Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House-Key is stuck in door lock

I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key is
stuck in the cylinder.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next to
the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Thanks

--
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

walter wrote:
I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I
reassembled the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key
cannot be removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder
but the key is stuck in the cylinder.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next
to the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Thanks

Liquid Wrench may or may not work, I don't know???

Graphite based Lock-Ease is what you want, your local hardware or auto
parts store should have it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:32:29 -0700, "walter"
wrote:

I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key is
stuck in the cylinder.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next to
the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Thanks

No photo shows up on the link?

Is the keyway cylinder move outwards when you pull the key?

Try pushing on the keyway cylinder, pushing it in and hold it as you
jiggle the key up and down to slide it out. Go good chance it will
come out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:32:29 -0700, "walter" wrote:

I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key is
stuck in the cylinder.

Was the key left in the cylinder for a period of time? IOW, did it have time
to corrode in place? If not, you may not have the lock aligned properly and
the key pull isn't where you think it is.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next to
the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

Take the cylinder out and soak it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Nothing but adds loaded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Take the lock apart again. Behind where the key goes in, there may be a
screw on cap, that holds the plug in. Might have to depress a pin, and
tighten the screw on cap a bit.

Liquid wrench (and graphited lock fluid) tend to dry up after a while. I use
WD-40, or spray silicone.

The server must be terribly busy, I could not get that picture on my
browser.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"walter" wrote in message
I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key is
stuck in the cylinder.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next to
the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Thanks

--
www.rationality.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key is
stuck in the cylinder.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next to
the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Thanks

If the key worked before you removed the lock, you did something wrong
when you put it back on the door (or broke something in the lock).
Remove the lock again, try to remove the key with the lock off the door.
Liquid wrench or WD40 should be ok to use, silicone spray is better
(comes in spray cans similar looking to the others). If key still wont
come out of lock with the lock off the door, and some lubrication added,
take the lock to a locksmith, or just replace it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Nothing but adds loaded.

I finally got the see the pic. The OP can try to push on the "keyway"
cylinder, and hold it. Pull the key out. Likely pins are froze against
the key cuts.

MHO
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 14:46:12 -0700, Oren wrote:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Nothing but adds loaded.

I finally got the see the pic. The OP can try to push on the "keyway"
cylinder, and hold it. Pull the key out. Likely pins are froze against
the key cuts.

Ah, soaking the cylinder in a solvent, perhaps followed by a light lubricant,
should do it then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"walter" wrote in message
I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key
is stuck in the cylinder.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next
to the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Pick up some air tool oil and soak the assembly in that for a day or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 21, 1:32*pm, "walter" wrote:
I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key is
stuck in the cylinder.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next to
the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Thanks

--www.rationality.net

LOL...

You are putting the lock together improperly...

Bolt position (either extended or retracted) is
important...

Also why are you leaving a key in the cylinder
during assembly unless that is a required step
in the process...

Sounds like a "timing" issue -- bolt state, keyway
plug position (should be empty at key pull) and
the orientation of the tailpiece from the exterior
cylinder are all factors which can cause your
problem...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"walter" wrote in message
I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key
is stuck in the cylinder.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next
to the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Thanks

--
www.rationality.net

Status report:

I finally got the key out.

Google to the rescue: Pointed me to the U-tube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv0GLJ3H10M

I adjusted the setting and out came the key.

Thanks everyone

Posted to alt.home.repair

With new eyes this morning, I see your double deadbolt is a Schlage. You
likely have a tailpiece timing error. Very, very common problem.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"walter" wrote in message
I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 5:32:29 PM UTC, walter wrote:
I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key is
stuck in the cylinder.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next to
the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Thanks

--
www.rationality.net

The key won't come out if the lock is between the locked and unlocked position. This would be the first thing I would suspect.

Jimmie
Posted to alt.home.repair

walter wrote:
"walter" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you also. I just fixed a lock with a bit of this problem using that video.
I just had to tighten up that adjustment a couple notches.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 19:08:55 -0700, "walter"
wrote:

Status report:

I finally got the key out.

Google to the rescue: Pointed me to the U-tube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv0GLJ3H10M

I adjusted the setting and out came the key.

Thanks everyone

Thanks for your fix. This lock came out of a metal door?

Frigidaire Range Lock Stuck with door open MoonsOfJupiter Home Repair 4 March 11th 19 12:44 AM
Stuck pad lock Bill Stock Home Repair 11 June 28th 07 08:38 PM
Front door multi-point lock slowly getting harder to lock [email protected] UK diy 2 April 14th 07 09:31 PM
door knobs with key lock and push button lock Nospam Home Repair 4 May 23rd 06 05:05 PM
GE electric slide-in self cleaning auto lock won't lock door sunni Home Repair 1 October 27th 05 12:47 PM