make a "buzzing noise", so the
circuit breaker apparently
is not the problem.

Also, the impeller turns easily and smoothly when turned by hand.
Also, putting an Allen wrench in the bottom hole also turns very easily.

Usually, the impeller gets jammed, and won't turn until it's cleared.
But that does not seem to be the case here.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,
Bob

Try rapping the motor housing with a rubber hammer while it's
buzzing. I've got an late 70's table saw that needs a rap every few
months to keep it in line. I believe it has to do with the
centrifugal switch being slightly out of adjustment. If that the case
with your GD, I'd replace the whole unit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Robert11" wrote in message

Will not turn when power is applied, but does make a "buzzing noise", so
the circuit breaker apparently
is not the problem.

Any thoughts ?

Motor, or one of its components, is not working. If fairly new it may be
worth fixing. if more than five years old, replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 3, 9:37�pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message

Will not turn when power is applied, but does make a "buzzing noise", so
the circuit breaker apparently
is not the problem.
Any thoughts ?

Motor, or one of its components, is not working. If fairly new it may be
worth fixing. if more than five years old, replace it.

with the low cost of disposers and easy replacement I would just
replace it......

just did this for my dad over thanksgiving best 70 bucks spent in long
time