Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The History of the Broom

"Among the family of housekeeping implements, the broom—humble, deceptively
simple in design, prone to leaning unobtrusively in corners—does not often
enjoy the recognition it deserves. Household cleanliness begins and ends at
the tips of a broom’s fibers, whether they’re natural or synthetic. A good,
stiff bundle of stick and straw can make equally easy work of a crumb-strewn
kitchen or a porch sagging with the weight of autumn leaves. ... But who
invented the broom? And why does it work the way it works?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...ame_flat_.html

[Spoiler: It was the Shakers]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 06:24:51 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"Among the family of housekeeping implements, the broom—humble, deceptively
simple in design, prone to leaning unobtrusively in corners—does not often
enjoy the recognition it deserves. Household cleanliness begins and ends at
the tips of a broom’s fibers, whether they’re natural or synthetic. A good,
stiff bundle of stick and straw can make equally easy work of a crumb-strewn
kitchen or a porch sagging with the weight of autumn leaves. ... But who
invented the broom? And why does it work the way it works?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...ame_flat_.html

Interesting read-- I bought my first house in Broome Center [named
for Broome Corn] so I grew it for a few years and made a 'ceremonial '
broom each year. Made me really appreciate a good Shaker Broom--

Now I live a few miles from the original Shaker's [Ann Lee] homestead.

They had a saying that went something like- "Work like you had forever
to finish the job, but treat each job as if it is the last one you'll
ever do."

I knew I butchered that-- This might be accurate;
http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/tag/kentucky
"“Do your work as though you had a thousand years to live and as if
you were to die tomorrow,

Good folk.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2012-06-13, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Interesting read--

Agreed. Ironic the article should include the broom's eventual
evolution to a Hoover Max Extract rug cleaner. I jes bought one,
recently, to remove stains from our rug. Not a bad product, specially
if you can buy it at a discount, as I did at Sears. Yet, despite my
having solved all stains rug, I'm still lacking an implement to
properly clean off our deck. Mom's old synthetic broom having died a
horrible UV plasic-cracking bristle bending death, looks like I'll be
buying a new one. I plan to go back to a plain wood and natural
bristle broom. Non-imported, if I can find one.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Among the family of housekeeping implements, the broom—humble, deceptively
simple in design, prone to leaning unobtrusively in corners—does not often
enjoy the recognition it deserves. Household cleanliness begins and ends at
the tips of a broom’s fibers, whether they’re natural or synthetic. A good,
stiff bundle of stick and straw can make equally easy work of a crumb-strewn
kitchen or a porch sagging with the weight of autumn leaves. ... But who
invented the broom? And why does it work the way it works?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...ame_flat_.html

[Spoiler: It was the Shakers]

I know more than one woman that flys on a broom!
They're called a witch, which is just a mispelling of the word "BITCH"!
I just wish they would fly away for good, and not come back!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not about brooms, but another saying. "Repent on the day before you
die."

Good folk.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Among the family of housekeeping implements, the broom—humble, deceptively
simple in design, prone to leaning unobtrusively in corners—does not often
enjoy the recognition it deserves. Household cleanliness begins and ends at
the tips of a broom’s fibers, whether they’re natural or synthetic. A good,
stiff bundle of stick and straw can make equally easy work of a crumb-strewn
kitchen or a porch sagging with the weight of autumn leaves. ... But who
invented the broom? And why does it work the way it works?"

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...ame_flat_.html

[Spoiler: It was the Shakers]

I thought it was Harold Broom.

BTW, I believe it was a Shaker woman who invented the circular saw.

Unfortutely the Shakers befieved in celibacy, and when they stopped
attracting new members, they died out.

reduce diameter of broom handle to fit broom head [email protected] UK diy 23 January 8th 20 03:28 PM
Wood broom handle fit problem Tom Gardner Woodworking 5 August 2nd 06 03:55 AM
Broom Hilda Bill Gill Home Repair 0 October 16th 05 02:26 PM
If you turn Scotch Broom are you a turning addict? charlie b Woodturning 9 October 6th 05 08:19 PM
Broom Handle Thread Specs? Peter T. Keillor III Metalworking 16 February 5th 05 06:40 AM