Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House-Key is stuck in door lock

On Sat, 21 Jul 2012 10:32:29 -0700, "walter" wrote:

I had to paint my French patio door. I removed the latch lock and the
deadbolt lock, a 30-year old Schlage product. Both locks are brass but,
being outside locks, they are somewhat corroded.

The deadbolt lock has keys for the inside and outside. When I reassembled
the deadbolt lock, the key would move the bolt, but the key cannot be
removed from the inside cylinder. The key turns the cylinder but the key is
stuck in the cylinder.

Was the key left in the cylinder for a period of time? IOW, did it have time
to corrode in place? If not, you may not have the lock aligned properly and
the key pull isn't where you think it is.

I was thinking of inserting some liquid wrench through the key-lock next to
the stuck key. Would that be OK or gum things up completely

Take the cylinder out and soak it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/1000294g.jpg/

Nothing but adds loaded.