Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frost Free faucet

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:08:54 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

" wrote in
:

Just to clarify, I had a plumber put it in. He told me to pick one up
from a big box store and he would put it in. I didn't put it in. I
also did not buy it from harbor freight, I bought it from Lowes.

You are the one who put it in. You are the one who should know best
what's going on.

Is a quarter turn one?

If it is, which many are these days, take it apart. As stated, it's a long
shaft that pulls out. Old style used to have just a washer at the end. 1/4
turn ones I've opened have a metal cartridge at the end. The cartridge is
attached to the shaft with a screw. Something is probably wrong with the
cartridge. It probably can be replaced. Not sure if you can buy just the
cartridge at a plumbing supply. May have to buy a whole sillcock and use
that cartridge. Same cartridge used for different sillcock lengths with
McLowes sillcocks. Hopefully they have not changed Chinese manufacturers
since yours was bought. Probably only one Chinese manufacturer for all
brands anyway.

One "chinese manufacturer" does not always translate to one factory
or one design, or compatible parts.