Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Reducing Dead Animal Smell

A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down the
interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an exterminator
company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died inside the wall a few
days ago, and now the room smells.

Short of tearing open the wall to remove the dead squirrel, is there
something that can be done to reduce the smell? We have put baking soda on
the carpet along the base of the wall, put out some solid air fresheners,
and spray, but no significant improvement.

This did happen once before a couple of years ago, and after several weeks
the smell completely dissipated. I'd rather not have to wait that long this
time, but might have to, unless some temporary solution exists, again short
of opening the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down
the interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an
exterminator company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died
inside the wall a few days ago, and now the room smells.

The company that performed this "service" for you was negligent for not
removing the squirrel (live or dead) *BEFORE* they sealed the entrance.

You're a dumb shmuck for allowing them to do that.

This did happen once before a couple of years ago

(throws up arms)

So you don't learn from your mistakes.

That's what I expect from Americans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:44:44 -0400, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
Short of tearing open the wall to remove the dead squirrel, is there
something that can be done to reduce the smell? We have put baking soda
on the carpet along the base of the wall, put out some solid air
fresheners, and spray, but no significant improvement.

Find another dead squirrel and keep it on the bedroom floor; the smell
should mask that of the one trapped in the wall.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, June 29, 2012 10:53:11 AM UTC-4, Home Guy wrote:
Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down
the interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an
exterminator company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died
inside the wall a few days ago, and now the room smells.

The company that performed this "service" for you was negligent for not
removing the squirrel (live or dead) *BEFORE* they sealed the entrance.

You're a dumb shmuck for allowing them to do that.

What do you want them to do, tear the whole house apart to catch the squirrel? Unless the ******* is sitting in the doorway staring them in the face, and it's **** drunk, there is no way to actively catch him.

May as well burn the damn house down, but that's probably what you backwoods Canucks do... or you just name it Aunt Rosie and set a place at the dinner table for it.

They close off the entrance, and set traps. SOP, and short of tearing the house apart, the only logical way to do it.

Squirrels are stupid. If they were smart they'd get hungry and go out the way they came in. They get stuck in a random wall cavity and die.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Go to Home Depot. Back in the cleaning supplies section. Zep makes some
really great odor neutralizer liquid. Mix up about five gallons of this.
Drill a half inch hole in the drywall near the top of the bay, where the
squirrel got in. Use a funnel, and pour in four or five gallons of odor
neutralizer. Should help with the smell.

You really think there is answer other than open the wall? I don't.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in message
A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down the
interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an exterminator
company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died inside the wall a few
days ago, and now the room smells.

Short of tearing open the wall to remove the dead squirrel, is there
something that can be done to reduce the smell? We have put baking soda on
the carpet along the base of the wall, put out some solid air fresheners,
and spray, but no significant improvement.

This did happen once before a couple of years ago, and after several weeks
the smell completely dissipated. I'd rather not have to wait that long this
time, but might have to, unless some temporary solution exists, again short
of opening the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2012 10:44 AM, Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:
A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down the
interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an
exterminator company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died inside
the wall a few days ago, and now the room smells.

Short of tearing open the wall to remove the dead squirrel, is there
something that can be done to reduce the smell? We have put baking soda
on the carpet along the base of the wall, put out some solid air
fresheners, and spray, but no significant improvement.

This did happen once before a couple of years ago, and after several
weeks the smell completely dissipated. I'd rather not have to wait that
long this time, but might have to, unless some temporary solution
exists, again short of opening the wall.

My son had the wall opened when this happened.
Not much more to do or wait it out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote in
:

A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down the
interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an
exterminator company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died
inside the wall a few days ago, and now the room smells.

Years ago I had that same problem with mice. I learned, then, why Bromone
is an imperfect solution to mice, even as it's wonderfully effective in
killing them...

Short of tearing open the wall to remove the dead squirrel, is there
something that can be done to reduce the smell?

In my experience, you basically have two options:
1) wait until the carcass mummifies, or
2) open the wall.

