Posted to alt.home.repair

Default sprinkler heads chopped off

I have some
Toro Mini 8 Rotor
sprinkler heads which were chopped off (and lost) by the riding lawn mower.
Does anyone know if there is a site where I can buy just the top inner part of the sprinkler heads anywhere for any model?
Does anyone know if a quick and fast way to fix those, without buying new ones. Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to replace.
Some people know all sorts of tricks, so maybe someone might share it here, or better yet, put a post on youtube!
Do any brands or merchants sell just those parts of the head which gets chopped off?

Is there a way to protect those? I was thinking of putting wooden stakes in the ground near them at the same height. I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though.
Next time, I will make sure that the mower is set higher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
I have some
Toro Mini 8 Rotor
sprinkler heads which were chopped off (and lost) by the riding lawn mower.
Does anyone know if there is a site where I can buy just the top inner part of the sprinkler heads anywhere for any model?
Does anyone know if a quick and fast way to fix those, without buying new ones. Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to replace.

Maybe you can get "contractor" pricing if you order or buy a dozen, or
so. I'd replace em and move on.. 'Course, I would investigate why I
needed to replace more than 1 or 2. Good luck with your repairs! Bill

Some people know all sorts of tricks, so maybe someone might share it here, or better yet, put a post on youtube!
Do any brands or merchants sell just those parts of the head which gets chopped off?

Is there a way to protect those? I was thinking of putting wooden stakes in the ground near them at the same height. I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though.
Next time, I will make sure that the mower is set higher.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2012 9:25 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some
Toro Mini 8 Rotor
sprinkler heads which were chopped off (and lost) by the riding lawn mower.
Does anyone know if there is a site where I can buy just the top inner part of the sprinkler heads anywhere for any model?
Does anyone know if a quick and fast way to fix those, without buying new ones. Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to replace.
Some people know all sorts of tricks, so maybe someone might share it here, or better yet, put a post on youtube!
Do any brands or merchants sell just those parts of the head which gets chopped off?

Is there a way to protect those? I was thinking of putting wooden stakes in the ground near them at the same height. I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though.
Next time, I will make sure that the mower is set higher.

If the head is broken, you need to replace it. If the pipe broke and
the head is intact, you need to repair the pipe (tedious but inexpensive
and not difficult). There are concrete rings at most lawn care
departments specially to protect the head. The head should be situated
so that the ring is on the surface of the ground, not pushed down into
soil, and the head recedes below the top of the ring...should be able to
roll over the ring and not damage the head or the mower. There are also
flexible pipes which are a short run from the water supply line to the
head...much better than a head sitting atop rigid pipe because with the
flex pipe you can't bust the supply line when you run over a head. All
of the mfgs of irrigation stuff have lots of info on their websites

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 18:25:59 -0700 (PDT), Deodiaus
wrote:

I have some
Toro Mini 8 Rotor
sprinkler heads which were chopped off (and lost) by the riding lawn mower.
Does anyone know if there is a site where I can buy just the top inner part of the sprinkler heads anywhere for any model?
Does anyone know if a quick and fast way to fix those, without buying new ones. Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to replace.
Some people know all sorts of tricks, so maybe someone might share it here, or better yet, put a post on youtube!
Do any brands or merchants sell just those parts of the head which gets chopped off?

Is there a way to protect those? I was thinking of putting wooden stakes in the ground near them at the same height. I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though.
Next time, I will make sure that the mower is set higher.

Probably come from China already assembled and no parts available for
them

Check with these guys. They have the entire had for $11+. My guess
is you won't find just parts though.
http://www.sprinklersupplystore.com/...p/mini8-4p.htm

or here for 9.44
http://www.sprinklersupplies4less.co...1727577f3e198c

Were they defective that the mower caught them? Or did you just cot
too low?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Deodiaus wrote:

[...]

try posting on freecycle or finding a store that recycles building products

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 11:40*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" atlas-
wrote:
In article ,

*Deodiaus wrote:
[...]

try posting on freecycle or finding a store that recycles building products- Hide quoted text -

If ten heads got cut off at the same time when mowing,
then clearly the heads were not installed correctly. They
must be set too high. Or
else he must have been mowing with them going. Sure,
once in a while, one will fail to retract properly and then
it can get hit. But 10 at the same time?

As for repair, after getting hit, there isn't going to be
anything to repair. The head is, well pretty much the
head. And once you whack it, well, it's whacked. Then
factor in that they have a limited life anyway. After
a while they wind up leaking around the pop-up seal
or stop rotating, etc. When you can get a new one for
$10 or less, I would not screw around.

When replacing them, it may be possible to unscrew
the whole inner assembly from the shell and only
replace that part. That can make it easier. However
his must be set too high in the ground and that can
only be corrected by digging it out and replacing the
whole thing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though.

Find all the " chopped off (and lost)" parts.

Next time, I will make sure that the mower is set higher.

Just scalp the grass turf at the roots. Close off the sprinklers and
go fishing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 9:25*pm, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some
Toro Mini 8 Rotor
sprinkler heads which were chopped off (and lost) by the riding lawn mower.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am unsure if they were all chopped off in the same day. Probably only 2 last time.

The problem is that the pop up nozzle did not recess all the way back. If I walk around and push them down, then it is ok.

I had someone else cut my yard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.gplawn.com/p-1253-toro-ro...cessories.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 9, 2:21*am, Deodiaus wrote:
I am unsure if they were all chopped off in the same day. *Probably only 2 last time.

The problem is that the pop up nozzle did not recess all the way back. *If I walk around and push them down, then it is ok.

I had someone else cut my yard.

It's unusual for that many heads to not retract. I'd consider
switching to another brand. I use Hunter and
it's rare that one doesn't retract. I guess it's possible
that there is something unique about your water that
leaves deposits. Also, a quick spray
with some silicone lube when they are up and in use
fixes the problem for months.

New Hunter Sprinkler Heads dnoyeB Home Repair 11 July 2nd 08 02:58 PM
Extending sprinkler heads Kurt Ullman Home Repair 8 June 3rd 07 12:20 AM
sprinkler heads sticking BernSox Home Repair 2 July 30th 06 07:40 AM
Sprinkler heads twfsa Home Repair 4 November 1st 05 12:56 AM
Hunter PGP Sprinkler Heads ?? James Home Repair 6 September 19th 05 02:54 PM