Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Frost Free faucet

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 00:17:12 +0000 (UTC), Red Green
wrote:

wrote in
:

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 14:12:32 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

On Jun 29, 11:40テつ*pm, Harry K wrote:
On Jun 29, 6:46テつ*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

wrote:
I just put in a frost free faucet. テつ*It was working OK for a
while but then it started to get not come on. テつ*If I played with
it (off, on, off, on ) then it would come on. テつ*Now no matter
what I do it won't come on. The water is turned on to it so I'm
sure that is not the issue and water does go to the pipe. テつ*I'm
thinking somehow it is the frost free faucet. テつ*Any suggestions
on how to repair it?

Hi,
You are the one who put it in. You are the one who should know
best what's going on.

Good advice except: テつ*Ever try to take one apart? テつ*The only time I
succeeded is after I dug it up, put it in a vice and used a BIG pipe
wrench. テつ*they are screwed together so tight you can't dissassemble
in place. テつ*At least I haven't succeded with 4 of mine and I tried
them all.

If I ever replace one of my bad ones, I will take it apart and
reassemble with reasonable torque before I install it.

Harry K

LOL, seeing as you it has to be taken apart
prior to the connection being soldered, umm...

Yeah...

I do not, and they do not recommend, solder to the faucet. Solder a
male thread adapter to the pipe and thread the faucet on to it with
either joint compound or teflon tape .

Turning faucet with wrench from outside to tighten... How's the torque
gonna fare with the pipe joints/t's/elbows inside? Guess a helper inside
holding wrench on adapter on inside pipe is necessary.

Nope - not necessarily. Sometimes you can hold the fitting with one
wrench inside, and turn it with the second - also from inside. Better
yet, thread it up do the pipe, aith a union soldered to a length
suitable to get it back where you can work. To remove, undo the union
and pull it out.