Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Jackson Dave Jackson is offline

Default A Warm Fuzzy

My experience with the cheap sandpaper is the same as Andy's. I bought as
few packs of assorted grits at HF last year and the packs just sit in a
drawer unless I have something dirty and ugly to sand. The paper only lasts
seconds before it is clogged and the grit falls off. It's cheap, and almost
to the point of being unuseable. However, I also bought some rolls of emery
cloth sandpaper that are about 1" wide to use on lathe projects. It seems
to be OK and will last a little while before it's useless. Hope your dollar
store has better sandpaper than HF and enjoy the warm fuzzies. --dave

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 2, 3:41 pm, (J T) wrote:
Stopped in a Dollar Tree store today.

At the same time picked up a 15 pack of 9"X11" sandpaper - 3
coarse, 5 medium, 5 fine, and 2 extra fine.

I've found they can be good for cheap extension cords and
rubbermaid-type containers also.
Let us know how the sandpaper works - my experiences with cheap
abrasives have not been pleasant. A 20-pack of Norton 3X at $10, costs
about 7 times more per sheet ($.50 instead of $.07), but if
dollar-store sandpaper is anything like HF sandpaper, I wouldn't use it
for most things even if it were free. Mine dulled almost instantly,
cloged soon after that, and little bits of grit fell off and scratched
where they weren't supposed to. On the other hand, if your new paper
is really a full 1/3 as good as Norton 3X, I'll agree it qualifies as a
warm fuzzy.
Glad you found a deal, and maybe I'll look for a couple "disposable"
tape measures also - it'd be nice to have some extras laying around.
Andy