If you end up opening the wall, I hope you know exactly where he is,
otherwise you'll be searching stud-by-stud.

I feel for you. A squirrel is much larger than a mouse, and will take
longer to mummify. That stench is awful.

--
Tegger
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 12:31*pm, Tegger wrote:
[...]

Why not just a big window fan??????
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:53:11 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

You're a dumb shmuck for allowing them to do that.

Home Guy is the smartest man in the broom closet (and harry).

He knows what happens when a dog catches the car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Short of tearing open the wall to remove the dead squirrel, is there
something that can be done to reduce the smell?

Sure. Use the neighbors dog. It can find the smell in the cavity.
Watch his behavior.

Just above the bottom wall plate drill a 4" hole with a hole saw. Pull
the varmint out. Absent that, cover it with lye.

Putting your hand in a hole is better than tearing the wall out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 7:44*am, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down the
interior of a wall in our master bedroom. *We have since had an exterminator
company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died inside the wall a few
days ago, and now the room smells.

Short of tearing open the wall to remove the dead squirrel, is there
something that can be done to reduce the smell? *We have put baking soda on
the carpet along the base of the wall, put out some solid air fresheners,
and spray, but no significant improvement.

This did happen once before a couple of years ago, and after several weeks
the smell completely dissipated. *I'd rather not have to wait that long this
time, but might have to, unless some temporary solution exists, again short
of opening the wall.

May be wrong, but thought Fabreze neutralizes rotting protein smell.
Check with a rendering plant? What do they use.

Can find easily, watch for 'blue', or are those 'green'?, flies.
They'll congregate as close as possible to the corpse. circular
pattern on the exterior wall. I've seen those flies accumulate way
before an odor even starts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote:
A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down the
interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an
exterminator company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died inside
the wall a few days ago, and now the room smells.

Short of tearing open the wall to remove the dead squirrel, is there
something that can be done to reduce the smell? We have put baking soda
on the carpet along the base of the wall, put out some solid air
fresheners, and spray, but no significant improvement.

This did happen once before a couple of years ago, and after several
weeks the smell completely dissipated. I'd rather not have to wait that
long this time, but might have to, unless some temporary solution exists,
again short of opening the wall.

Aside from the good advise, use a large air cleaner with plenty of
activated charcoal. Get an automatic dispensing room freshener. Battery
operated.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 20:16:25 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Without a doubt, the best damn squirrel trap in the world, worth every
penny.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...atalog_Page.as

p?mi=4449&title=tube+trap+squirrel+trap

Steve

Ho do you trap a dead squirrel?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Without a doubt, the best damn squirrel trap in the world, worth every
penny.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...qui rrel+trap

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here in Utah, we just had the second death from hantavirus this year. It
comes from rodents, and squirrels fall into that category. This is nothing
to take lightly. Spray with Clorox and water mix when you open it up.
Spray it all with the Clorox mix, and wear rubber gloves and very good
masks. You may qualify for professional help from your health department.
I'd call them. If it was my house, I'd already have three sheets of drywall
off there, the insulation torn out, sprayed liberally (a lot of spray, not
sprayed by a liberal), and all the droppings and stained material removed.
You could have a serious contamination problem there. Definitely something
you want to clean up totally, not just remove the squirrel.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 20:16:25 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Without a doubt, the best damn squirrel trap in the world, worth every
penny.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...atalog_Page.as

p?mi=4449&title=tube+trap+squirrel+trap

Steve

Ho do you trap a dead squirrel?

Don't know if you followed the thread or not, but the conversation was
dwelling for a time there when the squirrel was alive and able to be
captured and avoid all the falderal.

Do try to keep up.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 21:28:41 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 20:16:25 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Without a doubt, the best damn squirrel trap in the world, worth every
penny.

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/pr...atalog_Page.as

p?mi=4449&title=tube+trap+squirrel+trap

Steve

Ho do you trap a dead squirrel?

