Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Sharkbites

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 9, 12:49 pm, Oren wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 07:28:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
Actually, they are all referred to as Push-Fit fittings, not slip
fittings.

Only the ones at the bottom of this page are considered Slip Fittings/
Slip Couplings by Cash Acme:

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite_pushfit.php

The Slip Fittings are their equivalent of a repair coupling in that
you can slide (slip) the long side of the fitting along the pipe.

Those are the ones I've never tried, although had I known they
existed, I could have used one of the slip tees on a job I did. I was
lucky to have just enough play to get a regular tee where I needed it
but a slip tee would have been much easier.

I've sweated a complex multi-fitting section on the bench and then
used a Sharkbite up in the joist bay to connect it to the existing
pipe. Saved a bunch of money and work that way, plus no sweating in a
confined space.

I noticed on the link that the Slip Fittings are for "use with copper
only".

I never knew dat :-\- Hide quoted text -

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the slip section will only
work on copper, but any opening with the stop will work on PEX also.

In my case I was Tee'ing a length of PEX off of the street pressure
copper line that ran to the front hose spigot so I could have street
pressure at the backyard spigot also. Originally the backyard spigot
had been plumbed after the PRV.

I'm guessing that the Tee outlet would accept PEX. I can't imagine why
that part of the fitting would be any different than any other
SharkBite fitting since there is no "slip" involved there.

I'll certainly check before I attempt anything like that, but I'll be
surprised if I'm wrong.

*****

On the display board there at the borg, they have all sorts of things that
you can mix and comingle with sharkbites. Copper to PEX, and all sorts of
combinations. I would imagine that since it would be very easy for
SharkBite to come up with any combination, it would be available at the
borg.

Steve