Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fuzzy Math

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:15:23 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jun 21, 8:56*pm, "
wrote:
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:30:55 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Jun 21, 12:13*am, "Steve B" wrote:
"Doug" wrote

I would have simply pointed out the logic that if there is a discount,
how could his discounted price be greater than the undiscounted price.
Even if he isn't good with numbers, he should see the logic I hope. If
not, then I'd say good bye to him. * And unless you have nothing
better to do, I wouldn't waste my time contacting them further. *I
mean do you really think you will make a difference????

If I get bad service at a restaurant, I won't leave before talking to the
manager. *If his response is unacceptable, I then will call corporate, or
whatever the contact person is. *You do no service by condoning poor service
and not speaking up.

Steve

That is really the best practice.

My son is in the "Hospitality Management" business. He put himself
through school by being a (very good) server and bartender.

The problem with not tipping a server who gave you poor service is
that the bartender, the cooks, the bus boys, etc. also don't get a
tip, even though they may have provided excellent service - service
that the patron didn't experience directly. The same goes for not
tipping a very polite and efficient server because the meal itself
sucked. The server gets no tip for her work when the problem was in
the kitchen.

Tough. *If my experience isn't up to expectations, for any reason, they all
suffer. *That's the whole point of tips.

ummm...that doesn't make sense, based on what you say next...read on.

Follow along...

In most major restaurants tips are shared across a number of staff
members, many of whom you never interact with, but that had a part in
your experience.

That ****es me off. *The tip is supposed to be for the server, not as a way
for management to cut costs. *I always pay the tip in cash (95% of the time,
the entire bill is in cash), for this reason.

Earlier you said that you want them all to suffer, so you don't tip,
yet it ****es you off if the tip gets shared.

They all suffer if the business goes under, as it should, no? Yes, sharing
tips does **** me off. I'm tipping for service, not to help pay the illegal
dish washer.

You can't have one without the other. If the normal practice wasn't to
share tips, how you you make the whole team suffer by not tipping?

Don't think much...

I'm not sure where you get the idea that the tip is supposed to be for
the server. As far as I know, the sharing of tips has been common
practice throughout the ages.

No, it is not, and is illegal in some places.

I know, I know...they are all part of a team and if one team member
screws up, the whole team loses. I get that.

Precisely. *If I knew the server was forced to give up any portion of the tip,
I wouldn't even be eating there in the first place.

Then stop going to restaurants, because now you know.

You're wrong. It's certainly not universal.

please trim your posts
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 07:19:42 -0400, "dadiOH" wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I can be lenient and still tip for poor service if I can tell that the
server is new and is at least trying. (Hwy, my son was new once and
I'm sure he made some mistakes.) It's the gruff, uncaring "seasoned"
servers who either have a lousy attitude or no attitude at all - they
just don't care - that I don't like.

The ones I dislike are those that squat/kneel beside your table, say,"How
are you guys tonight?", introduce themselves and tell me they will be our
server for the night.

1. Neither my wife nor I are guys. We aren't the waiter's contemporaries.

2. I don't care what their name is. If I want them I just say, "Waiter!".
Knowing their name has no effect on the tip.

3. What else would they be other than the server? I have no interest in
building a long term relationship with them.

The ones I like are those who bring food promptly, removing used plates
first. The ones of whom you are never aware once they have taken your
order. If you ever ate at the old Jack's in San Francisco, their waiters
were what I like. Professionals.

Depends on the restaurant. In a fine restaurant, I don't want to even know
the server exists. If I notice, it's because of bad service. OTOH, for a
Friday night at the pizza place, we enjoy the company of the server. In fact,
we've followed one around for a couple of years now. Everyone thinks we're
her parents. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 19, 1:52*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
I called an upholstery cleaning company, Coit, who shall remain nameless,
and asked, roughly, what it might cost to clean two love seats.

"Seventy-five dollars each, but this month we're having a 40% discount,"
said the nice lady.

"Send 'em over," I replied.

Tech comes in the next day, looks at the furniture, strokes his chin, and
sits down with a calculator (I should have know that was a bad sign).

Eventual estimate, after carrying the three, came out thusly:

$75 + $75 - 0.40 x ($150) = $200.36

I cursed him like a red-headed step-child and escorted him from the
building.

FOLLOW UP---
I called the company, COIT, who shall still remain nameless, and politely
inquired:
"Good afternoon. I am a dissatisfied prospective customer. May I speak to
whomever handles complaints?"

"The manager and supervisor are out of the office for a training session. I
can transfer you to their voice mail," was the official response.

"Hmm. Now I have two complaints," said I. "I'll try again tomorrow."

Continuing...

The way you have set that down makes no arithmetical sense either and
can't be solved. So now we all know your "maths" is no better than
his.
But he at least can presumably clean furniture.
While you can do none of these.
So. beside you, he is a prince and you are a dunce.

So why are you ringing his employer?

Ah it's the jewishness. Unable to forgive. Vindictive.

He is doing that low paid job because his "maths" is not good.
Just point out his error and leave the poor bugger alone? I expect
he has a hard time anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 22, 9:15*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 21, 8:56*pm, "

wrote:

[...]

However, getting the manager involved can help get to the root of the
problem.

It's not my job to train the staff, or the management.

One time the service that we experienced at the table was terrible but
the food (once the server got our order right) was excellent. I left
no tip with the bill but I found the manager and gave her the tip
explaining the issues. I told her to split the tip anyway she wanted
but that it would be my preference that the server got no part of it.
I can be lenient and still tip for poor service if I can tell that the
server is new and is at least trying. (Hwy, my son was new once and
I'm sure he made some mistakes.) It's the gruff, uncaring "seasoned"
servers who either have a lousy attitude or no attitude at all - they
just don't care - that I don't like.

I'm with you there, though my patience only goes so far (and is certainly a
function of other circumstances).- Hide quoted text -

Tipping is a very variable practice throughout the world.
In some countries it's considered insulting.
My experience is that staff are grateful for it in the USA as they
seem to be poorly paid.
In the UK tipping is unusual though not unknown, the staff have a
reasonable wage.

I suppose one benifit is that it incentivates them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:49:47 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

However, getting the manager involved can help get to the root of the
problem.

It's not my job to train the staff, or the management.

oh so many parents say that about their kids teachers

You are good at irrelevance.

Poor Skip****e. He's so worked up he can't even pass up things I post
in exchanges with other people.

Pathetic, really....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 15:08:49 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 20:49:47 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
wrote:

In article ,
" wrote:

However, getting the manager involved can help get to the root of the
problem.

It's not my job to train the staff, or the management.

oh so many parents say that about their kids teachers

You are good at irrelevance.

Poor Skip****e. He's so worked up he can't even pass up things I post
in exchanges with other people.

It is a public forum, lefty. If you don't like it, take it to email.

Pathetic, really....

All Democrats are pathetic. Fortunately, I'm not one of you.

A Warm Fuzzy J T Woodworking 2 July 7th 07 06:57 AM
Fuzzy TV picture [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 May 13th 07 12:23 PM
A Warm Fuzzy J T Woodworking 14 November 4th 06 10:17 PM
HP LAPTOP LCD FUZZY [email protected] Electronics Repair 7 September 12th 06 09:51 AM
Warm and Fuzzy . . . . . Phil Laird Woodworking 8 September 2nd 05 12:01 PM