Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Extending sprinkler heads

On Jun 2, 9:23 am, Kurt Ullman wrote:
About 18 years ago when we built the house, we put in sprinklers
right after the final grading. So, due to settling and other reasons
over the years, some of the heads even at full extension are spraying
much of the water into the ground nearby and not getting full benefit.
Are there any extensions of an inch or two that I could screw in or
other method of bringing the heads up a little? The are the spray heads
and not the big ones that popup and have the arm that makes them move
around.
I tried to dig them up and move them up that way, but it did not
work and they settled back down where they were before. These are Rain
Birds.

They're just threaded connections aren't they? If so, a short nipple
or coupling could be inserted.

I think the simpler fix is still to just raise the heads. Either need
to pack down the ground more solidly underneath when you raise them or
might consider placing a pad of some sort underneath to give them a
resting point until things re-settle to the new location. Depending
on how much you need, the corner of a paver or similar would be
possibly be about right thickness.