Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Another refrigerator question

The recent refrigerator thread has inspired me to ask about our recent
problems too.

This is a GE side-by-side unit with icemaker and digital temp set/display
on the front panel, purchased 13 months ago with 5-year extended warranty.

It sits in an non air conditioned kitchen; but even through last summer it
managed to keep to the manufacturer's recommended set points of 0 degrees
for the freezer and 37 for the refrigerator.

Over the last few months, the temp on the freezer side (even after a cool
overnight with no door openings) has occasionally been over 10 degrees,
and now with the summer heat it is common to wake up in the morning to
find it still running, and the freezer side temp at 13 - 19 degrees.
Needless to say our ice cream is soupy. Really nothing about how we use,
load, arrange the refrigerator contents has changed; just the temperature.
Seals are OK, it's not overloaded. Abundant clearance at the bottom where
lots of hot air get expelled.

First visit from repair; told us the unit was never levelled properly
(installed by same dealer providing the extended warranty) and that was
interfering with defrosted runoff. Fixed that; 3 days later no change in
temperature.

Second repair visit; guy insists the temp gauge must be wrong because we
have ice. Told him that ice freezes at 32 degrees; showed him the soupy
ice cream. OK; he'll be back in 3 days with a repacement computer unit for
the front panel.

I'm not hopeful it will fix the issue; what else should we pursue with him
on the next visit?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm working on a customer's unit, which has different problems than that. As
to your unit, I'd look for dirty condensor, low air flow, defrost problems,
low freon.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Mike S." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm working on a customer's unit, which has different problems than that. As
to your unit, I'd look for dirty condensor, low air flow, defrost problems,
low freon.

Thanks, will float those by the repair guy when he returns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2012 12:44 PM, Mike S. wrote:
[...]

it's under warrantee. why do you care how often he comes out until it's
fixed? does your state have a lemon law (3 strikes and you get your
money back)?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
chaniarts wrote:

it's under warrantee. why do you care how often he comes out until it's
fixed? does your state have a lemon law (3 strikes and you get your
money back)?

We do have a lemon law; however, the manufacturer's warranty expired last
month and I'm not sure if the lemon law applies to third-party warranty
extensions. Good thought; will keep that in mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Please write back, so we can learn, also.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Mike S." wrote in message

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
I'm working on a customer's unit, which has different problems than that.
As
to your unit, I'd look for dirty condensor, low air flow, defrost problems,
low freon.

Thanks, will float those by the repair guy when he returns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 3:16 pm, (Mike S.) wrote:
In article ,

chaniarts wrote:

it's under warrantee. why do you care how often he comes out until it's
fixed? does your state have a lemon law (3 strikes and you get your
money back)?

We do have a lemon law; however, the manufacturer's warranty expired last
month and I'm not sure if the lemon law applies to third-party warranty
extensions. Good thought; will keep that in mind.

If you paid by credit card, it might be that your manufacturer's
warranty
is extended.....

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Robert wrote:
On Jul 18, 3:16 pm, (Mike S.) wrote:
In article ,

chaniarts wrote:

it's under warrantee. why do you care how often he comes out until it's
fixed? does your state have a lemon law (3 strikes and you get your
money back)?

We do have a lemon law; however, the manufacturer's warranty expired last
month and I'm not sure if the lemon law applies to third-party warranty
extensions. Good thought; will keep that in mind.

If you paid by credit card, it might be that your manufacturer's
warranty
is extended.....

Another good point. I don't think the card we used offers that feature but
it won't hurt to look back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please write back, so we can learn, also.

Will do. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:44:51 PM UTC-7, Mike S. wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much for doing business with China and have a nice day.
Let me inform you youngins: In my day the refrigerators lasted at least twenty years and everything in them froze solid no matter how many times you opened the door.
NOW do you people see why I’ve been yelling and screaming all these years?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:01:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

In "your" day, you didn't have Congress and the EPA in your private affairs,
either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 21:33:42 -0400, "
wrote:

In "your" day, you didn't have Congress and the EPA in your private affairs,
either.

And the refrigerators worked well without computers in them. This
thread is a good reminder to keep what I have running as long as I
can.

