Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default Please help me interpret noise in the Santa Cruz mountains (roughly -75dBm across the 2.4GHz spectrum)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 19:31:59 +0000 (UTC), "Vinny P."
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 18:56:13 -0700, Mark wrote:

you do know that the 2.4GHz band is the ISM band and is used for
microwave ovens among other things besides WiFi?

That's exactly why we're looking at the noise levels.

I was going to grind some numbers converting 1mw/cm^2 at 5cm max
radiation leakage into what you would expect to see at various
distances, but got sidetracked. Maybe later.

However, interference is not your problem. From the spectrum display,
your receiver is comatose and can't hear either signal or
interference. Got a warranty?

One theory was that there was industrial, scientific and medical (ISM)
band interference.

Pick an interference source, any interference source:
http://wireless.wikia.com/wiki/Wi-Fi#Interference
I can add about 4 more sources that I've found recently. However, the
ones that I keep running into that are giving me the most trouble are
wireless streaming video, wireless security cameras, and wireless
point to point telemetry.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#