Don't know if you followed the thread or not, but the conversation was
dwelling for a time there when the squirrel was alive and able to be
captured and avoid all the falderal.

Do try to keep up.

Steve

I followed the thread. The OP said it was dead in a wall. You
suggested a trap. Thus, I had to ask how you trap a DEAD squirrel.
I suppose someone will now ask "But how dead was it, on a scale from one
to ten?" Only the OP can answer that, but if it smells, I'd say it's a
ten.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Ho do you trap a dead squirrel?

You don't.

You allow it to leave before you close up the hole.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Home Guy" wrote in message ...
wrote:

Ho do you trap a dead squirrel?

You don't.

You allow it to leave before you close up the hole.

It was already dead.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis wrote:

Ho do you trap a dead squirrel?

You don't.

You allow it to leave before you close up the hole.

It was already dead.

Not according to your original post:

=========
A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down the
interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an
exterminator company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died inside
the wall a few
days ago, and now the room smells.
=========

The order of events as you first described the situation indicate that
the squirrel died after the opening into your walls were sealed off.

Do you now want to tell us the truth, or do you want to spin another
version of this story?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 07:39:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

You also want to keep more squirrels from finding the hole and getting in.

You sound like a woman.......
(especially one who hates men)!!!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Two thoughts.

Well, three. If you're handy at all, open the wall cavity and solve it quickly.

But if not,

Reduce the humidity in the room as much as possible to speed mummification. It won't be perfect because the interchange between room and cavity is probably small. But it might be worth setting a dehumidifier in the space anyway.

Add an ozone generator to the room. They can be amazingly effective at reducing organic smells. There is some speculation that they work more to desensitize the nose than actually remove the smell - some real flame wars over this in the past, but they seem to work. Some portable air cleaners include ozone generation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:07:18 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Two thoughts.

Well, three. If you're handy at all, open the wall cavity and solve it quickly.

Four:
Just remove that wall.
it's a common misconception that houses need 4 walls. This is not true.
Three walls will suffice. Just apply a blue plastic tarp whenever it
rains.

To remove the wall. Shut off electrical power, water, and gas. Take
chainsaw and cut the corners of the defective wall. When it's cut all
the way around, get some strong guys over. Get them drunk, and push the
wall outward until it falls. Once the wall is down, hook a chain to
that wall and the other end to your buddies redneck pickup truck (the
one with the dixie flag, number 69 on the doors, and naked woman picture
in rear window). Once the wall is securely chained to the truck, drink
lots more beer, then drive 100mph or faster down the highway. The wall
will just vanish after 20 miles or so. (Be sure to watch for that dead
skuirrell, and when it flies out of the wall, celebrate by chugging
another 12 pack, while driving faster than the speedometer will read).

Note: Before turning the power, water, and gas back on, contact the
electric company, gas company, and a plumber. They might need to seal
some pipes or wires with ducttape.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:
Two thoughts.

Well, three. If you're handy at all, open the wall cavity and solve it quickly.

But if not,

Reduce the humidity in the room as much as possible to speed
mummification. It won't be perfect because the interchange between room
and cavity is probably small. But it might be worth setting a
dehumidifier in the space anyway.

Add an ozone generator to the room. They can be amazingly effective at
reducing organic smells. There is some speculation that they work more
to desensitize the nose than actually remove the smell - some real flame
wars over this in the past, but they seem to work. Some portable air
cleaners include ozone generation.

It's hazardous to be in a room with ozone. Although a hospital uv light
fixture, claimed to be near zero ozone, help make the air smell sweet.
Ozone is for uninhabited rooms. It dissipates in short order, then you can
enter. The ozone goes back to oxygen.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 2, 2012 6:21:05 PM UTC-4, Gz wrote:
TimR wrote:
[...]

The EPA doesn't recommend them, and you make a good point about being cautious.

Still, I've seen a couple of warehouse situations with mold odors where they worked very well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR wrote:

The EPA doesn't recommend them, and you make a good point about being
cautious.

Still, I've seen a couple of warehouse situations with mold odors
where they worked very well.

