Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default Please help me interpret noise in the Santa Cruz mountains(roughly -75dBm across the 2.4GHz spectrum)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:45:30 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Point the Nanostation at SCZ, San Jose, or Loma Prieta and see if it can
hear more signals. If not, fix your radio, antenna, coax, etc.

Hello Jeff,

In preparation to resite the antenna with a stronger bracket in a
different location that doesn't have a steel plate in the wall, I just
ran three noise level tests - one pointed at the city of San Jose, the
other at cube at Mount Umunhum - and the third at Loma Prieta.

I set the preference on the top graph to 'show channel usage' (whatever
that means). And I set the bottom graph to 'show more channels'.

Here is the noise level with the antenna pointed at San Jose:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8876547.png

Here is the noise level with the antenna pointed at Loma Prieta:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8876568.png

And here is the noise level with the antenna pointed at the cube:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8876578.png

All I can make out is that the noise to San Jose and to Mount Umunhum are
about the same - while the noise to Loma Prieta is different.

I'm not sure what the AirView "channel usage" tells us - but they sure
are 'perty graphs. It would be nice to see what everyone else is getting
in their neighborhood by way of RF noise.
Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 1 Aug 2012 20:14:13 +0000 (UTC), "Vinny P."
wrote:

I'm not sure what the AirView "channel usage" tells us - but they sure
are 'perty graphs. It would be nice to see what everyone else is getting
in their neighborhood by way of RF noise.

Something is wrong. The signal levels are much too low. See sample
photos at:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ubiquiti+airviewn&tbm=isch

You might try pointing it at a wireless router some place nearby. If
it doesn't go nearly full scale, you have a sensitivity problem.

Also, you might try to drag your Nanostation over to the neighbor with
a similar system, and point it at the same access point. That way,
the signal levels should be the same. Then, compare AirView screen.

I just downloaded Airview 1.0.11 for my XP desktop. After installing,
it won't start. I'll troubleshoot later.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

wrote:
I'm not sure what the AirView "channel usage" tells us - but they sure
are 'perty graphs. It would be nice to see what everyone else is getting
in their neighborhood by way of RF noise.

you do know that the 2.4GHz band is the ISM band and is used for
microwave ovens among other things besides WiFi?

Mark
Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 18:56:13 -0700, Mark wrote:

you do know that the 2.4GHz band is the ISM band and is used for
microwave ovens among other things besides WiFi?

That's exactly why we're looking at the noise levels.

One theory was that there was industrial, scientific and medical (ISM)
band interference.
Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 19:31:59 +0000 (UTC), "Vinny P."
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 18:56:13 -0700, Mark wrote:

you do know that the 2.4GHz band is the ISM band and is used for
microwave ovens among other things besides WiFi?

That's exactly why we're looking at the noise levels.

I was going to grind some numbers converting 1mw/cm^2 at 5cm max
radiation leakage into what you would expect to see at various
distances, but got sidetracked. Maybe later.

However, interference is not your problem. From the spectrum display,
your receiver is comatose and can't hear either signal or
interference. Got a warranty?

One theory was that there was industrial, scientific and medical (ISM)
band interference.

Pick an interference source, any interference source:
http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi#Interference
I can add about 4 more sources that I've found recently. However, the
ones that I keep running into that are giving me the most trouble are
wireless streaming video, wireless security cameras, and wireless
point to point telemetry.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#