Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frost Free faucet

I just put in a frost free faucet. It was working OK for a while but
then it started to get not come on. If I played with it (off, on,
off, on ) then it would come on. Now no matter what I do it won't
come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm sure that is not the
issue and water does go to the pipe. I'm thinking somehow it is the
frost free faucet. Any suggestions on how to repair it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 18:11:17 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

I just put in a frost free faucet. It was working OK for a while but
then it started to get not come on. If I played with it (off, on,
off, on ) then it would come on. Now no matter what I do it won't
come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm sure that is not the
issue and water does go to the pipe. I'm thinking somehow it is the
frost free faucet. Any suggestions on how to repair it?

Take it apart. It is a simple hydrant, with a long shaft, and the
washer and seat at the inner end. Comes apart like any other washer
type faucet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I just put in a frost free faucet. It was working OK for a while but
then it started to get not come on. If I played with it (off, on,
off, on ) then it would come on. Now no matter what I do it won't
come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm sure that is not the
issue and water does go to the pipe. I'm thinking somehow it is the
frost free faucet. Any suggestions on how to repair it?

Return it to Harbor Freight. Get a refund. Stop buying crap from
Harbor Freight. It's all junk.
Now that that part is done, go to a reputable plumbing supply store and
buy a quality faucet. Problem solved!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just to clarify, I had a plumber put it in. He told me to pick one up
from a big box store and he would put it in. I didn't put it in. I
also did not buy it from harbor freight, I bought it from Lowes.

You are the one who put it in. You are the one who should know best
what's going on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, Actually I wondered if the added complexity of a frost free
was worth getting. After all if you just shut off the water every
fall there is no need for it.

Just because the OP installed the faucet doesn't mean he should (or
need) to know how it works on the inside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 20:40:28 -0700 (PDT), Harry K
wrote:

On Jun 29, 6:46ツ*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
I just put in a frost free faucet. ツ*It was working OK for a while but
then it started to get not come on. ツ*If I played with it (off, on,
off, on ) then it would come on. ツ*Now no matter what I do it won't
come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm sure that is not the
issue and water does go to the pipe. ツ*I'm thinking somehow it is the
frost free faucet. ツ*Any suggestions on how to repair it?

Hi,
You are the one who put it in. You are the one who should know best
what's going on.

Good advice except: Ever try to take one apart? The only time I
succeeded is after I dug it up, put it in a vice and used a BIG pipe
wrench. they are screwed together so tight you can't dissassemble in
place. At least I haven't succeded with 4 of mine and I tried them
all.

If I ever replace one of my bad ones, I will take it apart and
reassemble with reasonable torque before I install it.

Harry K

I've had 3 apart.
2 in place.
One started to leak one fall when I left the hose connected and we had
a hard freeze - it froze and pulled the tube out of the body enough to
open the valve. Took it apart - found out what was wrong, pressed it
back to the right length, put it back together and no more problem.
Replaced washers in 2 others. These are frost-proof hydrants that
replace a standard hose-bib coming through the basement wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

I didn't buy from harbor freight. I don't even think they sell them
there. I bought it from Lowes

Return it to Harbor Freight. *Get a refund. *Stop buying crap from
Harbor Freight. *It's all junk.
Now that that part is done, go to a reputable plumbing supply store and
buy a quality faucet. *Problem solved!!!!

After the HF delivery the truck goes to McLowes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

1) shut off water to faucet
2) disassemble
3) clean, lube
4) reassemble

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

" wrote in
message
I just put in a frost free faucet. It was working OK for a while but
then it started to get not come on. If I played with it (off, on,
off, on ) then it would come on. Now no matter what I do it won't
come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm sure that is not the
issue and water does go to the pipe. I'm thinking somehow it is the
frost free faucet. Any suggestions on how to repair it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

Just to clarify, I had a plumber put it in. He told me to pick one up
from a big box store and he would put it in. I didn't put it in. I
also did not buy it from harbor freight, I bought it from Lowes.

You are the one who put it in. You are the one who should know best
what's going on.

Is a quarter turn one?

If it is, which many are these days, take it apart. As stated, it's a long
shaft that pulls out. Old style used to have just a washer at the end. 1/4
turn ones I've opened have a metal cartridge at the end. The cartridge is
attached to the shaft with a screw. Something is probably wrong with the
cartridge. It probably can be replaced. Not sure if you can buy just the
cartridge at a plumbing supply. May have to buy a whole sillcock and use
that cartridge. Same cartridge used for different sillcock lengths with
McLowes sillcocks. Hopefully they have not changed Chinese manufacturers
since yours was bought. Probably only one Chinese manufacturer for all
brands anyway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:08:54 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
:

[...]

