Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default A Warm Fuzzy

Stopped in a Dollar Tree store today. I'd been planning a trip to
Harobor Freight to pick up a few things, including one or two tape
measures if I could find them on sale for a buck each. Turned out the
Dollar Tree has them, in several different colors. Got a yellow one.
Not for actually measuring, but for keeping handy when I'm pondering on
smoething and want to get a good estimate of what a specific measurement
is. Being so inexpensive it doesn't bother me if one gets lost.

At the same time picked up a 15 pack of 9"X11" sandpaper - 3
coarse, 5 medium, 5 fine, and 2 extra fine. AND, a 8 pack of AA
batteries, and a 8 pack of AAA batteries. Everything in the store is
$1, so paid a total of $5 and change - also got a little chef bear,
present for the dau-in-law, she collects chef stuff.

No way a gloat guys, after all I bought the stuff in a store, but
definitely a warm fuzzy. I'm gonna have to start checking in there on a
weekly, or semi-weekly, basis, as their stock does seem to change fairly
regularly.

JOAT
If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 2, 3:41 pm, (J T) wrote:
Stopped in a Dollar Tree store today.

At the same time picked up a 15 pack of 9"X11" sandpaper - 3
coarse, 5 medium, 5 fine, and 2 extra fine.

I've found they can be good for cheap extension cords and
rubbermaid-type containers also.
Let us know how the sandpaper works - my experiences with cheap
abrasives have not been pleasant. A 20-pack of Norton 3X at $10, costs
about 7 times more per sheet ($.50 instead of $.07), but if
dollar-store sandpaper is anything like HF sandpaper, I wouldn't use it
for most things even if it were free. Mine dulled almost instantly,
cloged soon after that, and little bits of grit fell off and scratched
where they weren't supposed to. On the other hand, if your new paper
is really a full 1/3 as good as Norton 3X, I'll agree it qualifies as a
warm fuzzy.
Glad you found a deal, and maybe I'll look for a couple "disposable"
tape measures also - it'd be nice to have some extras laying around.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

At the same time picked up a 15 pack of 9"X11" sandpaper - 3
coarse, 5 medium, 5 fine, and 2 extra fine. AND, a 8 pack of AA
batteries, and a 8 pack of AAA batteries. Everything in the store is
$1, so paid a total of $5 and change - also got a little chef bear,
present for the dau-in-law, she collects chef stuff.

Keep us posted on how the sandpaper works out JOAT. My experience with
discount sandpaper is that it sucks, but I'm always keeping my ear to the
ground for a decent deal that really works out. If you get the chance, try
some with water so you can tell us how the extra fine wet sands.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

My experience with the cheap sandpaper is the same as Andy's. I bought as
few packs of assorted grits at HF last year and the packs just sit in a
drawer unless I have something dirty and ugly to sand. The paper only lasts
seconds before it is clogged and the grit falls off. It's cheap, and almost
to the point of being unuseable. However, I also bought some rolls of emery
cloth sandpaper that are about 1" wide to use on lathe projects. It seems
to be OK and will last a little while before it's useless. Hope your dollar
store has better sandpaper than HF and enjoy the warm fuzzies. --dave

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 2, 3:41 pm, (J T) wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
Glad you found a deal, and maybe I'll look for a couple "disposable"
tape measures also - it'd be nice to have some extras laying around.

For a while, Menards (If you've never heard of them, count your
blessings. Their jingle is awful.) had these deals where certain
things every week were free after rebate. The catch was that the
rebates were good only for purchases at menards. The rebates would
arrive in the mail in the form of a postcard. Once my wife had a few,
she would go back the next week and buy whatever tools were free after
rebate, then pay for them with the rebate postcards. She setup a
pipeline like this with this week's received rebates always paying for
this week's loss leaders. She did this for about two years.

The end result is that I have 10 or 15 tape measures lying around. I
also have countless boxcutters. Some have little lights in them. Some
are unique shapes. Sometimes it was screwdrivers or hammers. I have
half a dozen claw hammers now. Once it was this universal screwdriver
thingy.

I'm not sure if they are still running this deal. But now that we have
a menards close to us again, maybe I should stop in and see if I can
get this going again.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave Jackson" wrote in
nk.net:

My experience with the cheap sandpaper is the same as Andy's. I
bought as few packs of assorted grits at HF last year and the packs
just sit in a drawer unless I have something dirty and ugly to sand.
The paper only lasts seconds before it is clogged and the grit falls
off. It's cheap, and almost to the point of being unuseable.
However, I also bought some rolls of emery cloth sandpaper that are
about 1" wide to use on lathe projects. It seems to be OK and will
last a little while before it's useless. Hope your dollar store has
better sandpaper than HF and enjoy the warm fuzzies. --dave

I bought the box of assorted roll ends and trimmings from Klingspor
sometime a year or two ago, for no more than $20, to use with turnings,
etc. First rate product at a really cheap price, and, at the rate I'm
using it, the grandkids will get to argue over it after the funeral.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 11:15:20 -0600, Patriarch
wrote:

I bought the box of assorted roll ends and trimmings from Klingspor
sometime a year or two ago, for no more than $20, to use with turnings,
etc. First rate product at a really cheap price, and, at the rate I'm
using it, the grandkids will get to argue over it after the funeral.

One of the best deals you can get anywhere. I keep pieces of sandpaper
all over the shop for those little touch-up jobs and just toss it if
it gets a bit clogged or dull. It really is a good plan to treat
sandpaper as if it were free.
--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

I tried the sandpaper today. I figure I'll get my buck's worth out
of it, but sure not more. It sands well enough for a few seconds, but
loads of pretty fast. I'll just be using it for touching up rough
spots, and then tossing it, so no big deal. I won't buy any more. But
that's OK, because the deal on the batteries alone more than makes up
for it.

JOAT
If it can't kill you, it ain't a sport.

Posted to rec.woodworking

But
that's OK, because the deal on the batteries alone more than makes up
for it.

The batteries will last as long

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...
"Dave Jackson" wrote in
nk.net:

My experience with the cheap sandpaper is the same as Andy's. I
bought as few packs of assorted grits at HF last year and the packs
just sit in a drawer unless I have something dirty and ugly to sand.
The paper only lasts seconds before it is clogged and the grit falls
off. It's cheap, and almost to the point of being unuseable.
However, I also bought some rolls of emery cloth sandpaper that are
about 1" wide to use on lathe projects. It seems to be OK and will
last a little while before it's useless. Hope your dollar store has
better sandpaper than HF and enjoy the warm fuzzies. --dave

I bought the box of assorted roll ends and trimmings from Klingspor
sometime a year or two ago, for no more than $20, to use with turnings,
etc. First rate product at a really cheap price, and, at the rate I'm
using it, the grandkids will get to argue over it after the funeral.

Geez, you must have some vicious grandchildren.

B.
Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
Stopped in a Dollar Tree store today....picked up a 15 pack of 9"X11" sandpaper

Yep, I did the same. It works fine, if you like your sandpaper dull
(and I do,
for some things- knocking hair off finishes by burnishing is just as
good as
by removing material).

The try square has a beveled reference surface (instead of square cross
section,
the block is parallelogram), and the paint brushes act like dirty stiff
ones straight
out of the package. But, a plastic speed square and polymer vernier
caliper
for a buck is a pretty good deal and is fine for keep-one-handy uses.
And
even a bad paint brush is luxurious for applying glue and adequate for
primer.

And of course, one never has too many clamps...