DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need some creative ideas (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/342249-need-some-creative-ideas.html)

Gomba June 11th 12 06:56 PM

Need some creative ideas

Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light _centered_
over sink. The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in the center
of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord & hide it? Was
checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I need.

Thanks

dpb June 11th 12 07:11 PM

Need some creative ideas

On 6/11/2012 12:56 PM, Gomba wrote:
Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light _centered_
over sink. The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in the center
of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord& hide it? Was
checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I need.

Probably easiest is the "pancake" box...

http://www.drillspot.com/products/112172/Raco_293_Round_Pancake_Box

Remove the sheetrock where needed, drill hole for the wiring and away
ya' goes...

hr(bob) [email protected] June 11th 12 07:11 PM

Need some creative ideas

On Jun 11, 12:56*pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. *Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light _centered_
over sink. *The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in the center
of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord & hide it? *Was
checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I need.

Thanks

You can put the box off a foot or so from where the light is to hang,
then put a hook into the ceiling exactly where you want the light to
hang, and put the pendant light on a chain that is 15 - 18 inches
longer than you need it to be and you will have a long enough chain to
go from the box, drooping down a couple of inches, then back up to the
hook and then down to the light. I think it's called a swag lamp. I
had to do that with a dining room chandelier (fairly small) and it
looks just fine.

DerbyDad03 June 11th 12 07:34 PM

Need some creative ideas

On Jun 11, 1:56*pm, "Gomba" wrote:
Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. *Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light _centered_
over sink. *The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in the center
of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord & hide it? *Was
checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I need.

Thanks

Would mounting the box on the side of cord and using a large medallion
work?

This place carries medallions in sizes from under 18" to over 3 feet,
in round, oval, square, octogon, etc.

Are you sure you can't find one that will work to center the light but
hide the uncentered box?

http://www.wishihadthat.com/polyuret...edallions.aspx

John Grabowski June 11th 12 10:03 PM

Need some creative ideas

Remodeling kitchen, the sink faced an interior wall. Shortening up a
window, then intend to place sink under it. Will have plenty of lighting,
putting 8 LED can lights. However, want to place a pendant light
_centered_ over sink. The bottom cord of a truss sits almost smack dab in
the center of the window.

How can I mount an electrical box on the bottom of the cord & hide it?
Was checking out medallions, can't seem to find one for the application I
need.

*You can mount a pancake box right on the bottom of the truss and it will be
flush with the finished ceiling.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest that you check the lumen output of
the LED recessed lights compared to halogen or regular incandescent. Upon
request I have installed LED recessed light trims in 6" cans and the light
output has always been disappointing. They appear to be equivalent to a 60
watt incandescent bulb.

hr(bob) [email protected] June 12th 12 02:38 AM

Need some creative ideas

On Jun 11, 4:03*pm, "John Grabowski" wrote:
[...]

The OP said he/she wanted to put in a pendant lamp, as far as I know,
that means hanging down from the ceiling, not recessed.

dpb June 12th 12 03:17 AM

Need some creative ideas

On 6/11/2012 8:38 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

The OP said he/she wanted to put in a pendant lamp, as far as I know,
that means hanging down from the ceiling, not recessed.

Yes, and his problem was he couldn't put the center of the box where he
wanted it to hang the fixture from w/o cutting the lower chord of the truss.

The pancake box lets him do that...

Gomba June 12th 12 02:39 PM

Need some creative ideas

"dpb" wrote in message
On 6/11/2012 8:38 PM, hr(bob) wrote:

The OP said he/she wanted to put in a pendant lamp, as far as I know,
that means hanging down from the ceiling, not recessed.

Yes, and his problem was he couldn't put the center of the box where he
wanted it to hang the fixture from w/o cutting the lower chord of the
truss.

The pancake box lets him do that...

--

Perfect! Many thanks to everyone.

Gomba June 13th 12 01:05 PM

Need some creative ideas

"dpb" wrote in message
[...]

Very cool, ordered it yesterday on the 12th, tracking says it's out for
delivery already. Will receive today the 13th!