Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default Please help me interpret noise in the Santa Cruz mountains(roughly -75dBm across the 2.4GHz spectrum)

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 22:45:30 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Point the Nanostation at SCZ, San Jose, or
Loma Prieta and see if it can hear more signals. If not, fix your
radio, antenna, coax, etc.

Good idea. It's easiest to point to Loma Prieta or San Jose. I'm picking
up an antenna mount from an old Dish TV antenna because the mount I have
isn't sturdy enough for Santa Cruz winds - so when I set that up, I'll
test the AirView for more signals like you suggest.

Q2: What can I do to improve capacity & quality?

Post a picture of your derangement. Most of the problems I find are not
equipment problems. They're installation problems.

Here's a picture of the mount on the wall of the house near the roofline.
I tried to drill through the wall but ran into the hardest steel plate
you can imagine. Dulled two drill bits before I realized it was
impenetrable.
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8864332.jpg

You can see my first set of drill holes in this picture (to the right).
What is it that is inside the wall, I'll never know.

Q3: Why is there that much noise at channel 12 anyway?

A better question to ask is why don't you hear more signals?

When I replace the antenna mast, I'll run that test for you!

I belatedly realized the link I gave was lousy quality so here are the
full-size images:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8862580.png
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...mg/8862607.png

Yeah, much better. Thanks.

I think the spectrum analysis images of noise are really useful in
general to anyone who has WiFi!

How would you interpret these results with respect to noise in the Santa
Cruz mountains above Silicon Valley?

If your Nanostation is pointed at the Hilltop (or is it SurfnetC)
access point,you don't have anywhere near enough usable signal.

You know the mountains well. Rude Dave at Surfnet & Loren at Hilltop are
out here as well, but my signals are from Mike at Ridgewireless.net who
installed an AP recently to serve the mountain community.

These are the known ISP providers for the mountains that I know of (do
you know of any others)?
* Hughes Ku satellite
* Viasat Exede Ka satellite
* Surfnet WISP