I admit that cars run better these days with the fuel injection and
computer settings, but refrigerators, dishwashers, and ranges don't
need all of that brain power to work well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 6:33:42 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:01:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:44:51 PM UTC-7, Mike S. wrote:
>> The recent refrigerator thread has inspired me to ask about our recent
>> problems too.
>>
>> This is a GE side-by-side unit with icemaker and digital temp set/display
>> on the front panel, purchased 13 months ago with 5-year extended warranty.
>>
>> It sits in an non air conditioned kitchen; but even through last summer it
>> managed to keep to the manufacturer's recommended set points of 0 degrees
>> for the freezer and 37 for the refrigerator.
>>
>> Over the last few months, the temp on the freezer side (even after a cool
>> overnight with no door openings) has occasionally been over 10 degrees,
>> and now with the summer heat it is common to wake up in the morning to
>> find it still running, and the freezer side temp at 13 - 19 degrees.
>> Needless to say our ice cream is soupy. Really nothing about how we use,
>> load, arrange the refrigerator contents has changed; just the temperature.
>> Seals are OK, it's not overloaded. Abundant clearance at the bottom where
>> lots of hot air get expelled.
>>
>> First visit from repair; told us the unit was never levelled properly
>> (installed by same dealer providing the extended warranty) and that was
>> interfering with defrosted runoff. Fixed that; 3 days later no change in
>> temperature.
>>
>> Second repair visit; guy insists the temp gauge must be wrong because we
>> have ice. Told him that ice freezes at 32 degrees; showed him the soupy
>> ice cream. OK; he'll be back in 3 days with a repacement computer unit for
>> the front panel.
>>
>> I'm not hopeful it will fix the issue; what else should we pursue with him
>> on the next visit?
>
> the manufacturer's warranty expired last
>month
>Thank you very much for doing business with China and have a nice day.
>Let me inform you youngins: In my day the refrigerators lasted at least twenty years and everything in them froze solid no matter how many times you opened the door.
>NOW do you people see why I ve been yelling and screaming all these years?

In "your" day, you didn't have Congress and the EPA in your private affairs,
either.

Yes, quite true, but it's US that is LETTING our government dictate our lives as well. Let's start with the corporation mongers and finish with the public sector and let's get rid of all of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In "your" day, you didn't have Congress and the EPA in your private affairs,
either.

And the refrigerators worked well without computers in them. This
thread is a good reminder to keep what I have running as long as I
can.

That's a good plan, but irrelevant.

I admit that cars run better these days with the fuel injection and
computer settings, but refrigerators, dishwashers, and ranges don't
need all of that brain power to work well.

No, but they do "need" the higher efficiency. The government says so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 18, 2012 12:44:51 PM UTC-7, Mike S. wrote:
>> The recent refrigerator thread has inspired me to ask about our recent
>> problems too.
>>
>> This is a GE side-by-side unit with icemaker and digital temp set/display
>> on the front panel, purchased 13 months ago with 5-year extended warranty.
>>
>> It sits in an non air conditioned kitchen; but even through last summer it
>> managed to keep to the manufacturer's recommended set points of 0 degrees
>> for the freezer and 37 for the refrigerator.
>>
>> Over the last few months, the temp on the freezer side (even after a cool
>> overnight with no door openings) has occasionally been over 10 degrees,
>> and now with the summer heat it is common to wake up in the morning to
>> find it still running, and the freezer side temp at 13 - 19 degrees.
>> Needless to say our ice cream is soupy. Really nothing about how we use,
>> load, arrange the refrigerator contents has changed; just the temperature.
>> Seals are OK, it's not overloaded. Abundant clearance at the bottom where
>> lots of hot air get expelled.
>>
>> First visit from repair; told us the unit was never levelled properly
>> (installed by same dealer providing the extended warranty) and that was
>> interfering with defrosted runoff. Fixed that; 3 days later no change in
>> temperature.
>>
>> Second repair visit; guy insists the temp gauge must be wrong because we
>> have ice. Told him that ice freezes at 32 degrees; showed him the soupy
>> ice cream. OK; he'll be back in 3 days with a repacement computer unit for
>> the front panel.
>>
>> I'm not hopeful it will fix the issue; what else should we pursue with him
>> on the next visit?
>
> the manufacturer's warranty expired last
>month
>Thank you very much for doing business with China and have a nice day.
>Let me inform you youngins: In my day the refrigerators lasted at least twenty years and everything in them froze solid no matter how many times you opened the door.
>NOW do you people see why I ve been yelling and screaming all these years?

In "your" day, you didn't have Congress and the EPA in your private affairs,
either.

Yes, quite true, but it's US that is LETTING our government dictate our lives as well. Let's start with the corporation mongers and finish with the public sector and let's get rid of all of them.

You don't have to act dumb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In "your" day, you didn't have Congress and the EPA in your private affairs,
either.

And the refrigerators worked well without computers in them. This
thread is a good reminder to keep what I have running as long as I
can.

