Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default sprinkler heads chopped off

On 7/6/2012 9:25 PM, Deodiaus wrote:
I have some
Toro Mini 8 Rotor
sprinkler heads which were chopped off (and lost) by the riding lawn mower.
Does anyone know if there is a site where I can buy just the top inner part of the sprinkler heads anywhere for any model?
Does anyone know if a quick and fast way to fix those, without buying new ones. Each one costs around $10, so I have about 10 which I need to replace.
Some people know all sorts of tricks, so maybe someone might share it here, or better yet, put a post on youtube!
Do any brands or merchants sell just those parts of the head which gets chopped off?

Is there a way to protect those? I was thinking of putting wooden stakes in the ground near them at the same height. I worry about flying debris hitting someone in the eye though.
Next time, I will make sure that the mower is set higher.

If the head is broken, you need to replace it. If the pipe broke and
the head is intact, you need to repair the pipe (tedious but inexpensive
and not difficult). There are concrete rings at most lawn care
departments specially to protect the head. The head should be situated
so that the ring is on the surface of the ground, not pushed down into
soil, and the head recedes below the top of the ring...should be able to
roll over the ring and not damage the head or the mower. There are also
flexible pipes which are a short run from the water supply line to the
head...much better than a head sitting atop rigid pipe because with the
flex pipe you can't bust the supply line when you run over a head. All
of the mfgs of irrigation stuff have lots of info on their websites