One "chinese manufacturer" does not always translate to one factory
or one design, or compatible parts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 10:36*pm, "
wrote:
Thanks, *Actually I wondered if the added complexity of a frost free
was worth getting. *After all if you just shut off the water every
fall there is no need for it.

Just because the OP installed the faucet doesn't mean he should (or
need) to know how it works on the inside.- Hide quoted text -

The added complexity is just a longer shaft from the handle to the
actual valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

This is exactly what I did. No idea why it fixed it but it did.

THANKS, for the advice.

Jim

On Jun 30, 6:39*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
1) shut off water to faucet
2) disassemble
3) clean, lube
4) reassemble

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's what I do, for about 90% of my repairs. I'm also not sure why it
works, but it's one of universe big secrets.

Thanks for the good news. Glad it worked.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

" wrote in
message
This is exactly what I did. No idea why it fixed it but it did.

THANKS, for the advice.

Jim

On Jun 30, 6:39 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
1) shut off water to faucet
2) disassemble
3) clean, lube
4) reassemble

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
:

This is exactly what I did. No idea why it fixed it but it did.

THANKS, for the advice.

Jim

On Jun 30, 6:39*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
1) shut off water to faucet
2) disassemble
3) clean, lube
4) reassemble

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
*www.lds.org

Party on Jimmy! Suds of success time :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in
:

wrote:
I just put in a frost free faucet. ツ*It was working OK for a
while but then it started to get not come on. ツ*If I played with
it (off, on, off, on ) then it would come on. ツ*Now no matter
what I do it won't come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm
sure that is not the issue and water does go to the pipe. ツ*I'm
thinking somehow it is the frost free faucet. ツ*Any suggestions
on how to repair it?

Hi,
You are the one who put it in. You are the one who should know
best what's going on.

Good advice except: ツ*Ever try to take one apart? ツ*The only time I
succeeded is after I dug it up, put it in a vice and used a BIG pipe
wrench. ツ*they are screwed together so tight you can't dissassemble
in place. ツ*At least I haven't succeded with 4 of mine and I tried
them all.

If I ever replace one of my bad ones, I will take it apart and
reassemble with reasonable torque before I install it.

Harry K

LOL, seeing as you it has to be taken apart
prior to the connection being soldered, umm...

Yeah...

I do not, and they do not recommend, solder to the faucet. Solder a
male thread adapter to the pipe and thread the faucet on to it with
either joint compound or teflon tape .

Turning faucet with wrench from outside to tighten... How's the torque
gonna fare with the pipe joints/t's/elbows inside? Guess a helper inside
holding wrench on adapter on inside pipe is necessary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 00:17:12 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

wrote in
:

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 14:12:32 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Jun 29, 11:40テつ*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Jun 29, 6:46テつ*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
I just put in a frost free faucet. テつ*It was working OK for a
while but then it started to get not come on. テつ*If I played with
it (off, on, off, on ) then it would come on. テつ*Now no matter
what I do it won't come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm
sure that is not the issue and water does go to the pipe. テつ*I'm
thinking somehow it is the frost free faucet. テつ*Any suggestions
on how to repair it?

Hi,
You are the one who put it in. You are the one who should know
best what's going on.

Good advice except: テつ*Ever try to take one apart? テつ*The only time I
succeeded is after I dug it up, put it in a vice and used a BIG pipe
wrench. テつ*they are screwed together so tight you can't dissassemble
in place. テつ*At least I haven't succeded with 4 of mine and I tried
them all.

If I ever replace one of my bad ones, I will take it apart and
reassemble with reasonable torque before I install it.

Harry K

LOL, seeing as you it has to be taken apart
prior to the connection being soldered, umm...

Yeah...

I do not, and they do not recommend, solder to the faucet. Solder a
male thread adapter to the pipe and thread the faucet on to it with
either joint compound or teflon tape .

Turning faucet with wrench from outside to tighten... How's the torque
gonna fare with the pipe joints/t's/elbows inside? Guess a helper inside
holding wrench on adapter on inside pipe is necessary.

Nope - not necessarily. Sometimes you can hold the fitting with one
wrench inside, and turn it with the second - also from inside. Better
yet, thread it up do the pipe, aith a union soldered to a length
suitable to get it back where you can work. To remove, undo the union
and pull it out.