Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sharkbites

Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. Had lent it to some friends, and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a 2x4
stud wall. What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 08:22:24 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. Had lent it to some friends, and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a 2x4
stud wall. What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

OT -- Did those fires get close to your cabin? My neighbor had them
within a mile of his UT cabin. Luckily they moved in another
direction, so his property was safe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Oren" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 8 Jul 2012 08:22:24 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. Had lent it to some friends,
and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a
2x4
stud wall. What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

OT -- Did those fires get close to your cabin? My neighbor had them
within a mile of his UT cabin. Luckily they moved in another
direction, so his property was safe.

No, they were much more SE from us. We went up to scout some firewood
locations, and while we were up near Brian Head, a big storm was dropping a
lot of water in the fire area. It was 60 degrees. It was very refreshing.
One of the larger fires threatened my SIL's home in New Harmony, but they
were spared. It started from a transformer that exploded.

Some of the work I have to do is clear wood around the cabin. That area
farther up around Duck Creek is up to 75% dead because there was in
infestation of bark beetles, and the tree huggers did not want them to
spray, and were successful in keeping them from doing so. I am surprised it
hasn't gone up in a puff of smoke before now. They are in the process of
letting people log it out for firewood.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 11:22*am, "Steve B" wrote:
Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. *Had lent it to some friends, and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. *I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a 2x4
stud wall. *What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

Which fittings did you use?

I've used straight connectors, tees and caps.

I haven't tried any of the slip fittings yet. Did you?

I was watching a football game one time. When a commercial came on I
went downstairs, turned off the main, cut the pipe to the backyard
spigot, capped it with a SharkBite cap and turned the water back on,
all before the commercial was over.

Other than the cost, they are great. For quick fixes and hard to sweat
locations, they can't be beat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 11:22 am, "Steve B" wrote:
Got to my cabin, and had two burst pipes. Had lent it to some friends, and
obviously they had not followed procedure on shutting down the water. I
used Shark Bites to repair one place under the cabin, and one place in a
2x4
stud wall. What a joy to use for repairs.

Steve

Which fittings did you use?

I've used straight connectors, tees and caps.

I haven't tried any of the slip fittings yet. Did you?

I was watching a football game one time. When a commercial came on I
went downstairs, turned off the main, cut the pipe to the backyard
spigot, capped it with a SharkBite cap and turned the water back on,
all before the commercial was over.

Other than the cost, they are great. For quick fixes and hard to sweat
locations, they can't be beat.

****

I thought they all were slip fittings. Anyway, I used two straight slips on
one piece, and two on another. The longest time is for cutting out the old
section, and cutting a new piece of replacement pipe. They were in
inaccessible places, but I use them everywhere on the cabin so I do not have
to sweat anything. The woods are very dry, and there is serious fire
danger.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 11:22 am, "Steve B" wrote:

[...]

Actually, they are all referred to as Push-Fit fittings, not slip
fittings.

Only the ones at the bottom of this page are considered Slip Fittings/
Slip Couplings by Cash Acme:

http://www.cashacme.com/prod_sharkbite_pushfit.php

The Slip Fittings are their equivalent of a repair coupling in that
you can slide (slip) the long side of the fitting along the pipe.

Those are the ones I've never tried, although had I known they
existed, I could have used one of the slip tees on a job I did. I was
lucky to have just enough play to get a regular tee where I needed it
but a slip tee would have been much easier.

I've sweated a complex multi-fitting section on the bench and then
used a Sharkbite up in the joist bay to connect it to the existing
pipe. Saved a bunch of money and work that way, plus no sweating in a
confined space.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 07:28:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

I noticed on the link that the Slip Fittings are for "use with copper
only".

I never knew dat :-\
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I never knew dat :-\- Hide quoted text -

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the slip section will only
work on copper, but any opening with the stop will work on PEX also.

In my case I was Tee'ing a length of PEX off of the street pressure
copper line that ran to the front hose spigot so I could have street
pressure at the backyard spigot also. Originally the backyard spigot
had been plumbed after the PRV.

I'm guessing that the Tee outlet would accept PEX. I can't imagine why
that part of the fitting would be any different than any other
SharkBite fitting since there is no "slip" involved there.

I'll certainly check before I attempt anything like that, but I'll be
surprised if I'm wrong.