I admit that cars run better these days with the fuel injection and
computer settings, but refrigerators, dishwashers, and ranges don't
need all of that brain power to work well.

I just want a refrigerator you can set time of day for defrost, and I don't
want it rotating around the clock. Might have to do it myself.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 04:16:42 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

I just want a refrigerator you can set time of day for defrost, and I don't
want it rotating around the clock. Might have to do it myself.

Greg

With a good refrigerator, you'll never notice the defrost times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

You got tired of your milk and vegetables freezing?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message news:62a1a1b1-cdfc-4499-9993-

“the manufacturer's warranty expired last
month”
Thank you very much for doing business with China and have a nice day.
Let me inform you youngins: In my day the refrigerators lasted at least
twenty years and everything in them froze solid no matter how many times you
opened the door.
NOW do you people see why I’ve been yelling and screaming all these years?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just want a refrigerator you can set time of day for defrost, and I don't
want it rotating around the clock. Might have to do it myself.

Greg

With a good refrigerator, you'll never notice the defrost times.

I don't agree, and if your actively working in the kitchen during defrost,
it's that much worse. I have measured refrigerators with data loggers,
without opening doors, and you might be surprised. Have yo eaten ice cream
at the end of the defrost cycle, or used data loggers ?

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I just want a refrigerator you can set time of day for defrost, and I don't
want it rotating around the clock. Might have to do it myself.

Greg

With a good refrigerator, you'll never notice the defrost times.

I don't agree, and if your actively working in the kitchen during defrost,
it's that much worse. I have measured refrigerators with data loggers,
without opening doors, and you might be surprised. Have yo eaten ice cream
at the end of the defrost cycle, or used data loggers ?

Greg

Again, I've never noticed any changes with my ice cream at different
times and don't see it as a problem. Our experiences and
refrigerators differ. My ice cream is just soft enough to scoop. I
keep it on the door as it is just a couple degrees warmer than if it
is on a shelf inside.

I really was never curious what a data loggers says as it does not
affect my use. I'm sure it uses more energy at times and I have no
idea how much. I have no idea what time or times it goes into defrost
cycle. One fridge is about 20 years old, the other about 10.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When I'm working in the kitchen, I'm often reminded of a long quiet pause
in the fridge. It will also make little cracking sounds. I never had to
think about it much, but figure why they decided to rotate the defrost
cycle around the clock, something like add or subtract 1 hour every day.
Why didn't they just use a 24 hour setting ??
I think they had a reason.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And the reason. If it defrosted every day before mealtime, that probably is
not a good idea.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

The mechanical defrost timer I've seen, are all set in fractions of 24
hours. 6, 8, or 12 hours. I think it would make much more sense to use an
odd number, so the defrost times are different, each day.

My Dad mentioned to me one time that the family fridge went into defrost at
exactly the time he went to dinner. I advanced the timer a bit, so it was
different time. But, an odd number hours on the timer would have been
better.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"gregz" wrote in message

When I'm working in the kitchen, I'm often reminded of a long quiet pause
in the fridge. It will also make little cracking sounds. I never had to
think about it much, but figure why they decided to rotate the defrost
cycle around the clock, something like add or subtract 1 hour every day.
Why didn't they just use a 24 hour setting ??
I think they had a reason.

Greg

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Stormin Mormon wrote:
Please write back, so we can learn, also.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

First update.

On the second repair visit, the tech placed an order for a new CPU unit.
In the intervening days, a package arrived from GE's parts warehouse.

On the appointed day, a different tech arrived (I was no in the house that
dya) and told the family that the first tech had ordered the wrong part
(it said "inverter unit" on the box). Freezer temperature now hovering
about 20 and, for the first time, refrigerator temp consistently above set
point too.

They shoved the list of things to check (suggested here) under his nose.
He removed the back wall of the freezer compartment to reveal the
condenser encased in ice. So it's a defrost problem - suggested here - and
we noted the temperatures are highest on the days with the most humidity.

More parts ordered - return visit sched for tomorrow (Tuesday 7/24).

Posted to alt.home.repair

Encased in ice, would be the evaporator. The condensor gets hot. Other than
that, it's progress. At least you have a general idea what's going on.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

Refrigerator question KenK Home Repair 7 December 27th 11 04:57 PM
Refrigerator question. LouB[_3_] Home Repair 11 December 12th 10 07:46 PM
LG Refrigerator question Ray Home Repair 4 May 1st 06 04:52 PM
Refrigerator Question [email protected] Home Repair 2 August 23rd 05 12:40 PM
another refrigerator question cat rancher Home Repair 2 June 15th 05 03:45 AM