Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need some creative ideas

Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light _centered_
over sink. The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in the center
of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord & hide it? Was
checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I need.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/11/2012 12:56 PM, Gomba wrote:
Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light _centered_
over sink. The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in the center
of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord& hide it? Was
checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I need.

Probably easiest is the "pancake" box...

http://www.drillspot.com/products/112172/Raco_293_Round_Pancake_Box

Remove the sheetrock where needed, drill hole for the wiring and away
ya' goes...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 12:56*pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. *Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light _centered_
over sink. *The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in the center
of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord & hide it? *Was
checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I need.

Thanks

You can put the box off a foot or so from where the light is to hang,
then put a hook into the ceiling exactly where you want the light to
hang, and put the pendant light on a chain that is 15 - 18 inches
longer than you need it to be and you will have a long enough chain to
go from the box, drooping down a couple of inches, then back up to the
hook and then down to the light. I think it's called a swag lamp. I
had to do that with a dining room chandelier (fairly small) and it
looks just fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 1:56*pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. *Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light _centered_
over sink. *The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in the center
of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord & hide it? *Was
checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I need.

Thanks

Would mounting the box on the side of cord and using a large medallion
work?

This place carries medallions in sizes from under 18" to over 3 feet,
in round, oval, square, octogon, etc.

Are you sure you can't find one that will work to center the light but
hide the uncentered box?

http://www.wishihadthat.com/polyuret...edallions.aspx
Posted to alt.home.repair

Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light
_centered_ over sink. The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in
the center of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord & hide it?
Was checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I
need.

*You can mount a pancake box right on the bottom of the truss and it will be
flush with the finished ceiling.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you check the lumen output of
the LED recessed lights compared to halogen or regular incandescent. Upon
request I have installed LED recessed light trims in 6" cans and the light
output has always been disappointing. They appear to be equivalent to a 60
watt incandescent bulb.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 11, 4:03*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

The OP said he/she wanted to put in a pendant lamp, as far as I know,
that means hanging down from the ceiling, not recessed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

--

Very cool, ordered it yesterday on the 12th, tracking says it's out for
delivery already. Will receive today the 13th!