Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 1 coat of prime + 2 coats of paint?

I have always done a single coat of prime - usually I go with Benjamin
Moore's Fresh Start then two coats of paint, and that worked well.

Now I need to paint some exterior fascia, and soffit ceiling on the exterior
eave areas. The fascia is high up so I have to paint on a ladder, and the
soffit ceiling is T4 T&G so I have to use a roller from the ground and then
get up there with a paint brush to make sure I get everything in the
grooves. It's 90 degrees out in Miami FL and this is pretty brutal.

So...I am thinking of some shortcuts.

The soffit ceiling is T4 T&G boards, the fascia is 4 cascading layers of 1x6
PT.

Can I do two coats total instead of one? Say I tint the white primer to the
top coat color, then apply top coat, is that ok? or better bite the bullet
and do it right?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

Can I do two coats total instead of one? Say I tint the white primer to
the top coat color, then apply top coat, is that ok? or better bite the
bullet and do it right?

I'd go with the tinted primer and one coat over it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:

[...]

Wait until October - cooler, dryer ) We had our condo painted in 2001
- contractor recommended primer
plus 2 coats. Conc. block and stucco, wood fascia and soffits, cement
board ceiling in atrium. Didn't want
to pay for 2 coats, he said one would be ok. Two weeks prep, pressure
washing and patching to get rid
of remnants of previous horrible paint job. It's been 7 years, paint in
perfect condition. With good prep and
proper coverage, why not? If you are changing color, you may need two
coats of paint to hide old color.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

Can I do two coats total instead of one? Say I tint the white primer to
the top coat color, then apply top coat, is that ok? or better bite the
bullet and do it right?

I'd go with the tinted primer and one coat over it.

Me too. I might also suggest duct taping a brush to a pole to get into the
grooves without using the ladder.
Tomes

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
I have always done a single coat of prime - usually I go with Benjamin
Moore's Fresh Start then two coats of paint, and that worked well.

Now I need to paint some exterior fascia, and soffit ceiling on the exterior
eave areas. The fascia is high up so I have to paint on a ladder, and the
soffit ceiling is T4 T&G so I have to use a roller from the ground and then
get up there with a paint brush to make sure I get everything in the
grooves. It's 90 degrees out in Miami FL and this is pretty brutal.

So...I am thinking of some shortcuts.

The soffit ceiling is T4 T&G boards, the fascia is 4 cascading layers of 1x6
PT.

Can I do two coats total instead of one? Say I tint the white primer to the
top coat color, then apply top coat, is that ok? or better bite the bullet
and do it right?

Why not 1 coat of BM self priming solid acrylic latex stain, and be done
with it?

It's about $39 a gallon if you don't have a contractors discount, or if
its not on sale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 8:10*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
[...]

90s are the limit and maybe to hot for latex painting, it cures to
fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 13, 9:10*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I have always done a single coat of prime - usually I go with Benjamin
Moore's Fresh Start then two coats of paint, and that worked well.

Now I need to paint some exterior fascia, and soffit ceiling on the exterior
eave areas. *The fascia is high up so I have to paint on a ladder, and the
soffit ceiling is T4 T&G so I have to use a roller from the ground and then
get up there with a paint brush to make sure I get everything in the
grooves. *It's 90 degrees out in Miami FL and this is pretty brutal.

So...I am thinking of some shortcuts.

The soffit ceiling is T4 T&G boards, the fascia is 4 cascading layers of 1x6
PT.

Can I do two coats total instead of one? *Say I tint the white primer to the
top coat color, then apply top coat, is that ok? *or better bite the bullet
and do it right?

Primer is not paint and does not wear as well as paint. You will get
much longer life out of your paint job if you do primer plus two coats
of paint. I don't understand why you'd roll from the ground then go
up the ladder with a brush. If it's low enough to be rolled from the
ground, can't you rig up some plank scaffolding? If it's too hot now,
wait a month.

I don't know why you used pressure treated for the fascia,
particularly 4 layers of 1x6. PT wood is not the best choice if you
want paint to stick. Using an expanded PVC product like Azek would
cost a bit more initially, but it takes and holds paint beautifully.
Azek also starts out white - if there's white trim you don't
necessarily even have to paint it.

Building up base-coat plaster, in two coats Anode UK diy 2 December 5th 06 07:18 PM
Window sills: Prime, Paint Caulk or Prime Caulk Paint? Alan Smithee Home Repair 4 April 18th 05 04:03 PM
Prime Flaky Paint ? Neil Home Repair 3 August 17th 04 07:22 PM
Ceiling Paint - Prime First? Mick Home Repair 14 August 11th 04 02:33 AM