Posted to alt.home.repair

Default coats of paint

I've got a couple of rooms that have a medium to dark color (I think
brown and some navy blue stripe) and I want to paint it like a coconut
or off white color. I'm expecting 2 coats of a decent quality paint
to cover it but is it possible it could take 3 coats of paint? I
realize I'll know this once the 2 coats are on it but for now, what is
your guess?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/2012 2:40 PM, Doug wrote:
I've got a couple of rooms that have a medium to dark color (I think
brown and some navy blue stripe) and I want to paint it like a coconut
or off white color. I'm expecting 2 coats of a decent quality paint
to cover it but is it possible it could take 3 coats of paint? I
realize I'll know this once the 2 coats are on it but for now, what is
your guess?

depends upon what you're using for paint.

you might go with a primer base, tinted to 50% of your eventual eventual
color, followed by a coat of good paint.

my guess is you won't know until you get 2 coats up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/2012 5:56 PM, chaniarts wrote:
On 6/12/2012 2:40 PM, Doug wrote:
I've got a couple of rooms that have a medium to dark color (I think
brown and some navy blue stripe) and I want to paint it like a coconut
or off white color. I'm expecting 2 coats of a decent quality paint
to cover it but is it possible it could take 3 coats of paint? I
realize I'll know this once the 2 coats are on it but for now, what is
your guess?

depends upon what you're using for paint.

you might go with a primer base, tinted to 50% of your eventual eventual
color, followed by a coat of good paint.

my guess is you won't know until you get 2 coats up.

The better paints have more hiding power due to higher pigment content.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug" wrote:
I've got a couple of rooms that have a medium to dark color (I think
brown and some navy blue stripe) and I want to paint it like a coconut
or off white color. I'm expecting 2 coats of a decent quality paint
to cover it but is it possible it could take 3 coats of paint? I
realize I'll know this once the 2 coats are on it but for now, what is
your guess?

I used behr paint with primer, one coat. I had to be careful to look for
spots that didn't cover. Your colors, probably 2 coats. I painted my
kitchen red, at least 4 coats using the old glidden without primer. Red
over white.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 14:56:38 -0700, chaniarts
wrote:

On 6/12/2012 2:40 PM, Doug wrote:
I've got a couple of rooms that have a medium to dark color (I think
brown and some navy blue stripe) and I want to paint it like a coconut
or off white color. I'm expecting 2 coats of a decent quality paint
to cover it but is it possible it could take 3 coats of paint? I
realize I'll know this once the 2 coats are on it but for now, what is
your guess?

depends upon what you're using for paint.

you might go with a primer base, tinted to 50% of your eventual eventual
color, followed by a coat of good paint.

my guess is you won't know until you get 2 coats up.

You need a high hide paint. A bit of raw umber and black added to a
white makes for a pretty good hide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gregz" wrote in message
"Doug" wrote:
I've got a couple of rooms that have a medium to dark color (I think
brown and some navy blue stripe) and I want to paint it like a coconut
or off white color. I'm expecting 2 coats of a decent quality paint
to cover it but is it possible it could take 3 coats of paint? I
realize I'll know this once the 2 coats are on it but for now, what is
your guess?

If you want to be safe and not have to worry about the number of coats
of paint, you might consider a single coat of a white primer first and then
the paint. I like to think of it as creating a white canvas for my topcoat
of paint. I like using BIN but there are water based alternatives.

Good Luck.