Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair
Vinny P. Vinny P. is offline

Default Please help me interpret noise in the Santa Cruz mountains(roughly -75dBm across the 2.4GHz spectrum)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:45:30 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Point the Nanostation at SCZ, San Jose, or Loma Prieta and see if it can
hear more signals. If not, fix your radio, antenna, coax, etc.

Hello Jeff,

In preparation to resite the antenna with a stronger bracket in a
different location that doesn't have a steel plate in the wall, I just
ran three noise level tests - one pointed at the city of San Jose, the
other at cube at Mount Umunhum - and the third at Loma Prieta.

I set the preference on the top graph to 'show channel usage' (whatever
that means). And I set the bottom graph to 'show more channels'.

Here is the noise level with the antenna pointed at San Jose:
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8876547.png

Here is the noise level with the antenna pointed at Loma Prieta:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8876568.png

And here is the noise level with the antenna pointed at the cube:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8876578.png

All I can make out is that the noise to San Jose and to Mount Umunhum are
about the same - while the noise to Loma Prieta is different.

I'm not sure what the AirView "channel usage" tells us - but they sure
are 'perty graphs. It would be nice to see what everyone else is getting
in their neighborhood by way of RF noise.