Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ping Hey Bub

I am working on an article looking at rural physicians. How rural is
Tyler, Denton and McKinney compared to say, Pocotello ID, or Casper WY?
Are they really at least semi-rural or are they really just suburbs of a
big city. I am looking for at least an hour or two drive to a big
medical center.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
I am working on an article looking at rural physicians. How rural is
Tyler, Denton and McKinney compared to say, Pocotello ID, or Casper
WY? Are they really at least semi-rural or are they really just
suburbs of a big city. I am looking for at least an hour or two drive
to a big medical center.

Neither semi-rural nor suburbs of a big city. They are cities unto
themselves. Each has a population greater than 100,000, which is twice the
population of Pocotello or Casper.

Tyler, with a population approaching 100,000 is not what I'd call "rural,"
and it's not a suburb of anything. The closest larger city is Dallas, about
100 miles east.

Likewise Denton, with a population greater than 100,000 could not really be
called "rural." It's closer to Dallas than Tyler, about 40 miles northeast.

McKinney is about 30 miles north of Dallas and has a population of about
130,000. Again, not in my estimation a "rural" town.

Texas has 254 counties (a couple larger than some states) and you can find
lots of "rural" towns amongst them. Consider Dime Box, or Pflugerville,
Chicken Switch, Floating Stick, Little Rabbit, or Left Elbow. (I may have
miss-remembered some...)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:44:14 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Kurt Ullman wrote:
[...]

Turkey, Texas -- population 494 (2000 census)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey,_Texas#Demographics
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Texas has 254 counties (a couple larger than some states) and you can find
lots of "rural" towns amongst them. Consider Dime Box, or Pflugerville,
Chicken Switch, Floating Stick, Little Rabbit, or Left Elbow. (I may have
miss-remembered some...)

I need rural but also have a Rheumatologist in the area.. that is the
rub. In TX 27 counties have no MDs of any flavor and 16 only have 1 of
any flavor.
the *******s."-- Claire Wolfe
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Texas has 254 counties (a couple larger than some states) and you
can find lots of "rural" towns amongst them. Consider Dime Box, or
Pflugerville, Chicken Switch, Floating Stick, Little Rabbit, or Left
Elbow. (I may have miss-remembered some...)

I need rural but also have a Rheumatologist in the area.. that is the
rub. In TX 27 counties have no MDs of any flavor and 16 only have 1 of
any flavor.

I'm in a Houston sub-division and live in a duplex, or, rather, I live in
half of a duplex; the other half is the office for my small software
company. That said, I'm six blocks from a Class I Trauma Center, connected
to a six hundred bed teaching hospital. Next to the hospital are a couple of
ten-story professional buildings housing everything from dentists to
thoracic surgeons. This medical center is one of maybe twenty in my large
city.

Now arthritis is not the same as congenital heart failure; so it won't be
too bad if you have to drive 50 miles each way every six months. Therefore,
most anywhere in Texas should be able to accommodate your needs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/19/2012 11:27 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:44:14 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

[snip]

Turkey, Texas -- population 494 (2000 census)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey,_Texas#Demographics

A few years ago, I went through a little town called Thurber
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurber,_Texas) about 75 miles west of
Fort Worth.

BTW, there's a restaurant there that has really good chicken fried steaks.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

"Among all mental diseases that have been systematically inoculated into
the human cranium, the religious pest is the most abominable." [Johann
Most, "The God Pestilence",]
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mark Lloyd" wrote in message
On 07/19/2012 11:27 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:44:14 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

[snip]

Turkey, Texas -- population 494 (2000 census)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey,_Texas#Demographics

A few years ago, I went through a little town called Thurber
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurber,_Texas) about 75 miles west of Fort
Worth.

BTW, there's a restaurant there that has really good chicken fried steaks.

That statement covers about 98% of the small towns in Texas. (you may have
to look/ask a local to be sure)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 12:55:55 -0500, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On 07/19/2012 11:27 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:44:14 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

[snip]

Turkey, Texas -- population 494 (2000 census)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkey,_Texas#Demographics

A few years ago, I went through a little town called Thurber
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thurber,_Texas) about 75 miles west of
Fort Worth.

BTW, there's a restaurant there that has really good chicken fried steaks.

Population 25. G

I like to travel small towns. A new highway was built that bypassed
Black, Alabama. The one blinker light in Black had been shot out and
was a nest for Martin birds before the new road was built.

Two Egg, Florida (not far from Black, AL) used to have two stores up
until around 2000.

"...Yes, Two Egg is a real place. We are located amidst the
farms, woods and lakes of Jackson County, Florida. We
have no city government, no city taxes, no city services
and no city attitudes!"

"Two Egg is a where people still wave as they pass,
neighbors know and care about their neighbors and life
is lived with a touch of Southern charm and hospitality."

http://www.twoeggfla.com/

They even have their "own monster, a "mini-Bigfoot" called the Two Egg
Stump Jumper!"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

On 07/19/2012 11:27 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:44:14 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

Is there White, Alabama? Just curious.... :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 12:15:21 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

On 07/19/2012 11:27 AM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 10:44:14 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

[snip]

[...]

can't say fer sure Black is largely populated by white.

Ping: Toy Larry Jaques[_4_] Woodworking 1 October 27th 11 03:55 AM
Ping RBM WW[_2_] Home Repair 2 June 27th 11 02:17 PM
Ping Leo: Gunner[_2_] Metalworking 3 October 5th 08 11:41 PM
Fly by night PING PING Shopdog Woodworking 6 May 18th 06 04:08 AM
Ping JJ Leon Woodworking 2 January 8th 06 04:34 AM