Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharkbites

Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. Had lent it to some friends, and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a 2x4
stud wall. What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 08:22:24 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. Had lent it to some friends, and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a 2x4
stud wall. What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

OT -- Did those fires get close to your cabin? My neighbor had them
within a mile of his UT cabin. Luckily they moved in another
direction, so his property was safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 08:22:24 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. Had lent it to some friends,
and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a
2x4
stud wall. What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

OT -- Did those fires get close to your cabin? My neighbor had them
within a mile of his UT cabin. Luckily they moved in another
direction, so his property was safe.

No, they were much more SE from us. We went up to scout some firewood
locations, and while we were up near Brian Head, a big storm was dropping a
lot of water in the fire area. It was 60 degrees. It was very refreshing.
One of the larger fires threatened my SIL's home in New Harmony, but they
were spared. It started from a transformer that exploded.

Some of the work I have to do is clear wood around the cabin. That area
farther up around Duck Creek is up to 75% dead because there was in
infestation of bark beetles, and the tree huggers did not want them to
spray, and were successful in keeping them from doing so. I am surprised it
hasn't gone up in a puff of smoke before now. They are in the process of
letting people log it out for firewood.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 11:22*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. *Had lent it to some friends, and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. *I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a 2x4
stud wall. *What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

Which fittings did you use?

I've used straight connectors, tees and caps.

I haven't tried any of the slip fittings yet. Did you?

I was watching a football game one time. When a commercial came on I
went downstairs, turned off the main, cut the pipe to the backyard
spigot, capped it with a SharkBite cap and turned the water back on,
all before the commercial was over.

Other than the cost, they are great. For quick fixes and hard to sweat
locations, they can't be beat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 11:22 am, "Steve B" wrote:
Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. Had lent it to some friends, and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a
2x4
stud wall. What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

Which fittings did you use?

I've used straight connectors, tees and caps.

I haven't tried any of the slip fittings yet. Did you?

I was watching a football game one time. When a commercial came on I
went downstairs, turned off the main, cut the pipe to the backyard
spigot, capped it with a SharkBite cap and turned the water back on,
all before the commercial was over.

Other than the cost, they are great. For quick fixes and hard to sweat
locations, they can't be beat.

****

I thought they all were slip fittings. Anyway, I used two straight slips on
one piece, and two on another. The longest time is for cutting out the old
section, and cutting a new piece of replacement pipe. They were in
inaccessible places, but I use them everywhere on the cabin so I do not have
to sweat anything. The woods are very dry, and there is serious fire
danger.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 11:22 am, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Actually, they are all referred to as Push-Fit fittings, not slip
fittings.

Only the ones at the bottom of this page are considered Slip Fittings/
Slip Couplings by Cash Acme:

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite_pushfit.php

The Slip Fittings are their equivalent of a repair coupling in that
you can slide (slip) the long side of the fitting along the pipe.

Those are the ones I've never tried, although had I known they
existed, I could have used one of the slip tees on a job I did. I was
lucky to have just enough play to get a regular tee where I needed it
but a slip tee would have been much easier.

I've sweated a complex multi-fitting section on the bench and then
used a Sharkbite up in the joist bay to connect it to the existing
pipe. Saved a bunch of money and work that way, plus no sweating in a
confined space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 07:28:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I noticed on the link that the Slip Fittings are for "use with copper
only".

I never knew dat :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I never knew dat :-\- Hide quoted text -

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the slip section will only
work on copper, but any opening with the stop will work on PEX also.

In my case I was Tee'ing a length of PEX off of the street pressure
copper line that ran to the front hose spigot so I could have street
pressure at the backyard spigot also. Originally the backyard spigot
had been plumbed after the PRV.

I'm guessing that the Tee outlet would accept PEX. I can't imagine why
that part of the fitting would be any different than any other
SharkBite fitting since there is no "slip" involved there.

I'll certainly check before I attempt anything like that, but I'll be
surprised if I'm wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

*****

On the display board there at the borg, they have all sorts of things that
you can mix and comingle with sharkbites. Copper to PEX, and all sorts of
combinations. I would imagine that since it would be very easy for
SharkBite to come up with any combination, it would be available at the
borg.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

******

On the display board there at the borg, they have all sorts of things that
you can mix and comingle with sharkbites. *Copper to PEX, and all sorts of
combinations. *I would imagine that since it would be very easy for
SharkBite to come up with any combination, it would be available at the
borg.

Steve

Yes, that's true but I don't think that's what we are discussing.

I used a Tee with copper into the 2 ends and Pex out of the Tee. At
the other end I used an elbow with Pex in and copper out. We know we
can mix and match materials with any of the non-slip fittings.

What Oren and I were chatting about was the fact that the website says
the Slip fittings can only be used with copper. I was saying that I'd
guess that it's only the long slip section - the end without the stop
- that only works with copper. I'd find it strange if there was
something different about the "orifices" with the stops that prevents
them from being used with Pex.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

***

I guess I have to go back and look at that display. IIRC, they have a
copper to pex fitting. I did buy one for my water heater, and installed
same.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

I think you've missed the point once again.

