Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Extending sprinkler heads

About 18 years ago when we built the house, we put in sprinklers
right after the final grading. So, due to settling and other reasons
over the years, some of the heads even at full extension are spraying
much of the water into the ground nearby and not getting full benefit.
Are there any extensions of an inch or two that I could screw in or
other method of bringing the heads up a little? The are the spray heads
and not the big ones that popup and have the arm that makes them move
around.
I tried to dig them up and move them up that way, but it did not
work and they settled back down where they were before. These are Rain
Birds.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 2, 9:23 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
About 18 years ago when we built the house, we put in sprinklers
right after the final grading. So, due to settling and other reasons
over the years, some of the heads even at full extension are spraying
much of the water into the ground nearby and not getting full benefit.
Are there any extensions of an inch or two that I could screw in or
other method of bringing the heads up a little? The are the spray heads
and not the big ones that popup and have the arm that makes them move
around.
I tried to dig them up and move them up that way, but it did not
work and they settled back down where they were before. These are Rain
Birds.

They're just threaded connections aren't they? If so, a short nipple
or coupling could be inserted.

I think the simpler fix is still to just raise the heads. Either need
to pack down the ground more solidly underneath when you raise them or
might consider placing a pad of some sort underneath to give them a
resting point until things re-settle to the new location. Depending
on how much you need, the corner of a paver or similar would be
possibly be about right thickness.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
dpb wrote:

On Jun 2, 9:23 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
About 18 years ago when we built the house, we put in sprinklers
right after the final grading. So, due to settling and other reasons
over the years, some of the heads even at full extension are spraying
much of the water into the ground nearby and not getting full benefit.
Are there any extensions of an inch or two that I could screw in or
other method of bringing the heads up a little? The are the spray heads
and not the big ones that popup and have the arm that makes them move
around.
I tried to dig them up and move them up that way, but it did not
work and they settled back down where they were before. These are Rain
Birds.

They're just threaded connections aren't they? If so, a short nipple
or coupling could be inserted.

Okay. I suppose, now that you mention it, these are just standard pipe
sizes. Probably making more difficult than it needed to be.

I think the simpler fix is still to just raise the heads. Either need
to pack down the ground more solidly underneath when you raise them or
might consider placing a pad of some sort underneath to give them a
resting point until things re-settle to the new location. Depending
on how much you need, the corner of a paver or similar would be
possibly be about right thickness.

Tried the latter. It did not work either. Slipped off maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On Jun 2, 10:16 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article .com,

dpb wrote:
[...]

I'm sure it's a standard NPT thread -- I've never had a system and
although I've looked at fittings in passing, I don't recall offhand
what they use at the head -- 3/8", maybe???

I'd guess that would be the problem or not large enough -- if a block
underneath let it return to the same depth as before, the ground must
either very soft or the size of the support pad quite small --

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 10:23 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
. . .when we built the house, we put in sprinklers
right after the final grading. So, due to settling and other reasons
over the years, some of the heads even at full extension are spraying
much of the water into the ground nearby. . .
Are there any extensions of an inch or two that I could screw in or
other method of bringing the heads up a little? . . . . .. These are Rain
Birds.

Standard NPT pipe threads. Go to a Big Box store and figure out
what you need using either plastic couplings and/or nipples. My
Lowes has box after box of anything anybody might conceivably need to
extend heads.

There's a cheap and very, very useful doo-dad in the same part of the
store which allows you to unscrew a stuck nipple/coupling.

Make certain the pipes are free of dirt and debris when you do the
final installation. You don't want to clog the filter or nozzle in
the sprinkler head.

jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article om,
" wrote:

Make certain the pipes are free of dirt and debris when you do the
final installation. You don't want to clog the filter or nozzle in
the sprinkler head.

jason

That is my first cut. I yearly go through and take the heads off each
one, rinse out that little filter thingy and then run the sprinkler for
a couple of seconds before putting the head back on. If that don't take
care of the dirt and debris (g).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
About 18 years ago when we built the house, we put in sprinklers
right after the final grading. So, due to settling and other reasons
over the years, some of the heads even at full extension are spraying
much of the water into the ground nearby and not getting full benefit.
Are there any extensions of an inch or two that I could screw in or
other method of bringing the heads up a little? The are the spray heads
and not the big ones that popup and have the arm that makes them move
around.
I tried to dig them up and move them up that way, but it did not
work and they settled back down where they were before. These are Rain
Birds.

Why not just change the sprinkler-head risers to taller ones? You'd have to
dig up each head to do this. You could install cut-off risers - which let
you adjust the head to the exact height you want. I've had to raise/lower a
few heads on my system and that's how I dealt with it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"J.A. Michel" wrote:

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
..
.
[...]

Why not indeed? Thanks for that tip.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:

About 18 years ago when we built the house, we put in sprinklers
right after the final grading. So, due to settling and other reasons
over the years, some of the heads even at full extension are spraying
much of the water into the ground nearby and not getting full benefit.
Are there any extensions of an inch or two that I could screw in or
other method of bringing the heads up a little? The are the spray heads
and not the big ones that popup and have the arm that makes them move
around.
I tried to dig them up and move them up that way, but it did not
work and they settled back down where they were before. These are Rain
Birds.

There are short extenders - 2"? - and there are also continuous threaded
extensions you can cut to size. Another nifty is flexible tubing that
you can put between the pipe and the head - special adapter at each end
- so you can offset the sprinkler head. These are nice if you are prone
to running over the head and breaking the pipe, or if the head is too
close to sidewalk.

Installing sprinkler to an existing sprinkler system. MOEE Home Ownership 1 September 14th 06 10:53 PM
sprinkler heads sticking BernSox Home Repair 2 July 30th 06 08:40 AM
Sprinkler heads twfsa Home Repair 4 November 1st 05 01:56 AM
Heads up :( [email protected] Home Repair 14 October 16th 05 02:11 AM
Hunter PGP Sprinkler Heads ?? James Home Repair 6 September 19th 05 03:54 PM