If the EPA is against them, that's a mark in their favor!

Yes, Ozone generators, and not the piddly kind either, will rid a room of
any organic occupant - be it a smell or mold. It is used to clean up after
dead things and very dead things.

Junior Member

why don't you repair that hole in the wall?? Although its quite costly. but this is the only permanent solution from the awful smell of dead squirrel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 3 Jul 2012 20:54:50 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

TimR wrote:

The EPA doesn't recommend them, and you make a good point about being
cautious.

Still, I've seen a couple of warehouse situations with mold odors
where they worked very well.

If the EPA is against them, that's a mark in their favor!

I don't know if I'd say *against*-- but they sure aren't *for* them.
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/pubs/ozonegen.html

Yes, Ozone generators, and not the piddly kind either, will rid a room of
any organic occupant - be it a smell or mold. It is used to clean up after
dead things and very dead things.

And it is easy enough to run it when nobody is in the room--- kind
of like a bug bomb.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"aniejomes" wrote in message

why don't you repair that hole in the wall?? Although its quite costly.
but this is the only permanent solution from the awful smell of dead
squirrel.

aniejomes

Huh? Even if you have to go buy a small piece of drywall and a small bucket
of mud, you're in it about $8.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 07:29:51 -0700, Steve B wrote:

"aniejomes" wrote in message

why don't you repair that hole in the wall?? Although its quite costly.
but this is the only permanent solution from the awful smell of dead
squirrel.

aniejomes

Huh? Even if you have to go buy a small piece of drywall and a small
bucket of mud, you're in it about $8.

Well, potentially there's matching of paint or wallpaper to worry about,
or texturing on the wall (our house walls are all textured, and although
I can replace plain 'ol drywall, I have no idea how to do the texturing
and make it match the style that's already there so that it doesn't stand
out)

cheers

Jules
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, July 1, 2012 6:35:42 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
You sound like a woman.......
(especially one who hates men)!!!!

You sound like a tool......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:36:50 AM UTC-4, aniejomes wrote:
why don't you repair that hole in the wall?? Although its quite costly.
but this is the only permanent solution from the awful smell of dead
squirrel.

Even if you dig out the dead squirrel, it will be 7-10 days at least before the smell totally goes away...

If you think it smells bad now, just wait until you open up the wall... You thought it smelled bad on the OUTSIDE!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jules Richardson wrote:

Well, potentially there's matching of paint or wallpaper to worry
about, or texturing on the wall (our house walls are all textured,
and although I can replace plain 'ol drywall, I have no idea how to
do the texturing and make it match the style that's already there so
that it doesn't stand out)

Here's how:

Put some sheetrock mud in a bowl. Add water to make it somewhat liquid.

Dip a stiff brush in the mess.

Holding the brush upside down, flick spots of diluted joint compound at the
wall.

If not right, wipe off and start over with a thicker/thinner mixture.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aniejomes" wrote in message

why don't you repair that hole in the wall?? Although its quite costly.
but this is the only permanent solution from the awful smell of dead
squirrel.

aniejomes

Huh? Even if you have to go buy a small piece of drywall and a small
bucket of mud, you're in it about $8.

Well, potentially there's matching of paint or wallpaper to worry about,
or texturing on the wall (our house walls are all textured, and although
I can replace plain 'ol drywall, I have no idea how to do the texturing
and make it match the style that's already there so that it doesn't stand
out)

cheers

Jules

Sickening sweet smell in basement. Dead mouse???? Dirk Puslich Home Repair 21 December 31st 13 07:40 PM
OT - My Favorite Animal RAM³ Metalworking 8 June 5th 10 06:07 PM
Animal Control Trapper Ron Home Repair 0 April 18th 07 04:37 PM
Need help with my SONY KV-27V22 TV please (burning smell after turned off and TV now dead) [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 November 10th 06 02:04 AM
300W PC power supply, no POST beep, smell, smoke, bang,dead N Cook Electronics Repair 7 August 18th 05 01:33 AM