All of the SharkBite fittings - other than those few fittings
specifically designated as "Slip Fittings/Slip Couplings" - can be
used with copper and Pex at the same time. That's one of the beauties
of SharkBites, the ease of transition from various types of material.

However, look at their website, way down at the bottom, where they
have a subset of fittings that they specifically call Slip Fittings/
Slip Couplings.

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite_pushfit.php

To quote the website, these Slip Fittings/Slip Couplings are for "For
use with copper only."

Now look at the Slip Tee on the bottom of that page. The Tee port
looks just like any other SharkBite port, so I maintain that you could
use that specific port with Pex. I think that they mean that the Slip
ports (the long side of the Tee that doesn't have a stop) can only be
used with copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

This is my understanding of the "slip fitting" after reading the link
the first time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Okay, I think even I got it that time. I did not know about these slip
fittings. The burst area of the pipe is only 1" to 1.5", and with these, it
requires only one, and not two like I have been doing it. It took some
time, but I got it. Thanks. This will make it simpler for me, plus adding
a Schrader to the system, and blowing it out completely each fall when I
shut the water system down.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 10:54:58 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

[...]

Hey. I was not aware of the "slip" fittings. I did know of the
Copper, PVC, PEX connects -- "push fit".

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote

Hey. I was not aware of the "slip" fittings. I did know of the
Copper, PVC, PEX connects -- "push fit".

I hope I got it right. You have to scroll down to near the end. If I got
it right, it lets you slide the pipe inside to a desired depth rather than
having a stop in there. That would allow you to just cut out the burst
piece, or pierced however short section, and then put the slip over it, and
insert both ends. That would eliminate making a repair piece, and having to
use two bites to make up the pieces. Inside the slip fit, the two pipe ends
would be a little ways apart, but it would seal.

Is that right?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 16:31:12 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote

Hey. I was not aware of the "slip" fittings. I did know of the
Copper, PVC, PEX connects -- "push fit".

I hope I got it right. You have to scroll down to near the end. If I got
it right, it lets you slide the pipe inside to a desired depth rather than
having a stop in there. That would allow you to just cut out the burst
piece, or pierced however short section, and then put the slip over it, and
insert both ends. That would eliminate making a repair piece, and having to
use two bites to make up the pieces. Inside the slip fit, the two pipe ends
would be a little ways apart, but it would seal.

Is that right?

Steve

shrugs On first reading, the slip fitting has a stop inside on one
end. Using the other end you can slide the slip fitting up the copper
line on one side and then slide it to the other direction (which has
the stop). Best to have a look at them at the Borg.

Of course, I've been wrong before ;-\ But I was mistaken then.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 7:31*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"Oren" wrote

Hey. I was not aware of the "slip" *fittings. *I did know of the
Copper, PVC, PEX connects -- "push fit".

I hope I got it right. *You have to scroll down to near the end. *If I got
it right, it lets you slide the pipe inside to a desired depth rather than
having a stop in there. *That would allow you to just cut out the burst
piece, or pierced however short section, and then put the slip over it, and
insert both ends. *That would eliminate making a repair piece, and having to
use two bites to make up the pieces. *Inside the slip fit, the two pipe ends
would be a little ways apart, but it would seal.

Is that right?

Steve

That's my understanding. You still have to cut out an inch of pipe to
install them, but this is how I see them being used:

I needed a Tee to tap into a street pressure cold water pipe so I
could run Pex from the front of the hosue to the back to get street
pressure at the backyard spigot.

I didn't know about the slip fittings, so I used a "regular" SharkBite
Tee. I cut out about 1" of copper so the connector would fit. Since
you need an inch inside each end of the connector, you have to move
one end or the other out of the way to get the connector in the "cut
out opening". Luckily, by removing a couple of hangers, I was to gain
enough play to be able to do this. So I connected the Tee to one open
end of pipe, used the play to push the other end past the fitting then
pulled it back and pushed it into the other side.

However, had I known about the slip fitting, I could have cut out 1"
of pipe, moved one side of the pipe just enough to be able to slip the
long end (the end without the stop) over the pipe, realigned them and
then slide the fitting back over the other pipe until it hit the stop.
There would have been no need to remove any hangers or hope that I had
enough lateral play.

I can see other cases where there might not ever be enough play in the
pipes to get a non-slip fitting in the gap.

One other thing that no one has mentioned about SharkBites: the fact
that all SharkBite connectors swivel after installation. This makes
them so convenient since you don't have to be precise like you do when
sweating. The pipe I Teed into was attached to the bottom of the
joists. I installed my Tee and then simply let the Pex rotate the
fitting upwards as I attached the Pex up inside the joist bay. When I
got to the other end, I let the Pex determine the angle of the 90
fitting that was attached to the copper that ran to the spigot.

Had I used sweat fittings, I would have had to angle everything just
right and also had short lengths and more fittings to connect the
front of the house to the rear. That was the reason I lived with house
pressure at the backyard spigot for so many years. It would have been
a major pain to run copper over the ductwork, having to sweat fittings
only where I could get to them, make sure all the angles were sweated
just right, etc.

As soon as I learned about SharkBites, I jumped on the project and was
done in few hours. SWMBO was extremely happy since it cut her watering
time for her gardens considerably.