Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Consumer Reports

Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen
for appliences in their surveys?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Swami adjusts his turban, polishes his crystal ball, and plays clarinet,
until the snake dances. Looks wistfully, at Jupiter in the western quadrant.
Breathes in slowly, and says.......

"how, the hell would I know why they do what they do? Go ask them,
yourself."

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen
for appliences in their surveys?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2012 9:39 PM, Molly Brown wrote:
Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen
for appliences in their surveys?

It's funny you mentioned Speed Queen tonight. I was reading some
reports on my wife's pension plan after dinner, and her plan owns a
large chunk of the parent company of Speed Queen. That's twice in about
4 hours I've heard of this company.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 6:56*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Swami adjusts his turban, polishes his crystal ball, and plays clarinet,
until the snake dances. Looks wistfully, at Jupiter in the western quadrant.

Posted to alt.home.repair
SRN SRN is offline

"Molly Brown" wrote in message
Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen
for appliences in their surveys?

I just went on their site and while I didn't find "Hilti" in a search, I did
find two Speed Queen washers that were tested.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen
for appliences in their surveys?

Hi,
I believe they are not consumer grade stuffs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 10, 9:14*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen
for appliences in their surveys?

Hi,
I believe they are not consumer grade stuffs.

It’s not even on the list as I see it:

http://web.consumerreports.org/dryer...sher_and_dryer

If they’re not consumer grade then are they commercial grade, and if
so, isn’t that better?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen
for appliences in their surveys?

Hi,
I believe they are not consumer grade stuffs.

It’s not even on the list as I see it:

http://web.consumerreports.org/dryer...sher_and_dryer

If they’re not consumer grade then are they commercial grade, and if
so, isn’t that better?

Sure, but did you notice the name of the publication is CONSUMER
Reports.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, June 10, 2012 8:39:01 PM UTC-5, Molly Brown wrote:
Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen
for appliences in their surveys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaXHTFycEgU
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://web.consumerreports.org/dryer...EY=SM72A00&CMP....

If they’re not consumer grade then are they commercial grade, and if
so, isn’t that better?

Sure, but did you notice the name of the publication is CONSUMER
Reports.

Merriam Webster

Consumer: one that utilizes economic goods.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consumer

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
Why does Consumer Reports does not have Hilti for tools or Speed Queen
for appliences in their surveys?

Hi,
I believe they are not consumer grade stuffs.

It’s not even on the list as I see it:

http://web.consumerreports.org/dryer...EY=SM72A00&CMP...

If they’re not consumer grade then are they commercial grade, and if
so, isn’t that better?

Sure, but did you notice the name of the publication is CONSUMER
Reports.

Merriam Webster

Consumer: one that utilizes economic goods.

Think consumer vs. commercial grade. Usually there is a distinction
between them. And I believe commercial is always higher in price
which makes most consumers go toward the consumer grade items. Of
course if you are willing to pay more, I think in most (not sure if
all) cases you can buy the commercial grade.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consumer

Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

I just bought speed queen and cost was about the same. BUT the value
was HEADS above anything could get in 'consumer' grade, which appears
to be a euphemism for c***.

I had a lot of respect for CR UNTIL I went to buy a VCR and purchased
their magazine that reviewed a quite a few. I needed to find out
which one had the least jitter in their display, because I had noticed
that between the old films jumping up and down and the VCR jitter
bouncing side to side, one could get really nauseous. so let's find
out which one has the least jitter, best bandwidth, and lasted a long
time.

First comment from CR was VCR's are pretty much all alike [NO THEY
AREN'T!!] so we'll review their features...nothing about jitter,
nothing about bandwidth, nothing about reliability but only about
features, which is the ONE thing I didn't care about!

Next time I wanted to replace a hair dryer for wife. Just wanted to
find out three things temperature of air upon exit, what is volume of
air against a 1 inch head, and NOISE [give me a dBA rating, does it
hurt your ears?]. Sales people are useless, because they say things
like "It's 1500W with 3 settings" Even manufacturers didn't publish
those three MOST important performance specs. Never found anything, so
gave up ever using CR again.

Well, tried one more time to find the best TV large LCD screen, but
the internet discussions were far better - and interactive, so again
CR lost. Methinks CR has turned into something akin to a buggy whip,
or bound paper encyclopedias.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Jun 10, 9:14Â*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

And "proffesional grade" SHOULD be better than "commercial"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

Do you consider this high price?:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CKcBEPMCMAE
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If they’re not consumer grade then are they commercial grade, and if
so, isn’t that better?

Sure, but did you notice the name of the publication is CONSUMER
Reports.

Merriam Webster

Consumer: one that utilizes economic goods.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consumer

So you contradicted yourself if you believe that is the only way the
word is used. In context, commercial and industrial grades are not the
same as CONSUMER grade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If they’re not consumer grade then are they commercial grade, and if
so, isn’t that better?

Sure, but did you notice the name of the publication is CONSUMER
Reports.

Merriam Webster

Consumer: one that utilizes economic goods.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consumer

So you contradicted yourself if you believe that is the only way the
word is used. In context, commercial and industrial grades are not the
same as CONSUMER grade.

Only if you believe that anyone engaged in commerce does not utilize
goods.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

What are you comparing it to? Or if you can't afford it, well yes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

http://www.google.com/products/catal...sher&hl=en&bav...

What are you comparing it to? * *Or if you can't afford it, well yes.

I'm comparing it to what you have in your house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Molly Brown wrote:
[...]

Which house? I have more than one?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If they’re not consumer grade then are they commercial grade, and if
so, isn’t that better?

Sure, but did you notice the name of the publication is CONSUMER
Reports.

Merriam Webster

Consumer: one that utilizes economic goods.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/consumer

So you contradicted yourself if you believe that is the only way the
word is used. In context, commercial and industrial grades are not the
same as CONSUMER grade.

Only if you believe that anyone engaged in commerce does not utilize
goods.- Hide quoted text -

I guess you better have a discussion with the FEDS
over at the Dept of Commerce. Seems they've
been issuing reports for decades on things like
Consumer Spending. Which is spending by
households, ie seperate from business spending,
which is reported seperately

In the case in point, just looking at the Consumer
Reports website it's obvious that the vast majority
of what they rate is targeted at households. Some
overlap, like a video recorder that could also be used
by a business, sure. But I don't see why anyone
would expect them to rate commercial products.
With that DVD example, would you expect them
to be rating video recorder eqpt that pro videographers,
CBS, etc would typically use?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If I could get a “video recorder eqpt that pro videographers,
CBS, etc would typically use” for about the same price as what a department store sells, especially if it was a lot more reliable, why the hell not.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, you can't. Kinda makes your post foolish, no?