Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Shel

Default My GE has a stinky powedery ice problem

I have a GE refrigerator/freezer with an icemaker..the kind where you can
get ice cubes, crushed ice or water out of the freezer door. The ice stinks
and has powder in and on it...the metal in the unit stinks and collects
powder on it too. Some of the ice comes through with green slime....I've
taken the icemaker apart washed it many times and we still wind up with
this....We do have a water softener hooked up ...any help or input would be
very much
appreciated.
Thank you
Sheli

That's weird. Are you sure softened water goes to the freezer, and
that whatever is coming out of that line is really pure ? How old is
the fridge.

Shel

wrote in message
oups.com...
That's weird. Are you sure softened water goes to the freezer, and
that whatever is coming out of that line is really pure ? How old is
the fridge.

Yes, the guy installed the water softener so all lines are being run through
it. We had the water softner company test the water after the install and
all was fine - that was about 4 years ago...never let it run out of salt and
it keeps doing what it should be. The fridge is about 4 years old we bought
it brand new.

The booklet that came with the refrigerator says some models have a water
filter, we searched ours over and haven't been able to find one.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Shel wrote:
I have a GE refrigerator/freezer with an icemaker..the kind where you can
get ice cubes, crushed ice or water out of the freezer door. The ice stinks
and has powder in and on it...the metal in the unit stinks and collects
powder on it too. Some of the ice comes through with green slime....I've
taken the icemaker apart washed it many times and we still wind up with
this....We do have a water softener hooked up ...any help or input would be
very much
appreciated.
Thank you
Sheli

We got the same problem. If you search the web HARD enough you will
find others. Ours is not a GE though. its mold/mildew. A common
problem in commercial ice machines. Im not sure how one handles this
for their home. The only way I read was to replace all the water guts
of the fridge and the ice maker.

We havent used our ice in about 4 years now

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Shel

We got the same problem. If you search the web HARD enough you will find
others. Ours is not a GE though. its mold/mildew. A common problem in
commercial ice machines. Im not sure how one handles this for their home.
The only way I read was to replace all the water guts of the fridge and
the ice maker.

We havent used our ice in about 4 years now

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert

That is what we were thinking too, or just keep using ice trays and bagged
ice....the metal parts of our maker has rust on it now too. I emailed a
repair company and told them of the problem all they said was the rust is
causing the problem and that we had to buy new parts. But the rust happened
waaaaaaaay after the slime and powder started. We bought the fridge from
Sam's club, so that may be part of the problem LOL

Thank you
Sheli

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Shel wrote:
[...]

My honest opinion is this was caused by a combination of dirty water and
this geniously stupid non-frost freezer. This thing has a heating
element in it and every so often it warms up to melt stuff. I think
this thing is killing the ice and causeing the fungus/mold/mildew
(whatever it is) growth.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert