Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Refrigerator question

Last August I replaced my failing refrigerator with a new Kenmore. All
the many years I had the old refrigerator the freezer temp was a bit
below 0, until its last few weeks. The new Kenmore was also, the first
three or four months. Then it suddenly changed to + 4 to + 7 or so with
the analog freezer thermometer. I called warranty repair and the repair
guy checked it out and said it was normal. I was doubtful. I bought an
additional thermometer, a $10 digital freezer thermometer. Then, last
Saturday, the temp suddenly went up to +17. It seemed to go up to 17 or
so, then the cooling would come on and reduce it to around 0, then with
the cooling function off it would go back to 17, slowly, over and over. I
think it is a defective freezer thermostat, or don't they work that way
anymore? I called for service again Saturday, which will come this
Wednesday. How can I convince this service person this time that I really
have defective freezer function so it gets properly repaired? I'm afraid
the next temperature change, or the one after, will be to above freezing.
These Sears repair guys work on all the appliances and perhaps understand
none of them really well.

Or am I wrong and this is within normal freezer operation parameters?
BTW. the non-freezer portion of the refrigerator has, according to an old
analog thermometer, remained normal.

Ken

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message
[...]

I have temperature gauges in my refrigerator/freezer and the
temperatures are always about the same.

Perhaps they placed the temperature gauge in a spot which freezes with
ice. And that does not melt with the auto defrost. So it thinks it is
colder than it is elsewhere in the freezer.

Was your refrigerator made in China? This is the type of problem I am
finding with products made in China. I need to "re-design" things to
get it to work properly! Luckily I know how to do that...

Perhaps you can relocate the freezer temperature sensor to a better
location? If it is electronic, then that would be much easier.

An electronic sensor might look like the following on the end of a
wire...
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/300...ontain er.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

You're probably noticing the defrost cycle. Let me guess. About 25 minutes
long time, and either three or four times a day? The cold control
(thermostat) is typically in the fridge. The freezer relies on the blast of
cold air from the evaporator.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"KenK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in
:

"KenK" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know. Manual doesn't seem to say that I can find.

This is the type of problem I am
finding with products made in China. I need to "re-design" things to
get it to work properly! Luckily I know how to do that...

Perhaps you can relocate the freezer temperature sensor to a better
location? If it is electronic, then that would be much easier.

But it worked correctly the first three months or so and hasn't been
moved. However, the temps changed.

An electronic sensor might look like the following on the end of a
wire...
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/300...rature_Sensor_
for_Geothermal_Container.jpg

--
"Experience is something you don't get until
just after you need it." Steven Wright

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

You're probably noticing the defrost cycle. Let me guess. About 25
minutes long time, and either three or four times a day? The cold
control (thermostat) is typically in the fridge. The freezer relies on
the blast of cold air from the evaporator.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I don't think so. This temperature cycle repeats over and over, every
time I check the temp. It didn't do this the first three months. My old
refrigerator didn't either - when the the defrost cycle occured it was
seldom and pretty obvious.

"KenK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

After defrost cycle, my next SWAG would be a start relay on the compressor
going bad.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"KenK" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
:

You're probably noticing the defrost cycle. Let me guess. About 25
minutes long time, and either three or four times a day? The cold
control (thermostat) is typically in the fridge. The freezer relies on
the blast of cold air from the evaporator.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

I don't think so. This temperature cycle repeats over and over, every
time I check the temp. It didn't do this the first three months. My old
refrigerator didn't either - when the the defrost cycle occured it was
seldom and pretty obvious.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"KenK" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote :

You're probably noticing the defrost cycle. Let me guess. About 25
minutes long time, and either three or four times a day? The cold
control (thermostat) is typically in the fridge. The freezer relies on
the blast of cold air from the evaporator.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I don't think so. This temperature cycle repeats over and over, every
time I check the temp. It didn't do this the first three months. My old
refrigerator didn't either - when the the defrost cycle occured it was
seldom and pretty obvious.

The OP needs to see if any vents are blocked, and if he is always
checking at the same times or not, maybe the change to non-daylight
savings time has altered when he checks the temp. A few degrees
change is normal, but if it varies by more than 5 degrees in any non-
deforst time period, something is wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"hr(bob) " wrote in
:

wrote:
After defrost cycle, my next SWAG would be a start relay on the
compresso

going bad.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*
www.lds.org
.

"KenK" wrote in message

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
innews:NP1Kq.1

:

You're probably noticing the defrost cycle. Let me guess. About 25
minutes long time, and either three or four times a day? The cold
control (thermostat) is typically in the fridge. The freezer relies
on the blast of cold air from the evaporator.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org
.

I don't think so. This temperature cycle repeats over and over, every
time I check the temp. It didn't do this the first three months. My
old refrigerator didn't either - when the the defrost cycle occured
it was seldom and pretty obvious.

The OP needs to see if any vents are blocked, and if he is always
checking at the same times or not, maybe the change to non-daylight
savings time has altered when he checks the temp.

My state (AZ) doesn't do daylight savings time. Also, I check at random
times - probably five or six times a day.

A few degrees
change is normal, but if it varies by more than 5 degrees in any non-
deforst time period, something is wrong.

That's what I think too. Now to try to convince the repair guy tomorrow.
If not, I guess I'll have to wait until the freezer thaws my stuff. Then
I suspect/hope I'll be believed.