Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default Reducing Dead Animal Smell

"Dimitrios Paskoudniakis" wrote:
A squirrel made its way through an opening to the attic, then down the
interior of a wall in our master bedroom. We have since had an
exterminator company seal off the opening, but the squirrel died inside
the wall a few days ago, and now the room smells.

Short of tearing open the wall to remove the dead squirrel, is there
something that can be done to reduce the smell? We have put baking soda
on the carpet along the base of the wall, put out some solid air
fresheners, and spray, but no significant improvement.

This did happen once before a couple of years ago, and after several
weeks the smell completely dissipated. I'd rather not have to wait that
long this time, but might have to, unless some temporary solution exists,
again short of opening the wall.

Aside from the good advise, use a large air cleaner with plenty of
activated charcoal. Get an automatic dispensing room freshener. Battery
operated.

Greg